Manic Monday – 10/13/14

Welcome to another edition of Manic Monday, where I recap the previous week, and lay out a plan for the upcoming week.

Monday (Scheduled Rest Day)
I rested in the sense that I didn’t go to the gym, but it wasn’t a restful day.  Work is still really busy, and then after work I ran all over town trying to find wedding shoes.  In the end, I just decided to order them online.  I’ll be sporting these babies under my wedding dress 🙂  Cute, comfy, and warm-ish for my late November wedding.

SilverWomensGlitterClassics

Tuesday (Scheduled 40 Minute Tempo Run)
I knew when I was typing this schedule out last week that this was a bit of a stretch, but I put it out there anyway to try and stay on top of my training.  But by the time my haircut was over, it was too late to get to the gym, do my 40 minutes at tempo, and get home at a reasonable hour, so I just headed home.  I did, however, do 30 squats and some arm stuff, so it wasn’t a total rest day.

Wednesday (Scheduled Bike and Elliptical)
I decided to make up Tuesday’s tempo run on the treadmill.  I used Energy Bits for the first time (ordered some samples from Cape Cod Runner Stacey), but I think it’s too soon to say if they helped or not.  The run ended up not really being super tempo-y.  I ran for 40 minutes at a 10 min/mile average pace, which is technically faster than race pace, but it felt pretty comfortable the whole time.

Photo Oct 08, 6 29 16 PM

Thursday (Scheduled 5 Mile Easy Run)
I was responsible for cooking dinner, so I ended up just going to the grocery store and going home.  I intended to do a few strength/balance exercises for my legs, but video games won out.

Friday (Scheduled Rest Day)
I guess I could have made up my 5 miles today, but instead I went downtown to find a strapless bra to wear under my wedding dress.  This cost an arm and a leg, which was super annoying (remember when I talked about how frustrating bra shopping is?), so I just went home after.  Ben’s folks invited some friends over, and we had a nice shindig.

Coco the Beer Dog

Coco the Beer Dog

Saturday (Scheduled Virtual 10k Race)
After our shindig on Friday night, sleep carried the morning.  We slept in, ate a big breakfast, and proceeded to be productive.  I did laundry and cleaned our room while Ben did homework.  On Saturday night, we went over to the Johnsons’ house for dinner and had some more libations.

Sunday (Scheduled Rest Day)
I decided not to pay the $25 fee for the virtual race I was considering because with our wedding and the holidays rapidly approaching, I need to start cutting back on some unnecessary expenses.  That being said, I decided to treat the run like a race.  I fueled up and geared up as if I were actually going to be running with others in a race setting.  I pushed it pretty hard and ended up with an unofficial 10k PR of 58:31, which is two and a half minutes faster than my last virtual 10k, so I felt pretty awesome about that.

Photo Oct 12, 12 18 03 PM

I just realized I’m about 3 weeks out from the Half Marathon–yikes!  With wedding stuff ramping up, I’ve got a lot more appointments and obligations during the week that are starting to take away from my training schedule.  I’m hoping that I can stick with it as much as possible, but I’m starting to get a wee bit nervous…

This Week:

• Monday:  Bike, Elliptical and Legs
  • Tuesday:  Dress fitting! (Rest)
  • Wednesday:  7 x 400
  • Thursday:  5 miles easy<–I have a wedding makeup trial at 5 pm so I’m not sure this will happen…
  • Friday:  Rest/ladies’ night
  • Saturday:  10 miles
  • Sunday:  Rest/Yoga

Do you use Energy Bits?

How do you stay on top of training when life gets busy?

21 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 10/13/14

1. veryrach says:

busy life is the downfall of my training/exercise all together! I attempt to gym in the mornings before work but it’s just so damn hard!!! lol I’ve also taken on some night runs, but without a safe neighborhood it’s not that great of an idea :-/ But you got this!! Half the training is mental anyways…

Way to go on your 10k PR!! I think all your interval/tempo/hill training is paying off in a very good way 🙂

It definitely gets hard to stay on track. The only thing you can do is put it on your schedule and keep it a priority. Sometimes you have to trick yourself into it too. I used to commute to NYC by train/subway which would take 1.5-2 hours EACH WAY. The only way I could get a workout in was if I brought my gym clothes/shoes and went to the gym by work right after. If I went home first – forget about it, I would be way too exhausted from the long commute.

The other thing I did was buy myself a treadmill. I looked on Craigslist and found one that was barely used, went to check it out, and bought it for half the price of the original value! Although you may not be able to do this yet (considering all the wedding costs), you never know until you look! There are some people just looking to get rid of theirs. It has honestly been one of the best investments I’ve made to my running! I still have my days where I don’t get my intended running in, but having a treadmill at home makes it alot harder for me to put my running to the side.

I definitely want to invest in a treadmill once we’re back in our own place (currently living with the future in-laws). I just feel like I’d have way less of an excuse if it was RIGHT.THERE.

Look at the improvement! I am hoping to get back some of my speed this upcoming training cycle. I wore the sparkly toms in blue for our wedding reception dancing (I wore killer heels for the ceremony and cocktail hour). You won’t be sorry!

Congrats on the 10K PR! (Official or not, that time is pretty awesome!!) And those wedding shoes are super cute. Comfy is key! (I wore Chucks. My grandparents were horrified, but it was one of the best wedding decisions I made 🙂 ).

5. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

Firstly, Energy Bits are my new crack. Love ’em!! Second, I have figured out the secret to fitting in ALL the workouts….Kellie is going to win Powerball and support all of us so we no longer have to work. AND hire us some really hot runner trainer guy. One that will make us do a million pushups so we no longer have to worry about overpriced sports bras. But we won’t mind because he’ll look like Jon Bon Jovi and tell us we’re all the hottest babes to ever walk the planet. Did that all just actually vomit out of my brain??? Oh well…teeheehee…..:)

Great job and awesome virt-10k PR! I have still yet to run a 10k … hard to believe. Love seeing how you are improving – great stuff!

Lisa wore flats in her ‘change out’ outfit for the reception (so many years ago 🙂 ), and it does make the dancing and all that stuff more fun. So enjoy!

As for the busy … I just get up crazy stupid early in the morning so it has never been an issue. But for normal people it isn’t quite so simple (esp if you are living with others!). It is only the last few years I could run weekends now that the kids are older and independent.

I think flats are the way to go! So much more comfortable. And if you have a long dress, no one sees your shoes anyway!

I admire your ability to get up crazy stupid early. I tried that for a while, and was never able to get to bed early enough to make the earlier time worth it. I was tired all the time, so it didn’t work out.

7. greenmountainlife says:

Wedding like next month?? How did I miss that? So exciting! Love the shoes, my friend bought purple crochet looking Toms for her wedding day and it was the best decision she made all day!

I’m actually horrible at making time to work out when life gets busy hence the 15 in 15 thing but I have learned to just let go of that bummed feeling when I miss a work out and instead get that much more excited for the next one I actually complete. I’ve actually been much better about getting to the gym for at least a mile or so on the treadmill a few times over the last week so I’m taking that positive and running with it… puns 😉

8. irishrunnerchick says:

Those shoes are awesome! I can’t believe your wedding is coming up so close. At times like this you have to choose your priorities – and exercise usually loses out when trying to organize one of the best days of your life – and that was totally fine with me.