National Running Day!

As I’m sure most of you are aware, today is National Running Day.  It’s celebrated on the first Wednesday of June every year.  If you visit the official website, you can pick up a blank bib, Facebook cover photo, Twitter header, and blank templates to create your own “I Run” statement.  You can also pledge any miles that you run today to the charity of your choice through Charity Miles.

8020_1401884866.39109

I got up and ran 3.1 miles this morning, and did a lot of reflecting on why I run.  There is no doubt in my mind that running helps me to be my best self.  Since I started running regularly, I am calmer and happier.  My emotions are on a much more even keel–I haven’t had a stress cry/tantrum in I don’t know how long.  I sleep better.  I eat better.  I have more self confidence.  I am stronger.  More motivated. My will power has increased– when the alarm goes off at 5:30 am, I jump out of bed and pull on my running clothes, instead of hitting the snooze button.  I am dedicated and focused on a goal.  I am following through on a training plan for the first time in my life.

My life has changed (and improved) in so many ways in the 3 months since I started training for my first half marathon, but the thing I am most grateful for is the supportive group of friends that I have made through this blog.  It’s wonderful to have people to ask advice of, to vent to, and to share my accomplishments with, who totally understand what I’m going through.  When I talk about training to my “normal” friends their eyes start to glaze over and I can tell they think I’m crazy.  But here, I can talk about PRs and chafing and bodily functions to my heart’s content, and actually have people talk back!

It’s been a crazy 3 months, and in about 3 weeks, I will be running “the big one”–my first half marathon.  I’m so excited to see where running will take me in the next 3 months, 3 years, and beyond!

Why do YOU run?

17 thoughts on “National Running Day!

Hey! Did you notice that one of the photos on the main page of the National Running Day site is of Watertown?? The fence with “RUN —>” is just down the street from where I used to live, and I just got way too excited when I recognized it, haha 🙂

Why do I run? It’s a good question. I could say I run to stay fit and to stay sane, but that’s not why I started running. I don’t really have a good answer to that question, but I do know I’m glad I did start running!

2. prairieprincessrunners says:

I started running out of a combo of wanting to lose weight and a friend challenging me to run a half marathon with her once I finished my Masters degree. Little did she know that she would create a monster! Hah!

I love the part about your the non-running friends with their glazed over eyes when you talk about it. I feel that way ALL the time. Even with my husband. He is as supportive as he can be, but I know he doesn’t really get it. 🙂 Love this post and HAPPY NATIONAL RUNNING DAY!

Running is like a relationship that you didn’t know you wanted–you dabble in it just for fun, fall into it, question it, try to convince yourself otherwise, and before you know it, you are in love and it has become a part of you. I was the kid who finished last in the mile, who was told NOT to run because of the stress it would put on my body. Now look at me. Part of the blog world, advertising herself as a runner, running half and full marathons.
    Who would have thought? Not I.
    I, for one, am so glad that we are both a part of this little world of legs, sneakers, GPS, chafing, splits, and fartleks.

5. irishrunnerchick says:

I never would’ve imagined voluntarily getting out of bed at 530 AM to exercise before I started running. It’s strange what this addiction will get you doing. And I’m glad to have this running blogging community so I can get all my run talk out of the way before I go hang out with the ‘norms’ LOL!

6. themilereport says:

Running has made me a better person as well–the will power I’ve learned from getting up early and from not stopping when I’m tired has helped with non-running parts of life!

Good luck with your first half!