My First DNS?

I’m taking a break from happy wedding stuff to talk about something not so fun.  I promise a wedding recap is in the works.

As I’ve already mentioned a couple of times (here, here and here), I’m having foot issues.  According to my research, it looks like a possible stress response or maybe stress fracture, because the pain lessens with rest, and increases with use.  This means that I wake up every morning feeling fine, and then my foot begins to hurt more and more throughout the day, which is a horrible tease.

For the last few days, it hasn’t been super bad, but it’s also not really getting better.  I’ve been just a little bit busy lately what with getting married and all, so I haven’t made an appointment with the doctor yet.  I’ve also been kind of putting it off because in my brain, if I don’t have an actual diagnosis, I can just sort of pretend it’s not happening and do my own thing, whereas a diagnosis and doctor’s orders might involve things like boots and not running for 6 weeks.  I’m also sort of afraid of the potential cost of diagnosing my issue.  I’m on a high deductible insurance plan, which means I pay for everything out of pocket until I hit $2500, and x-rays and MRIs ain’t cheap.  And then there’s the possibility that after spending all the time and money for appointments and imaging, I could walk out without a diagnosis at all, and just end up back where I started…

I haven’t run in about 2 weeks, which up ’til now hasn’t been a problem because I’ve been so busy. But I’m signed up for a Turkey Trot 5k on Thursday and a Santa 5k on December 7, and as of right now, I don’t think I’ll be able to do either.  I’ve never had a DNS before, and now I may have 2 in a period of about 2 weeks.  This stinks on multiple levels.  Firstly, that’s about $75 in registration fees that I can’t get back.  Thankfully, both races support excellent charities that I’m happy to give my money to, but it’s just not the same as giving them my money and doing a fun race.

Secondly, the Turkey Trot is a pretty easy course, and I was hoping that after a strong summer training season and a half marathon PR, I could get a shiny new 5k PR too.  That’s obviously out of the question now.  Even if I do run on Thursday (yes, thank you for your concern, I know I shouldn’t), there’s no way I will race it and risk further injury.

I will most likely head over on race morning, pick up my t-shirt and bib, and just cheer on the other runners.  It will make me really pissy, but I guess I’ll survive.  And in the meantime, I’d better call the doctor.

Have you ever had a DNS (did not start)?

How do you handle injury? Do you rush straight to the doc, or do you try to ignore it and hope for the best?

Are you running a Turkey Trot on Thursday?

28 thoughts on “My First DNS?

1. veryrach says:

ugh that totally stinks!!! I ALWAYS ignore my injuries or pains until I really cant stand it anymore. The $$ in your situation would really irk me too. Not only the lost race fees, but the doctor’s visit sounds like it may end up costing you an arm and a foot! (no pun intended) I’ll pray for a magical foot fairy for you.

2. Darlene says:

I’m not a good person to ask. I ran two 5ks with a stress fracture …the good thing, it only shows up in an xray after it has started to heal..so I was only in a boot for 3 weeks but off running for about 6.

Sorry to hear this! 😦

I had a DNS the first weekend in November, when I was going to run the Red Baron Half for the 3rd straight year but came down sick enough that there was just no way. A little disappointed, but I know it was the right call.

The toughest thing is always thinking long term – live to run another day.

4. Healthy Simple Smart says:

I just had a DNS and it was a huge bummer, so I feel ya. I also totally understand the hesitation in getting it checked out. Every time I go to the doctor I’m so nervous I’ll get like a $400 bill in the mail! It’s always hard to be honest with yourself and say “I don’t think I should do this” because (at least in my case) it feels like a cop-out somehow. Well, I think you’re doing the right thing by (at the very least) recognizing that no, you probably shouldn’t run soon. Rest up over the holidays and I hope your foot feels better!

5. irishrunnerchick says:

Bummer! I’m just (and slowly) recovering from a diagnosed stress response. I went to the doctor once the pain made it hurt to walk because I was freaked out that I might have broken something. Because I caught it early I was told to take two weeks off and then start back slowly. In the meantime I was free to bike and swim – but nothing that would put pressure on my feet. This also meant a DNS at a half marathon in November that I was hoping to PR at. Oh well. It was the right call. What I did was to get my entry carried over until next year – maybe one (or both) of your races will have that option? Don’t freak out too much!

I’m trying to be smart about all this, but it’s hard. I don’t think either of my races will allow me to defer, but it’s worth looking into. And I’m so glad you’re doing better!

6. Jess (JessRunsHappy) says:

Ok, first of all – CONGRATULATIONS! You were such a gorgeous bride 🙂
    And secondly – Ugh, I’m so sorry you’re injured!! But take it from me – see the doc. I ignored my achy knee and ended up tearing my acl because I didn’t want to admit there was a problem and thought it’d go away. That meant *Super Painful* surgery, 4 months of tough physical therapy, and 6 months of no running (not to mention spending more $$ than just the initial X-rays and scans) – it’s SO worth getting a good orthopedist to take a look at it!
    I’ll be thinking about you, keep us posted – and best of luck!

Oh no! I’m sorry you’re hurting and I hope it’s nothing. Definitely get it checked out. Maybe it won’t be so bad and then at least you’ll have a clearer picture. I used to hope things would go away on their own but after everything this year I would much rather get a medical opinion.

BOOOOOOOOO JUST BOOOOOOOOOOO
    and it ain’t the season for ghosts, so booo to that too. I hope that it is just a stress reaction. Those are painful, but fixable, and in relatively short stead. Keep us updated.
    I’ve had 2 DNS, and both were game time-ish decisions–my half in Charlottesville that my MOM CAME UP FOR and the Zooma race this summer. Almost my marathon last year! It happens to all of us.

9. Courtney @ Don't Blink. Just Run. says:

With all the injuries I’ve had in my few short years of running, I’ve come to listen to my body pretty well in terms of soreness vs. injury. I don’t mess around if I know something is really wrong. As much as it sucks, I think DNS is a good idea. 6 weeks would be better than 6 months should it become worse, whatever it may be. I hope you get it sorted out soon!

10. Amy says:

This is such a bummer! I’m sorry to hear about your foot and the races. Any chance of walking them? (Assuming that doesn’t hurt your foot). Well, either way, I think not running would be a smart choice, but one I can’t say I’d be very good at making for myself.

11. Nora says:

I also ignored my injury, being afraid of a diagnosis. I thought I could cure myself with rest and ice. After a couple weeks I went to the doctor. I got my diagnosis (stress fracture) last November which was good because I could hibernate all winter.