Remember that Time I Started a Healthy Eating Challenge?

Cast your memory back to, oh, about a month ago, maybe a bit more.  I decided I needed to make some changes and clean up my diet.  I wrote a whole post about it, and set out some really specific goals and “rules” for myself.  And then I pretty much never talked about it again.

So, here we are in July, and I decided that I should check back in with my #Chewsday Challenge.  Unfortunately, things didn’t go as well as I’d hoped.  Thankfully, I have some amazing accountabilibuddies (Kim, Kellie, and Lisa) who have encouraged and inspired me to do the best I can, but it’s definitely time to step up my game and re-commit to the challenge.  I want to do another half marathon in the fall, and I’d REALLY like to do a sub 2:30 time.  I think it’s possible, and it will be more manageable if I fuel myself better, and possibly lose some of the extra pounds I’m hauling around on every run.

Click for Source

Click for Source

So, let’s revisit the original #Chewsday Challenge goals I set for myself:

• Only one serving of “treat” per day
  • Fruit or veggies with EVERY meal
  • Plan meals–including lunch
  • Lean protein at every meal
  • Snack better
  • No booze on work nights

Taken one at a time, these all seem like really reasonable things.  But all at the same time, it’s kind of a lot.  I think that’s part of the reason I wasn’t as successful as I wanted to be–I tried to do too much, too soon.  So I think this time, I’m going to start with one goal, and add a new one in each week, so that I’ll be cumulatively building my will-power and creating healthier habits one at a time.

So, the goal for this week is no booze on work nights.  I already sort of failed at this by going out for beers and playing horseshoes with my friend Sharon last night.  I may have to take a pass for Mondays, because that’s our usual day for fun activities.  Or limit myself to only one drink.  I’ll have to see how that plays out.  At any rate, I will be focusing on cutting back on the sauce during the week.  I drink a lot of beer, and beer contains a lot of empty calories, so I’ll be very interested to see what impact this has.

If you’d like to play along on the #Chewsday Challenge, use the #Chewsday hashtag on Twitter.  We’re a pretty good time, if I do say so myself 🙂

Kimberly on Twitter

Princess Lisa on Twitter

Kellie on Twitter

Me on Twitter

27 thoughts on “Remember that Time I Started a Healthy Eating Challenge?

1. candies & crunches says:

THat’s a great plan! I find that cutting back on alcohol consumption makes a huge difference. Not only that alcohol dehydrates us, it also slows down digestion big time. Keep it up! xoxo

I used to be a heavy beer drinker before I got pregnant. After 9 months of not drinking at all it was like my taste for it went away entirely and now I drink wine and occasionally a mixed drink. I will say that cutting back on that would be tough for me too though. I love my wine. A lot.

I know! But I’ve got to cut back somewhere, and I find that when I drink, I don’t sleep as well. I already don’t get enough sleep most nights, and if I’m getting up early to run, it’s a bad situation. I’ll just have to drink more on the weekends! Oh wait, that’s not good either… *sigh*

• Run Colby Run says:

I’m kidding. I applaud you. Like standing ovation applause. I myself have been drying out during the week as well. I’m finding that sleep is essential these days. I totally agree with you—I sleep much better sans booze. 🙂

I love that version of the Seafood Diet Ecard. I’ve been using it alot! I don’t have to worry about cutting out drinking–I have ice cream instead. But at some point, my body wont have the metabolism it currently enjoys, and I will have to. And that will be a sad, sad, SAD day.

Oh ice cream! I can’t have it in the house, because I would eat it all, constantly. But trips to the creemee stands are a must in the summertime. Vanilla with rainbow sprinkles is perfection.

4. irishrunnerchick says:

I do the whole no alcohol on worknights thing too – the only things are drink during the week are water and OJ. I think you’re really smart to start slow and introduce changes gradually. It’s so easy to get overwhelmed and just give up on everything. Good luck!

Good luck with that! And I think it is important to set attainable goals – so if Monday is your day, maybe set a 1 beer limit if that is doable, because cutting out totally might just be a recipe for failure.

We really don’t differentiate weekdays and weekends, but we’re old married people 🙂 But we’re also only good for 1 – 2 drinks anyway …

Megan (Lyon’s Share) is constantly talking about how small changes are changes, and they all add up. SO I would definitely go with the approach of doing things iteratively and focusing on them one at a time. That gives you time to adapt and greater likelihood of success.

Thanks, Mike! I know small changes add up, and it’s definitely more manageable in smaller chunks. I’m feeling pretty optimistic about things this time around, and excited to see how it goes.

It was really fun! It’s a small local bar that does weekly tournaments, but if you go on Monday there’s no one there and you can play as long as you want 🙂

6. prettylittlerunner says:

I love that you at least put it out there! The minute I say I’m on any type of diet/cleanse/detox… I immediately want a candybar and a cocktail bc they come off my lists immediately! Ugh! I can’t wait to read about how it goes… You got this;)

7. kebe51 says:

Ummmm yeah, I was horrible last night and had a bowl of ice cream which is NOT paleo which means I should have saved it for the weekend (much like my drinking). It’s so funny how hard something so simple is. But it’s like the instant you say I can’t have it, I WANT IT! lol Oh well! We can do it! Especially because I want to try for a sub 2:30 too!

Dude, so tough. We have a bunch of beer and wine in the fridge right now–I opened the fridge to find dinner last night and STARED at the wine for a good 15 seconds before shaking myself and saying “NO!” Why are the bad things so good?

But you’re right, we CAN do this! Sub 2:30 club right here!