Plan/Goals for the Second Half of the Year

I started this whole running thing without any specific goals other than finishing my first half marathon.  Now that goal has come and gone (read about it here), and I find that I’m lacking motivation.

Click for Source

Click for Source

Yes, I could go ahead and sign up for a bunch more races (and I will), but for the moment, I’m kind of enjoying not being in “training mode.”  I like that I don’t have to forgo social engagements because they interfere with my running schedule, or avoid having a few beers on Friday night so that I can complete my Saturday long run.  In short, I like having my life back to normal.

That being said, I don’t want to just stop running.  Far from it.  I want to keep running and improving.  And I definitely want to complete another half marathon before the snow starts flying, which in Vermont, could be some time as early as October.  I’ve been seeing a lot of mid-year 2014 goal check-in posts, and they have inspired me to set some more concrete goals for the second half of the year, which will hopefully help keep me motivated.

So without further ado, here’s what I’ll be working towards for the next 6 months:

• Sign up for and complete another half marathon
  • Sign up for and complete a 10k race (probably virtual)
  • Incorporate speed work and/or hills at least once a week, with the goal of consistently running 5k under 3o minutes
  • Get back to yoga.  I know this is kind of wishy-washy and non-specific, but I’m not sure what the yoga class schedule will be like at my new gym, and I don’t want to set myself up for failure right off the bat
  • Strength train at least once a week.  My hips were incredibly sore for a couple of days after my half, and I want to make sure that my muscles are able to support me on longer runs
  • Focus on recovery after runs.  I’ve been skipping the stretch and roll routine after runs a little too often, and I know that’s not good for me.  I’m pretty sure my tight calves are contributing to the pain in my foot, so I want to protect myself from injury and really limber up my muscles

That’s all for now.  I don’t want to have too many plates up in the air at once, especially since I’m still working on my #Chewsday Challenge as well.  I plan to do a monthly check-in on these goals to help me stay accountable and on-track.  I may also add or alter goals as things occur to me.

My running/training plan for the next little while will look something like this:

Monday:  Cross-train (yoga/body pump/strength train)
Tuesday:  Alternate hill repeats and speed work
Wednesday:  Cross-train (yoga/body pump/strength train)
Thursday:  Short, fast (for me) run (3-5 miles)
Friday:  Rest
Saturday:  Long, slow distance (6-8 miles)
Sunday:  Rest

Basically, I want to maintain my fitness, but not spend every Saturday recovering from a long run.  Once I sign up for my fall half, I’ll increase my long run mileage each week to get ready.

Do you set specific running/fitness-related goals? How do you stay motivated?

24 thoughts on “Plan/Goals for the Second Half of the Year

Thanks! I’m hoping that having some structure will help me be more consistent. My “training” definitely tapered off this summer, and I can’t help but wonder if the half would have gone better if I’d done more. I don’t want to have those thoughts with the next one!

• prairieprincessrunners says:

I think it is all about balance and whether your mojo is working for your or not. Last summer I trained like a mofo for Dumbo Double Dare, but it was all just good timing and the right headspace. I think you just need to focus on doing the best you can and trying to push at the right times (mine are typically when it feels really good and sometimes when it feels really awful). lol.

1. candies & crunches says:

Sounds like a good plan and it is definitely ambitious and yet manageable. I like that you are incroporating cross training too which is gonna have a big impact in your running success. As you probably know, I signed up for a 30-day yoga challenge. It’s day 2 today and I’m loving it. I even woke up at 5.50 am to complete a 40-minute workout before heading off to work. Well, it’s a big one for me 😀 I’m clearly excited AND motivated. Keep it up, girl! xoxo

Quick way for you to stay motivated: Hire me to follow you everywhere. A) you will be running (away from me) at all times and b) hours of endless entertainment. I think that it is important to be ambitious, but also not to overdo it, otherwise you will burnout. Test out your plan for 2 weeks, The first week is typically a bit of a fluke (because of the newness) and the second week will show you if it really is sustainable.
    BUT I HAVE GREAT FAITH

Thanks, Susie! I think having two built in rest days will help a lot with keeping it realistic, but like you said, I may need to re-evaluate, especially because this summer has been so busy for us.

Also, please come visit and we can run around together eating Ben and Jerry’s.

Those sound like great goals! I never really had any specific training goals until recently… I think when it finally hit me that I have longer distance races coming up that I’m nowhere near ready for 🙂 The goals definitely help keep me motivated (God knows I need the help!) and I’ve found that my run club is a HUGE help for me as well. I struggle with running alone, so knowing there’s a group of people who will be out there no matter what, and who’ve come to expect me to be there too, gets me out the door.

I’m having a really hard time finding a running club near me! I know Fleet Feet hosts a few runs a week, but they’re just far enough away that getting there with rush hour traffic would be a nightmare. I’m so jealous of all your Shammies activities!

• dgobs says:

I’m sorry there’s not much convenient run club activity near you 😦 I feel *so* lucky that the Shammies are so close, because I don’t know if I’d be arsed to make it to any of the other nearby clubs! I wish we could have a satellite club right near you… or that someone would finally invent teleportation to make it all easier!

4. piratebobcat says:

Good luck on your goals! I want to make some PR’s this year after doing so many long slow runs last year training for Dopey. The summer heat has had me reconsider tho and I’m focusing more on fall races. Oh, and Go Yoga!

5. irishrunnerchick says:

Good luck with your goals! My main goal at the moment is to get to the starting line of my first marathon in one piece. Just remember to enjoy yourself and do what’s fun. Mixing it up with yoga and other classes sounds perfect. Maybe try trail running or hunt down a running buddy?