Manic Monday – 08/11/14

Welcome to another edition of Manic Monday, where I recap the previous week and lay out a plan for the upcoming week.

Monday (Scheduled Cross-Training Day)
Walked to and from work (~4.4 miles), and did 16 squats and 17 push ups using the Runtastic apps.  I also did some clam shells and leg lifts for my hips.

Tuesday (Scheduled Speed Work)
I got up before work and did some modified fartleks.  Basically, I ran down to the waterfront for a warm up (~1 mile), and found a flat stretch where I could sprint an unknown distance (100m? 200m? who knows), then jog back and repeat.  I did this 4 times, and I DEFINITELY gave it too much gas during the sprints.  I actually had to walk up part of the hill on the way home because I was so spent.  I’m gonna blame it on donating blood last week.  I also walked to and from work (~4.4 miles).

Photo Aug 05, 6 02 34 AM

Wednesday (Scheduled Cross-Training Day)
I walked to and from work (~4.4 miles).  After work, I did a 30 minute Yoga for Runners video I found on youtube.  I’ve been feeling really stressed and overwhelmed lately, and after Lauren’s post last week on why she practices yoga, I knew I needed some yoga in my life, stat.  It’s been almost a year since I did anything other than a few asanas on my own, and it felt WONDERFUL!  It wasn’t the best sequence ever, but it was still awesome to practice again.  I’ve decided that from now on, Wednesdays are yoga days.  My gym usually has a class on Wednesday nights, but if I can’t make it to class, I’ll find a youtube video.

Photo Aug 06, 5 13 44 PM

Thursday (Scheduled 4 miles easy)
I wasn’t able to get myself up before work, so I headed out along the bike path after work.  I wasn’t really feeling it, and the waterfront was super crowded, but I got it done, and spent a decent amount of time stretching after.  I also walked to and from work (~4.4 miles).

Photo Aug 07, 6 16 16 PM

Friday (Scheduled Rest Day)
Other than walking to and from work (~4.4 miles), this was a total rest day.  We drove over to Maine to stay with Ben’s Grammy for the weekend before the wedding.

Saturday (Scheduled 7 miles LSD)
I’d like to say I got my long run in, but that would be a lie.  We were exhausted, so we slept in till 10.  By the time “brunch” was over (bacon, eggs, toast and a beer at noon), I knew I wasn’t going to make it out for 7 miles.  We swam, we read, and before dinner I went out for a few miles around Little Ossippee Lake.  It was extremely humid, because a big rain storm had just blown through, and considering what I’d been eating and drinking, I was pleasantly surprised by my 3.5 miles.

Photo Aug 09, 4 27 22 PM

Sunday (Scheduled Rest Day)
We slept in again since we stayed up late playing cards with Grammy (she wins EVERY TIME!).  Around 2 we headed over to Portland to meet up with some friends for a drink before the wedding.  The wedding was really nice–the actual chuppah and ceremony were held outside at a park right across the street from the shul, and it was a perfect day.  The food was great (hello, dilly beans!), and my friends were obviously just so excited to finally be married.  Unfortunately, we had to leave early to head back home to VT, so I don’t know if they did the horah (chair dance) or not.  Sadface.

This week:
This is week 1 of my official training plan for half marathon number two!  I’ll be posting my schedule in more detail later this week.  For now, my goals are to keep to the training plan as much as possible, and be sure to fit in yoga at least once.

Did you travel this weekend?

16 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 08/11/14

1. greenmountainlife says:

I thought of you this morning when I was getting ready for work, how in the world does she get ready for work in time to walk there? You’ve got skills lady. No travel for us but we are saving up for our 5 weekends in a row starting Labor Day weekend… I’m sort of terrified haha 😉

This weekend, I did JACK SQUAT but eat and sleep it seems. Glad that you got back to your yoga mat–it will help your mind and body so much! And love playing cards with your grandma–what is your game of choice?

We play 13s a lot. It’s sort of like rummy, but each round you get dealt more cards, and each round a different card is wild. So, when you have 5 cards, 5s and jokers are wild etc. It’s fun, quick, and a good mix of skill and luck. And Grammy is a SHARK.

I love this. ❤ You had such a great week and I'm so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time with the yoga. Due to some time constraints coming up, I will be practicing more at home, but at least it's something!

4. dnardi710 says:

I really need to learn to pace myself on speed work too! I always go out too hard and then slow down!

And yay for incorporating some yoga! If you’re looking for some Yoga for Runners videos I really like Sage Rountree’s videos on Yoga Vibes (and I think they do a free trial).

Great week – and you should be happy with what you did. Sometimes you just need to rest!

We had a nutso weekend .. but really rewarding all at the same time 🙂 I think my lessening need for sleep is a mixed blessing … I used to need minimum 8 hours before kids, now I rarely get more than 6, and mostly 4-5 hours.

Thanks, Mike! I’m feeling pretty good about things even without a long run in the mix. I wish I only needed 5 hours of sleep–I could be so much more productive with all that extra time! Although, I think I’m destined to be an early riser someday–my dad gets up at 5am every day!

6. piratebobcat says:

Looks like you had a fun week! And I did kind of travel this weekend. My group’s long run was in a town I had never even heard of. It was a 45 minute or so drive out into the area east of Dallas. It turned out great!

I always overdo it on the speed work too… it’s hard to slow it down enough yet still go fast! And bummer that you didn’t get to see the chair dance at the wedding (if they did it) 😦 I like the idea of doing yoga with a YouTube video… that’s a great idea. I tried two different yoga classes and didn’t like either one, but I really like the idea of doing yoga… maybe trying it out again on my own would be the way to go.

No travel last weekend, but I’m traveling the next two!

That’s why I like to do speed work on the treadmill–it helps me control my pace and be consistent. Next time I’ll just drag my butt to the gym.

Finding a good yoga video on youtube is HARD. A lot of them are framed a la Jillian Michaels, with some loud, enthusiastic hardass talking way too fast and loud, rather than calm and soothing.