#Chewsday Reboot Week 3

A few weeks ago, I recommitted myself to the #Chewsday Challenge.  As discussed, my original plan was perhaps a little too ambitious, so this time around I’ve decided to add in one challenge at a time, with the goal of slowly and realistically building toward overall healthier eating.  The challenge for Week 1 was no booze on work nights.  Last week, I added in fruits and/or veggies with every meal.

How’s it going?

Pretty dang well!  Not having alcohol on week nights only gets easier as time goes on.  I had one cheat this past week, when Ben and I went out for our date night.  But I only had one margarita, and it was totally worth it.  I definitely have been falling asleep better and staying asleep better on nights that I don’t drink, so I think this is a win, and something I will try to always keep up with going forward.

On the fruits and veggies front, there have really only been one or two meals that were misses–I’ve been having veggie omelettes for breakfast every day, and having a side salad at lunch, and then a serving of veggies with dinner.  I also usually have apples or bananas as a snack during the day, so I’m doing very well.  I plan to keep this up as much as possible, because I stay full noticeably longer, and am much more satisfied all around with my meals.

This week’s challenge:  only one serving of “treat” per day.  I’ve been feeling pretty smug about my success in the current challenges I’ve got going, which has led to a state of permissiveness as far as treats go.  I’ve been having a lot of sweets lately, sometimes multiple times per day, and usually more than one serving at a time.  I need to cut back on the sugary treats big time.  This can be challenging, because we do Friday breakfasts at work, which often star muffins, cakes etc.  We also have an office treat fairy who bakes several times a week and brings her extras in and leaves them in the kitchen–so tempting!  I’d like to be more mindful about the treats I’m having, and try to really enjoy them, rather than mindlessly fulfilling a sugar craving.

Click for Source

Click for Source

As I’ve mentioned before, I have some fantastic accountabilibuddies, and we encourage each other to make better choices (when we’re not enabling each others’ sugar habits) with daily check-ins on Twitter using the #Chewsday hashtag.  My accountabilibuddies are actually all attempting to go 100% no treats at all this week, which is totally crazy.  I’m going more moderate with my “only one treat per day” goal.  Can we keep it up?  Follow along on Twitter to find out!

@RaeisaDarlin (me)

@PrincessRunners (Lisa)

@KellieEbe (Kellie)

@paradeinpink (Nicole)

@Vixen1267 (Kimberly)

What’s your favorite way to satisfy a sugar craving?

21 thoughts on “#Chewsday Reboot Week 3

Awesome job with all this! I think I need to make a goal for myself as well to eat more fruits/veggies. I definitely don’t get enough.

Good luck with the challenge of limiting your sweets! It’s so tough when they’re always right in front of you, tempting you. This used to be my biggest vice, and luckily something clicked in me to make me realize those sweets were really messing with the homeostasis of my body. Although I’m not perfect at always eating healthy, running has become so important to me that, in general, I try to eat things that will fuel my running and stay away from the stuff that will weigh me down and make my stomach cramp.

Sugar is definitely a tough spot for me. I’m hoping that the less I eat it, the less I’ll want it. I’ve heard that’s the case for a lot of people.

Way to rock your goals so far! I’m especially impressed with the fruit & veg one… I’m like a little kid still when it comes to vegetables (most of the time, anyway) so it’s inspiring to see that veg at every meal can be done!

My favorite way to satisfy a sugar craving is usually to go down to the vending machines (if I’m at work) and buy a candy bar. 😦 I used to be not so bad before the machines took credit cards (dangerous!!!) because I’d try not to have cash or change on me so that I wouldn’t be tempted. I’m bad. I need to get smart snacks and keep them in my bag or something so that I can beat the cravings in a better way!

Yeah, vending machines are awful! I think what I need to do is have some high quality chocolate or something in my desk that will satisfy the craving in smaller amounts. Maybe dark chocolate almonds? Sugar and protein, mmmm…

• dgobs says:

Ooh! That just reminded me of an amazing snack I discovered a few months back and then promptly forgot about (my brain… seriously.) Blue Diamond has a small line of caffeinated almonds, and the one I tried was mocha flavored and they’re SO good – the healthiness of almonds, the chocolately taste of mocha, and a bonus mini jolt of caffeine. Not as sugary-delicious as dark chocolate almonds, but good when you need a tiny, quick buzz! 🙂

I really love how you are doing this–you are being so, so smart about adding in the good habits–slowly, but firmly–and finding room for improvement. That is the way to go, for sure. So many people do the all-or-nothing, and for some, it really does work because they need that firm hand. But you have so much going on in your life right now that you need to put your brain power where it will be put to the greatest use.
    For sweet treat snackage, I am obviously all about the cherries right now–and just a few bings will take you a little while to eat and are so lush in flavor that a few will do the trick, plus it is a treat in the sense that they are delicious, but you are just upping your fruit intake! I also like sliced, frozen bananas for the same reason. I totally second the cocoa roasted almond idea, plus you can buy them in pre-portioned packs. Kettle corn is another great semi sweet option, as is greek yogurt with cocoa and stevia/sweetner mixed in (works great with cottage cheese) and some sprinkles on top 😀

4. kebe51 says:

I have leftover birthday cake in my fridge and that B&W cookie was calling my name yesterday…WHY DID I AGREE TO THIS?!?!

Good job on your awesomeness with this challenge, I definitely need to step it up!

5. greenmountainlife says:

These are great goals, especially breaking them down like this and being consistent- I’m impressed. I took a nutrition class in college where we had to make certain attainable goals similar to the fruits and veggies one. We had to keep a food journal every other week to see if we kept up with them, it seemed silly at the time (hello, we could all just write that we did it) but I ended up actually trying and I was amazed at how long I kept up with the random goals I set for what I was eating even after the class ended. I’d really like to get back into something like that, feeling inspired 😉

As for satisfying a sugar craving… I got nothing haha, the ladies above seem to have much more helpful answers!

Awesome job Rae! I really think with how you’ve been approaching this you’ll do great.

For sweets, I love fruit so I will have fruit as a treat, or trail mix (be careful on content), or a nice fruit smoothee. I do ok with ‘one a day’, because I have lost my taste for packaged sweets over these last two years or so. But ice cream? I have to remind myself that one serving is a volumetric measure, not however much I can jam into the bowl I grab! haha

• txa1265 says:

You joke, but we got a 1.5 gallon tub of Perry’s Ice Cream (a western NY brand) last Sunday … which was gone by Saturday – and I only got two ‘serving size appropriate’ bowls … that is what happens with two big teenage boys (Lisa admits to doing decent damage 🙂 )