Friday Free-For-All (Six)

Welcome to the Friday Free-For-All, where I talk about anything and everything on my mind.  Sometimes, it even makes sense!

This is the first time I’ve scheduled a post to go up when I’m out of town.  Woo, fancy blogger, right here!  Usually I just don’t worry about posting while I’m away, but I wanted to get back to my regular schedule, and I haven’t done a Friday Free-For-All post in a while.  On a related note:

I’m traveling again this weekend!  It’s Ben’s annual family reunion in Warren, ME.  We’ll be tenting out on his cousin’s farm and enjoying lots of home cooked food, beer, seafood, cornhole, and swimming.  I think it will be a much more relaxing trip than the breakneck pace of SF last weekend.  And it’s always good to see Ben’s extended family.  They’re pretty awesome 🙂

Confession:  I haven’t run since the half two weeks ago.  At first, it was because I was trying to rest after the half.  Then, it was because the pain in my right foot that surfaced a few months ago, then went away for a while, has mysteriously come back.  It’s not severe, I’m just being paranoid careful.  This week, it’s mostly because I’ve been busy.  A whirlwind weekend in San Francisco, four busy days at work, and another weekend away.  I’ll try to squeeze in a run this weekend, but if I don’t, I’m not worried.  Taking a break has been really nice.  However, I know I’m ready to get back at it, because every time I’ve seen a runner out and about the last few days, I’ve been SUPER jealous.

Click for Source

Click for Source

I really need some more supportive non-running shoes.  I think part of the problem for my injured foot is that when I’m not running, I wear crap shoes.  My everyday work shoes are sandals that are 100% flat–no arch support, no cushion, no nothing.  When I’m not wearing those, I’m wearing flip flops.  Most of my flats have really flimsy soles and not a lot of cushion.  I may explore some kind of inserts for my flats, and I need to find more comfy work shoes.  I’m hoping that will solve the foot problem going forward.

#100happydays.  My friend Krissy (the one from SF), cajoled me into jumping on this bandwagon.  I was hesitant about the commitment, and her words were, “Duh, it’s supposed to be challenging, that’s the point–find happiness every day!”  OK, fine.  I’m in.  I’ll be posting my pics for the #100happydays challenge on Instagram and Twitter if you’re interested 🙂

So there you have it–my weekly brain-dump.  I hope you all enjoy your weekend!  I know I will 🙂

Do you travel a lot during the summer?

When was the last time you “took a break” from running?

Any suggestions for inserts/supportive sandals?

14 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All (Six)

Definitely get some better around town shoes. I recently got a pair of sperrys, and they are great for that purpose. Also those Birkenstock thong style is really popular again, and Reef and ToeGoz (or whatever it is) flip flops are better than regular ones. Try icing and massaging the foot as well–you could just have some minor inflammation that needs to be broken up.

2. prairieprincessrunners says:

May I ask what cornhole is? I’ve always heard it mentioned in American TV shows, but have no idea what it is..well, aside from the fact that it probably involves corn. 😉

Oh and last running break started in January and went through March–stupid Achilles tendon. Enjoy your break as it usually means you will come back stronger and faster. 🙂

UGH RIGHT NOW. And I’m going bonkers. I wish I was every other runner that I see out there! I hope your foot is feeling good and you are smart to take that break after your half. 🙂

4. dnardi710 says:

I took a decent break from running after my half in March. Having done a fall marathon and then Dopey I definitely felt like I needed a break! I always think it’s best to listen to your body and give it a rest if it needs it.

Do you need dress/ nice shoes sandals for work or something casual? It definitely is important to wear good shoes as much as possible, but I’m admittedly a flip flop person whenever I’m not in running sneakers!

It’s business casual, so I could get away with a pair of sneakerish flats or something. I need to hit up Famous Footwear or something and just try a bunch of things on. Wearing flip flops and flat sandals every day just isn’t cutting it!

Oof, I’m still coming back from my “break” after my ankle injury. (I’d say my ankle is like 90-95%??) While I was sidelined I should have worn that bib you posted… I was SO jealous of anyone I saw running! Drove me crazy.

I wish I traveled more during the summer! We usually take a weekend or two to go somewhere driveable, and sometimes I’ll go to a work-related conference (New Orleans and Chicago in the past), but summer is our busiest time at work so finagling time off can be tricky. So cool you were in Warren… I love that area! My family used to vacation in Rockland when I was growing up, and Drew and I took our mini-honeymoon in Camden 🙂

Just keep plugging along and hopefully your ankle will be 100% soon! You’ve been taking really good care of it 🙂 Maine is so pretty! I’m super jealous of your Portland trip–I’ve gotta get back there soon!