Manic Monday – 08/25/14

Welcome to another edition of Manic Monday, where I recap the previous week, and lay out a plan for the upcoming week.

Whew–what a week!  Birthdays and concerts and packing, oh my!  The good news is, I was pretty spot-on with my training this week, and I’m feeling great.

Monday (Scheduled Cross-Training Day)
This turned out to be a rest day.  It was our first evening back after house-sitting all weekend, and we were anxious to get some packing and homework done.

Tuesday (Scheduled Hill Repeats)
As you already know, I completed 5 hill repeats on Battery Street, and felt like a total bad ass afterwards.  We also took a load of furniture to our storage unit, so I got a little bit of alternative strength-training in.

Photo Aug 19, 5 39 50 PM

Wednesday (Scheduled Cross-Training)
Hit up the gym for 45 minutes on the elliptical machine, and when I got home, did 30 squats and a few hip-strengthening exercises.

Thursday (Scheduled 3 mile run)
It was a cool, rainy day, which is actually pretty great running weather.  Right after work, I did a quick 5k route around our neighborhood, and then we did more packing and another trip to the storage unit, and I did 35 squats before bed.

Friday (Scheduled Rest Day)
We had Ben’s birthday party at our place.  We had very little furniture and everything was a mess, but it was still a blast.  And we ended up with a lot of beer in the fridge–score!

Saturday (Scheduled 5 mile run)
I got up at 8 and knocked out 5 miles pretty easily.  While it was cool and breezy, it was humid too.  I felt really good the whole run, and was happy to have it out of the way.  The rest of the day was devoted to packing and cleaning, and then I went to the Champlain Valley Fair, where I ate my weight in fried dough nuggets, maple creemees, and french fries with nacho cheese dip.  So, so bad, but so, so good!  The Goo Goo Dolls concert was pretty good, but also kind of sad.  The band was frozen in my mind as they were in 1998, and now they just look old and tired, and the lead singer couldn’t hit all of the notes during Iris, which was unfortunate.

Photo Aug 23, 9 40 54 PM

Sunday (Scheduled Rest Day)
Ah, Sunday, a day devoted to rest… And by rest, I mean packing and cleaning.  My parents came up to help my sister get her stuff together, and Ben and I made 2 trips to our storage unit, and one out to his folks’ place in Underhill.  We also took a field trip to the Burton Summer Sale, where we each got $200 coats for $50.  Awesomesauce!  And Ben’s parents made us dinner, which was so nice, because our kitchen is a shambles and we’ve only got bare bones utensils until we complete the move.

All in all, this was a great week, and I’m hoping to continue the trend of getting all of my workouts done.  The goal for this week is to make time for exercise even though we’re going to be crazy busy with moving stuff. I already told Ben that I was planning to work out almost every evening this week, and he was psyched because that gave him more time to do homework every night before we commence moving activities.

How did your running go this weekend? Do you ski or snowboard?

12 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 08/25/14

Oh boy, the food from the fair sounds AMAZING right now, even though it’s not even 9:30am haha. Fried dough and these maple creemees that I need to get into my life somehow… yum. Glad you had a great week!

2. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

Congrats on the awesomely awesome-sauce week! And I’m right there with you on the Goos. This is your Goo Goo Dolls on drugs. #sadface I’m still trying to figure out my pace/mileage for Sunday as my GPS refused to connect, but the knees felt good later in the afternoon and this morning FTW!! And the one time I tried skiing – at Killington – I wound up crashing into one of the ski racks. You know, the one where EVERYBODY rests their skis while they go inside to get snockered? Yeah, that one. Coming off the BUNNY HILL. Total humiliation and the end to my short-lived skiing career. #totalgravitationalfail

SOLID week!! You did such a great job fitting everything in even with the move. Way to inspire, my friend! 😀 Running went well enough this weekend although I probably should have called it quits at 8 rather than go for 10, but oh well. And I ski, but I haven’t been for a long time.

I’m impressed you made it to 10! I’m slowly building back up for half #2, and this time I hope to get in a 12 mile training run prior to the race… We’ll see how that goes!

4. greenmountainlife says:

I don’t know if I could find time to exercise and be moving at the same time, hero status. I didn’t make it to the Burton sale this year thus I’m incredibly jealous of your jacket purchases! I started skiing pretty young but switched to snowboarding about 13 years ago and now I’m a snowboard instructor 🙂

Woah, that’s really cool! I only made one attempt last year and it was pretty bad. My fiance was trying to teach me, but I think I need to just suck it up and pay for a few lessons. If it still sucks after this winter, I’m going back to skiing!

• greenmountainlife says:

Oh man I had one couple who didn’t know what they were doing (hence taking a lesson) but the guy just kept trying to “teach” her anyway… during the lesson… I was like no, no, this is my job sir. I basically had to very creatively separate them for the lesson. Nightmare. If you ever want to go this winter just let me know, it would be on the house 🙂

What a great week! Gettttting it gettin it! I grew up skiing (both water and snow), and one time, I was going to try boarding and then I saw (in one afternoon) 2 people try to stop and literally spiral over the side of a run. I decided no.

Yeah, my one attempt at snowboarding was, in fact, the opposite of fun. But I’m game to give it another go. But as I already said above, if it still sucks after this winter, it’s back to skis for me.