Friday Free-For-All (Nineteen)

Welcome to Friday Free-For-All, where I talk about anything and everything on my mind.  This is usually just a great big brain dump, so brace yourselves!

Running is a cruel, vindictive mistress.  I took all of last week off from running due to general burnout.  Then, I didn’t run the first half of this week due to a vicious head-cold.  I finally made it to the treadmill last night with the goal of completing at least a 5k.  I started out nice and slow, but I knew I was responsible for cooking dinner, so I gradually picked up the pace throughout the course of the run in order to get done and get home faster.  About 1 mile in, I noticed that my right groin/hip was a little twinge-y, but I carried on, focusing on good form, sure that it was just complaining about running again after an extended break.  I finished with a respectable 5k time of 29:40, and went home, where my hip continued to complain.  I stretched and rolled and went to bed, worried.  Sure enough, I woke up this morning and it’s still not happy with me.  I wouldn’t call it a full-blown injury (very minor pain), but it could definitely progress if I’m not careful.  This is really poor timing.  I’m supposed to run a half marathon in 9 days.  I know it’s probably my fault for not taking it as easy as I should have after not running for a week and a half, but it feels a teeny bit like the Running Gods are punishing me for taking time off.  Now I’m worried because this weekend was my last chance to get a double digit run in before the half next weekend, and I’m not sure I a) should even try to do it, or b) would be able to even if I do attempt it.  I’m planning to do some gentle yoga and more stretching tonight to see if that helps, and I may put my long run off until Sunday to give my leg a chance to figure itself out.

Ben’s bachelor party is this weekend.  He is very excited.  His cousin Will is even making the trip over from Rochester, NY, which is about a 7 hour drive on a good day.  This means that I’ll have Saturday night all to myself.  I’ll most likely be home in my PJs drinking wine and playing video games, because I’m not actually having a bachelorette party.  What’s that you say?  How come I’m not having one?  Quite frankly, that’s just not my scene.  I don’t need a “final hoorah” before getting married because I know that getting married isn’t going to prevent me from having fun and seeing my girlfriends when I want to, and the whole “let’s go to the bars and get wasted” thing is really not my scene anymore.  Not to mention the fact that my schedule is jam-packed right now, so trying to add another official “event” into the mix would stress me right the fuck out.  So yeah.  I might just call up one of my girlfriends and see if she wants to watch Disney movies in our PJs while eating ice cream.  Definitely more my speed.

antisocial

Bagels with cream cheese are one of the most perfect foods on this earth.  I’m currently eating a whole wheat bagel with plain cream cheese, and I’m pretty much in romantic love with it right now.  Ben had better watch out–I might decide to marry this bagel instead of him.  Just kidding.  Imma eat this bagel.

Have you ever dealt with an injury/strain right before a big race?  Any advice?

What’s your favorite breakfast food?

19 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All (Nineteen)

1. prairieprincessrunners says:

I have dealt with many pre-race injuries. I fractured an ankle and nearly severed a tendon in my ankle on a pot hole in Minneapolis, a week exactly before I did a half…I went to the doc, was misdiagnosed as a mild sprain and told I could still run, so I did. lol Maybe not the best plan to follow. 😉

2. kebe51 says:

Ummm, the running gods are punishing you for going full speedy force immediately after taking a break, NOT for taking a break silly! You’re nuts! And ummm, yeah, I also ran a half marathon with a minor sprained ankle (a year of training was not going to stop me dammit!) But I think that you should take it easy. You’ve done the distance before, you’ve been great with your training, if you’re in pain, it’s better for your race to rest and skip this double digit run than to try and push through it just to get a last double digit run in before the race.

3. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

Hello! I’ve been running races injured for probably as long as you’ve been alive. You’ll be FINE. Stretch/roll/stretch/roll and stalk Danielle for the best yoga moves. Bagels and cream cheese are the BEST BREAKFAST FOODS EVER. If you watch Frozen Saturday night, I will too. As long as it’s around 6pm. I have 10 on the menu for Sunday morning. Life on the edge.

I didn’t have a bachelorette party either, for the same reasons. I like the sound of your plans much better than a “last hoorah” 🙂

I’m still nursing sore knees two days out from my half and have no idea how this is going to go, so I have no advice. In lieu of that, I’ll be sending healthy-hip vibes your way and hoping it’s nothing serious!

Bagels and cream cheese are wonderful. They’re up there on my list of favorite breakfast foods, but it’s hard for me to pick one favorite. I’d probably eat breakfast foods for all meals if I could (read: if Drew would let me 😉 )

5. veryrach says:

I used to work at a Bagel Shop during high school and that’s where I fell dramatically in love with Bagels too!!! Seriously they are the best things ever, and the place I worked at the BEST EVER Everything bagels. I.Love.Bagels. lol you are not alone. Also, I love hanging out at home rather than going out. Movies and ice cream sound like the best kind of party! Hope your hip feels better. that’s such a bummer 😦

Bagels are truly the best. There’s a place near me that makes a sunflower seed bagel–they’re baked into the bagel and sprinkled on the outside so they get all crisp and roasted… Mmmmmmm.

Yeah, I will most likely just stay home. Especially with a bum hip.

Idiot running. Get better. Let’s talk about happy things: Alex went out with his friends to Vegas for a joint bachelor party; I went out with my bridesmaids the Friday night of our wedding (we got married on Sunday) to a sushi restaurant, then an outdoor bar, then met up with the boys and our friends at a bar. Then early to bed. TWAS GLORIOUS. Just girl time. Until the boys, obviously

Sorry you are hurting! Hope you feel better – sounds like you are doing a great job taking care. Take it slow and don’t worry so much about the long run – staying healthy is MUCH more important!

Traditional party themes are WAY over-rated … why can’t be Disney movies, ice cream and pajamas be your ‘bachelorette party’? I mean, really?!?

For mine, my brother, dad and a few friends took me to the Sam Adams brewery for a tour (this was early days when it was new and before microbrews were ‘a thing’), then out one of my friends’ boat (his dad’s boat, actually) on Boston Harbor for a while, then to Medieval Manor for dinner & show. I ended up drunk because I had no tolerance after all my weight loss, but drinking wasn’t the focus … I made it clear that I didn’t want to hang out in bars and definitely wasn’t interested in what was ‘traditional’ bachelor party stuff back then (i.e. strippers). It was a fun, relaxing time with friends – no stress.

Can’t believe your race is so close … oh wait, that means mine is next weekend also. Oops … good thing I don’t care, I guess 😉

Sounds like you had a great bachelor party! I’m just super anti-social lately, so I’m more inclined to chill out by myself and enjoy some alone time.

I forgot you’re racing next weekend too! Yay!

Wishing you a speedy recovery! It sucks, but we all need little reminders sometimes to be patient :/

Also, I love your idea of chilling out instead (whether by yourself or with a friend). If I ever get married, my idea of a bachelorette party is pretty much like yours: sleepover with my best girls, Disney movies, and wine!