Goals for Half Marathon #2

All along, I’ve been planning on this race being sort of a “redemption race.”  My first half marathon in June was really, really rough.  I had trained pretty well and thought I was prepared for just about anything.  I had set my sights on a goal of finishing sub 2:30.  But as you may recall, it was not great.  Race day was hot and humid, and the course was 13 miles of un-shaded highway.  I finished with a respectable time of 2:41 and change, but the entire experience of running the race was pretty miserable.

First ever race medal!

But I did get a medal, so there’s that

At the outset of training for this half, I was hopeful that cooler fall temperatures, lower humidity, and more training would net me a PR and a more positive racing experience.  Training started out strong, and I felt sure a PR was within reach.  Now, however, I’ve had a few consecutive weeks of little-to-no training.  I also haven’t done a long run of more than 9 miles.  All week, I’ve been torn between being determined to go for my goal and being afraid that if I go all-out, I’ll kill myself.

But today, I’ve decided that I’m going for it.  I don’t have plans to do any more half marathons until the spring, and I don’t plan to run any distances longer than 10k for a good long while, so I’m going to give it my all on Sunday, and try to achieve what I set out to do when I started training in August.  And if it doesn’t happen, I can just bide my time until next year, cross-train my butt off over the winter (hello, nordic skiing!), and come back in the spring ready to kick butt.

So after that long, rambling introduction, here are my goals:

• Finish sub-2:30
  • PR (anything faster than 2:41)
  • Only walk while taking fuel/drinking water
  • Enjoy the run (at least more than the June half!)

What’s your current half marathon PR?

24 thoughts on “Goals for Half Marathon #2

I’m so glad you’re going for it! I know you will do better in this race. I’ve followed your workouts and you have improved a ton. Just for some more good motivation too, I ran a super hot, humid half in September (my pace was even worse than 18-mile training runs – it was THAT BAD) and then I just ran another half this past weekend and completed it 18 minutes faster! The point is, my fitness didn’t improve that much in just one month (that’d be pretty crazy), but the weather plays a HUGE role in what happens in your race and since it’s much cooler now, I say go for it and you may surprise yourself with how good you feel compared to your last half 😀

Thank you! Very good advice to keep in mind. I’m feeling pretty good after having some great short runs this week, so hopefully that will translate to succes on Sunday!

Hells yes!! I like this approach to the race, and I know you’re going to do great! 🙂 It’s bound to be so much more enjoyable than your hot and humid highway half back in August… it’s amazing what cooler weather can do! Best of luck and enjoy it!!

3. Darlene says:

Remember “Finishing=winning” Just enjoy it. If after 9 miles, you are tired, I would walk. You don’t want to end up with an overuse injury such as a stress fracture and be off running for a while – it’s no fun. My goal is as you – sub 2:30. My PR is 2:22 and then was because it was COLD and rainy!! Good luck!!

Good luck dear! My half marathon is quite a bit faster than what I am currently running. No matter. I echo what everyone else has said: just have as much fun as you can. ANd enjoy the finish. And your post race medal wearing burrito eating (yeah, I remember)

5. irishrunnerchick says:

Best of luck this weekend! My best advice is to relax and start a little slower than your goal pace. You have all the miles in your legs so now just have to try to enjoy it. I hope the weather works out for you. Funnily enough all of my half marathon times are within 3 mins of each other………but the one I ran in negative splits was the most enjoyable by far!

6. kebe51 says:

You seriously have no idea how excited for you I am for this race! I cannot WAIT to hear about your ridiculously amazing time, although I will admittedly will be uber jealous because you will leave me on my own in the plus 2:30 category. BUT I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! Be prepared for virtual cheering/spectating!

7. Amy says:

I totally think you’ve got this! Knowing what to expect is half the battle, and now you’ve got a half under your belt. Plus the weather really will make a difference…good luck! And, Happy Running!

So excited for you! 🙂

I think your #4 goal should be #1 – have FUN! And I agree with others – keep smart throughout … a PR isn’t worth an injury.

Can’t wait to read the recap!