Friday Free-For-All (Sixteen)

Welcome to Friday Free-For-All, where I talk about anything and everything on my mind.  This is usually just a great big brain dump, so brace yourselves!

Today is Ben’s and my 6th anniversary!  Funny story, we just sort of started “hanging out” casually, and never really had a discussion of “you are my boyfriend/you are my girlfriend,” it just kind of happened organically.  So when we looked back, we realized we didn’t have an official first date or day to celebrate our anniversary, so we just picked a day sort of around the time we started hanging out 🙂  So tonight, I will run my five miles, shower, change, cheer Ben on at his broom ball game, and then we’re going out for a late dinner.  I am intensely grateful to have such a smart, caring, and goofy life partner.

Photo Oct 03, 8 39 31 AM

We went indoor rock climbing last night.  There’s a really great climbing gym, Petra Cliffs about 2 minutes from my office, and we have friends who are REALLY into it, so Ben and I met them there last night.  For $25, you get a “beginner’s package,” which includes a climbing pass, harness and shoe rental, and an introduction to the belay system from one of the staff.  Guys, this is a KILLER full-body workout.  Yes, you use your arms a lot, and in ways you typically don’t (hello grip strength and forearms), but you also need your core to help you move around, and your legs are instrumental in pushing yourself up.  I was exhausted after only an hour there (which was probably only about 20 minutes total climbing time).  We had lots of fun, so we will most likely be going back.

Some nice cuts and abrasions from climbing like a BAMF

Some nice cuts and abrasions from climbing like a BAMF

I’m taking part in the #rocktoberfit photo challenge.  I found this on Esther’s blog, but she let me know the original idea came from Jess at Operation Skinny Jeans.  I’m almost done with my #100happydays photo challenge, and I wanted to start a new one to keep me going.  I really like the idea of taking and posting at least one photo a day, so it’s nice to have something to work towards.  If you want to join in, here’s the graphic.  Just use the hashtag #rocktoberfit and tag @operationskinnyjeans

Photo Oct 02, 11 49 02 AM

We are going to an Oktoberfest party on Saturday.  This is an annual party held by one of Ben’s mom’s coworkers, and is apparently a very good time.  I’m excited to spend some time outdoors and drink some beers 🙂

I also have to make up my 9 mile run this weekend.  I think I’m going to haul my butt to the local high school track and run in circles.  There’s some nice foliage in that area, and I’m hoping that no teams will be practicing early on a Sunday morning.  I’m feeling pretty good about this run; hopefully it goes as well as I’m imagining it will.

Are you doing any photo challenges right now?

Have you gone to an Oktoberfest celebration this fall?

15 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All (Sixteen)

1. WalkToRio says:

Glad to know I wasn’t the only one to make up an anniversary day. In our case was useless because neither of us remembers. All we know is that we’ve been together between 8-7 years.
    I’m not doing any photo challenge, I’d lose (you win and lose at those right?), I’d forget to take pics.
    Enjoy your night out and your long run on Sunday.

I don’t think it’s a win or lose thing; you just do it if you remember. At least, that’s how I’m choosing to do it, haha!

I hope you have a nice weekend!

Happy anniversary! 🙂

The Oktoberfest party sounds fun! I’ve never been to an Oktoberfest. The closest I got was standing in line for a pumpkin beer fest that some of our friends were at, but the bar reached capacity before Drew and I could get in and we ended up standing in the pouring rain without an umbrella before we finally gave up and warmed up in a Starbucks down the street. After that experience I haven’t been tempted to try again, but if we could find one that’s more fun and less rainy lines I think I’d be for it!

What a letdown! I once went to a very lackluster Oktoberfest celebration in Stowe, VT. It was held indoors in a big, echo-y community center (why???), the beer was served in crappy plastic cups, and it wasn’t very good and there was a terrible oompa band too.

3. irishrunnerchick says:

Happy anniversary! Like you guys we don’t have an official dating anniversary but now we have a wedding date so I think we’ll stick to that in the future. I love indoor rock climbing (still a bit sketched out when I go outside) – it’s so much fun. I’m hoping to get back into it after this marathon. Such a great workout – but doesn’t feel like you’re working out. Enjoy Oktoberfest!

Exactly! It’s a sneaky fun workout! And I totally agree about the outside thing. I’m not quite there yet, but I guess I wouldn’t rule it out in the future.

4. veryrach says:

My bf and I have the same kind of anniversary! I even had to put it on FB so I would remember what day we “picked”..so pathetic lol I LOVE rock climbing, but never get to do it anymore 😦 Buying the gear is so expensive and we don’t have an indoor place close enough. I am so afraid of heights too I always freak out when I get up there, but the work out feels AMAZING! We have Oktoberfest at the Leiderkrantz this weekend. It’s VERY German, can you tell? Those photo challenges are fun, esp the October ones! I have an app called Project 365 that you do a photo everyday of the year and they put it on a calendar for you! it’s fun. Have a great weekend with pumpkin beer! woo hoo!

Yes, the gear is expensive, so we won’t be buying our own stuff unless we get really into it. I’m not really scared of heights, I’m scared of dropping someone when I’m belaying them! So much pressure!

I tried project 365 once and quit after like 5 days–I didn’t know there was an app though. Maybe I’ll restart it in 2015!

Happy anniversary-ish … it is great having someone you can be goofy with. The ability to laugh and have fun can last a lifetime!

I barely remember to post on Instagram half the time even when I DO take pix … so challenges are out for me 🙂

We also organically went from friends to BF/GF … but we have milestones along the way, and still celebrate our ‘engage-aversary’ every year even after 22+ years of marriage 🙂 The important thing is that it is shared. I hate seeing people who use things like anniversaries, etc as a ‘hammer’ to punish the other person, or are otherwise mismatchd in what matters to them.

As for Octoberfest … well, we bought some pumpkin spice beer, does that count?!? haha

We’re definitely not the couple to freak out if the other partner forgets anniversaries, and we usually don’t make a huge deal about them other than dinner. Last week I looked at Ben and said, “Wanna just scrap anniversary gifts this year?” And he said “Sure!” So it’s just dinner 🙂

Pumpkin spice beer is close enough for me! Bonus points if it’s of German origin though.

6. chocolaterunnergirl says:

Happy anniversary!!
    My husband is actually really good about remembering the dates! It is funny since that’s usually my strong point.
    Glad you are joining the challenge!! It is fun to have different things to keep things fun!

7. piratebobcat says:

Very cool! I’m not sure I could do 9 miles on the track though. I’ll do some speed workouts there, but I’d probably get bored if it was a normal long run. More power to ya! I like to do about half running one way and then reversing the direction for the other half. Prost!

8. Christine says:

So funny about your anniversary date- the same thing happened with Jimmy and me. When the year-ish time frame was coming up, we thought, “yeaaaa, we should probably pick a day”. I’ve never really known anyone with the same experience, everyone else thinks it’s so “unromantic”, but we don’t mind it. Hope you enjoyed your run!