#Chewsday Reboot: Week Two

Last week, I recommitted myself to the #Chewsday Challenge.  As discussed, my original plan was perhaps a little too ambitious, so this time around I’ve decided to add in one challenge at a time, with the goal of slowly and realistically building toward overall healthier eating.  Last week’s challenge was no booze on work nights.

So, how did it go?  Honestly, not too badly.  Monday night, I went out for beer and horseshoes with my friend Sharon and some of her friends.  Monday is the only night we do this because Sharon’s friend is the bartender on Monday nights and can hook us up a bit.  Theoretically, this doesn’t count as cheating because I didn’t recommit to the challenge until Tuesday, but this may be a semi-regular thing, so we’ll see.  Thursday, I went out for Mexican food with my friend Rebecca, and what’s Mexican food without a margarita?  Exactly.  However, I only had one, and it was delicious.

Photo Jul 17, 5 19 15 PM

I guess I would grade myself B- for the week.  When I think about the fact that I had beer and wine in the fridge at home and managed to resist, it’s not half bad.  I also only had one margarita, when I could easily have had another (restaurant is in walking distance of home).  On the whole, I’m thinking more about choosing to drink or not drink, and what it’s going to mean for me.  I’m excited to build more on this in the weeks to come.  I know it will help me cut out a lot of empty calories and sleep better.

Now it’s time to add another challenge in along with no booze on weeknights.  This week’s challenge is fruits and/or veggies with every meal.  This doesn’t sound hard, but is actually quite a challenge for me.  As I’ve mentioned before, I didn’t really start eating veggies until I was an adult, and continue to struggle with incorporating them.  I’m better than I was, but definitely not as good as I could be.

Thankfully, I’ve got some great accountabilibuddies in Kimberly, and Lisa, and we welcomed two new recruits, Nicole and Kellie this week.  We bug each other, support each other, and mostly make each other laugh.  I dream that someday we’ll all do a RunDisney race together, but unfortunately that’s not happening anytime soon for this broke girl.  Anyway, if you’d like to join us as we support (and enable) each other on Twitter, use the #Chewsday hashtag and come find us!

@PrincessRunners

@RaeisaDarlin

@KellieEbe

@paradeinpink

@Vixen1267

What’s your favorite way to incorporate produce into your meals?

24 thoughts on “#Chewsday Reboot: Week Two

I just have a salad with basically every meal–keep the ingredients on hand, throw together, done. Now it is something that I crave–I need the cool, crisp refreshment of it to balance out the hotter protein/etc

We were on a roll with salads for a while, but I lost steam with the washing/chopping/mixing. I should just do batches of it every couple of days to make it an easy choice.

2. prettylittlerunner says:

I loved last week challenge and I’m actually trying to cut the booze out as well… At least during the week… It’s sooo hard in the summer….

For breakfast IF I’m going put produce in it, I add peppers (red and green) and onions into an egg white omelet… I’m not a huge fan of eggs but I know there are a lot if health benefits. Lunch is easy because you. An throw together a salad with whatever you want and fruit can always be a dessert… I love watermelon…. Dinner, I try to have a side always… My kids love corn and broccoli(with cheese) or glazed carrots…. You got this!

I’ve been really good about putting peppers, tomatoes and onions in my morning omelet, but lunch is always a struggle for me. Time to bust out the salads!

Thanks for the support, sweetie!

3. kebe51 says:

Incorporating the fruits and/or veggies with every meal is definitely a tough one. I mean, I’ll eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast (which is a perfectly healthy) but I can’t always get a fruit or veggie in with that. I think that while the goal should be to get them in with every meal, as long as your meal is healthy, don’t stress if you miss it.

Ooops, that’s not being a very good accountability buddy is it? Ummm, I mean, eat your veggies young lady! And go rent/buy/watch Frozen! 😛

I think we need to be realistic too, and like you said, if overall the meal is healthy, I’m not gonna freak out over missing out on fruit/veggies. Of course, making a healthy meal can be challenging too!

I’m a fruit and veggie snacker. I always try to have something with me in my lunch bag that is either green or a fruit or both. I have edamame and an apple here to chew on throughout the day. Also I agree with Suz on the salad thing. Especially when I go out to dinner…I’ll sub whatever side they want to give me (ie: fries) with a salad instead.

I am TERRIBLE at incorporating produce into my meals. The one thing that got me to do it was having a CSA share (half-share… we split one with some neighbors). Then we got a load of fruit and veg and had to figure out ways to use them before they went bad, or before we got our next load the following week! I discovered veg I had never known existed before (like kohlrabi and pattypan squash) and found some great recipes as I tried to figure out what to do with these mystery foods. We don’t do the CSA anymore because it was overwhelming and more expensive than we’d like, but when I crave things I ate from the CSA at least I know what to look for in the produce section of the store, and I know I can make delicious things with them.

I second the other commenters too… salads are great and you can throw whatever you want in there. I love baby spinach with cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, carrot shavings, Craisins, and almond slivers… or a dollop of tuna on top.

6. veryrach says:

GRILL IT! Veggies taste the best when grilled (I think). I’ve been on a grilled asparagus kick and it is soooooo good. Also, my step mom would always just cut up fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and put them on a plate with italian dressing and a little cheese sprinkled on top for a dinner side – super simple but fresh and yummy!

7. irishrunnerchick says:

I love to have fresh fruit and Greek yoghurt for breakfast – and a smoothie is really easy to make (and really versatile). What worked best for me was experimenting with a ton of vegetarian recipes and finding meals/sides that I was excited to eat – right now I’m loving skinnytaste.com and cookieandkate.com. And having veggies/fruits ready to go as snacks – baby carrots, grape tomatoes……Good luck!

I also find salads easy – get a prefab mix of spinach/ kale, some cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, and celery and you’re good to go!

For me the big thing is what I call ‘intentional eating’ – eat what you want, but OWN it … think about it. For many of us, snacking too much, getting that second drink, or whatever is stuff that causes problems. Intentional eating means thinking about what you put into your body.

Very true–it’s when I’m not thinking that I tend to overeat (eating out, social situations, eating dinner in front of the TV). I definitely need to think a lot more about what I’m putting in.

9. piratebobcat says:

Nice! That salsa actually looks good, despite the fact that it’s from someplace north of Texas. 😉 My family never had fruit or veggies growing up. Like you, it wasn’t until I was an adult before I jumped in. Now I try to be as vegetarian as possible! I wish I knew what I was missing! I forget at the moment, are we following each other on Twitter? @piratebobcat I’ll look up your hashtag!!

10. dnardi710 says:

Love that you guys are working together to keep each other accountable! I’m really into grilling veggies in the summer, I’ve been throwing peppers, onions and zucchini on the grill at least once a week and using it for dinner and then leftovers for sandwiches. I’m a firm believer that everything tastes better cooked on a grill! : )