#Chewsday Challenge Wrap-Up

A few weeks ago, I recommitted myself to the #Chewsday Challenge.  As discussed, my original plan was perhaps a little too ambitious, so this time around I decided to add in one challenge at a time, with the goal of slowly and realistically building toward overall healthier eating.  The challenge for Week 1 was no booze on work nights.  Week 2, I added in fruits and/or veggies with every meal.  Week 3, I started only one serving of treat per day.  And last week, I added in protein with every meal.  I’ve now been at this for a solid month (more, if you count my first, half-hearted attempt), and I’m ready to let go of #Chewsday (and I’m sure you’re all tired of hearing about my eating challenges).  So, I’ve done one final assessment of what worked, what didn’t, and how I plan to move forward.

How did it go?

• No booze on work nights has become pretty much habit.  I may have a beer here or a glass of wine there, but on the whole, I’m not really drinking on week nights anymore, and that’s probably the way it will stay.  I don’t need the extra calories and I don’t need any more trouble sleeping than I already have.
  • Fruits or veggies with every meal will likely always be a challenge for me.  I’m worlds better than I used to be, but I still struggle.  I have a few more tricks in my arsenal, and I am eating some veggies that I used to despise, so I’ll take that as a win.  I will do my best to continue to incorporate more fruits and veg, but I’m not going to beat myself up if I have a veggie-less meal.
  • One serving of treat per day is easier some days than others.  I really like having my bag of chocolate covered sunflower seeds in my desk.  They’re a satisfying treat on multiple levels, and I feel like I don’t eat as many of them as I would other sweet options.  On the whole, I think I’m more mindful about reaching for treats than I used to be, but this will definitely also always be a struggle.
  • Protein with every meal is not as easy as I’d hoped.  It requires planning ahead (is the chicken thawed? are the beans soaking?), which Ben and I are not always great at.  However, on the days I followed through with this, I noticed that I ate less overall and definitely did less snacking, so I plan to at least attempt to keep up with this.

So that’s it for the #Chewsday Challenge, at least for me.  I won’t be posting any more weekly updates or issuing any more challenges.  But I will DEFINITELY continue to work on these four points above, because they are working for me.  And of course, I’ll be doing periodic check-ins with my accountabilibuddies, cause they’re hilarious and awesome.

What’s your number one healthy eating tip/trick?

19 thoughts on “#Chewsday Challenge Wrap-Up

Awesome! Props for tackling this challenge as well as you did! I know I’d struggle with each one of those challenges. I think the one healthy eating tip I’ve been trying to stick with for the past year is to stop eating when I’m no longer hungry, but before I’m full. It can be really hard when I’m eating something especially delicious, but I feel so much better when I remember to not eat until I’m stuffed. I should probably focus more on cutting out sugar (I have an awful sweet tooth) and trying to work in more veggies but… one thing at a time, right? 🙂

Hint/tip: Protein for breakfast is a biggie for me – I made a quinoa/flax blend that I added yogurt, honey and fruit to yesterday … and by 11AM I was really hungry. Not enough protein. Should have added a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. For me that is the biggie. If I start well, I am set all day, otherwise I feel off balance.

I think you have done great and hope you keep these habits going! You should be proud!

Protein at breakfast is definitely a huge help. On the mornings that I have time to make a veggie omelet with toast, I feel much fuller all morning.

Thanks for the encouragement!

You are doing great, and you should be really proud of yourself. Protein with every meal can indeed be a struggle, but that is when it is good to have good deli meats on hand, because you can always have a few slices of that, at the very least, or string cheese. Cottage cheese is great to spread on or to stir into sauces, so that is another option!
    I think the best healthy eating tip is just to keep trying. So often people say I can’t etc, but just keep trying, take the time to think about what you are putting into your mouth, and you will be good to go 😀 And try my eggwhite oats if you want to get a little more protein in.

Protein with every meal is my biggest challenge of all of these, especially for Betty. She’s so hit or miss when it comes to stuff like that and I worry she’s not getting enough during the day. Toddlers are generally terrible at eating.

I LOVE Suz’s idea of cottage cheese in sauces, etc. I eat so much cottage cheese anyway. I’ve never thought of that!

5. Amy says:

I’m vegetarian and eat a lot of beans for protein. I cook two 1 lb bags of beans at a time (in a crockpot) and then freeze them in 1-1/2 cup servings (equivalent to a can). I pretty much always have beans on hand this way. I still don’t know if I get enough protein, but that’s my one and only tip.

Do you have a recipe for cooking beans in the crock pot? I struggle with them, because I never remember to soak them, or I’m too impatient to cook them long enough on the stovetop. Crock pot beans is genius!

• Amy says:

Yes, it’s easy…rinse the beans, put them in the crock pot, cover w/ about 3″ of water, and cook on low for 6 hours. I try to check the beans every half hour after 4.5 hrs, depending on the type of bean they can cook quicker. Then just drain, rinse, and freeze. This works with all kinds of beans with one exception: kidney beans have to be boiled for 10 min before they go in the crock pot because there is a toxin in their skin. Hope this helps!

6. hellyontherun says:

My biggest challenge is soda. I’m doing good so far in my own challenge of going without for a 100 days but I know I’m drinking one or two or five the very next day it’s over.

Water is the best trick/tip for me. All the water.