6 Weeks

Today marks exactly six weeks since my last run.  It was a painful one.  My left foot had been hurting for a few days, but I decided to run anyway in the hopes that a short run would warm it up and loosen up whatever was angry in there.  That was a mistake.

mistake

After that day, my foot hurt even more.  Like a lot.  And it didn’t want to get better.  I went to the doctor and got x-rays, but didn’t have a stress fracture.  My doc didn’t know what the issue was and told me to just “treat it like a stress fracture.”  Which meant no running.  Which sucked.

It’s been a long six weeks.  Lots of butt-sitting.  Lots of whining.  Lots of trying to understand why some people enjoy biking (ow, my butt).  But now, finally, my foot feels better.  It’s actually been pain free for over two weeks, but I didn’t want to rush into things and possibly have a relapse and be super angry.

So today, for the first time in six weeks, I will attempt to “run.”  I put it in quotation marks because it will be neither fast nor far.  A mile max, with a good warm-up and cool-down, and sloooooow.  And I will stretch and ice and wear my arch support inserts and squishy shoes.  And take it easy tomorrow.  And if all goes well, I’ll try another mile later in the week.  Wheeee!

What’s the longest you’ve had to take off running due to injury?  What did you do to keep your sanity in the meantime?

31 thoughts on “6 Weeks

1. allisonfiorini says:

Good luck today! I hate being injured. In 2013 I had two stress fractures: femoral shaft in the spring, tibia in the fall (that was technically a stress reaction). Luckily, I got back to running 4 weeks after the femur (since it wasn’t the femoral neck it wasn’t as bad as it could have been) and then again in the fall for 5 weeks. It was awful the second time around because I just got my base back and then had to wait another injury out.

Swimming and biking help keep my sanity. I swam in high school and have a road bike so I do really enjoy both of those sports…but not as much as I love to run!

Good luck my dear–let me know how it goes! I took 5? weeks off from running in March with my hamstring injury. I got back into yoga and strength training, and taking the time off was the best thing I could possibly have done!

3. Erica says:

Good luck today! It is sooooooooo frustrating not being able to run! I am just getting back into it after a good 3 weeks off. It is amazing how much I missed it and I felt so blah. I hope you have an easy transition back into it, take your time and be patient. (I was quite annoyed I did not start where I left off)

Good luck with your run! Fingers crossed that your foot is all healed and ready to get back out on the roads/treadmills 🙂 Unfortunately I think I am having serious foot problems of my own… I might be looking at a few weeks off myself. This makes me sad. I think so far the longest I’ve had to rest with injury was 6 weeks, when I messed up my ankle back in April. It felt sooooo long!

Been thinking about you … hope this goes well, and be sure to share how it goes. And definitely don’t push it. Nice and slow and easy – and expect it to suck!

As for me … if I get to February it will be 26 years uninjured. #fingerscrossed

Good luck to you! I’ll be crossing my fingers for you. I’ve taken a little over a week off (which is driving me crazy!) because of foot pain that started up. I’m planning on trying out a short 2-3 miles tonight since it’s been feeling good 🙂 Let’s do this!

7. irishrunnerchick says:

Good luck with your run! For my first run back I did 5 mins warm-up, ran a mile and then walked for 5ish minutes to cool down. All on the treadmill so I could bail immediately if I needed to. My biggest break was 6 weeks last year with hip bursitis – no beuno.

8. piratebobcat says:

I know it’s frustrating. After my first 26.2 my IT band was so messed up that I made myself take 4-5 months off. Then I started from scratch – 1 mile run. Gradually worked my way back up. And got smarter along the way.