I’m Back, Baby!

Well, I finally did it.  I finally got back to running after a 6 week, injury-induced hiatus.

carlton

I tried to approach my first run back with a lot of caution.  I didn’t want to feel good and be like, “Oh, hey, I’m FINE, this is GREAT!  I’ll run three miles instead of one” and end up injuring myself all over again.  Thankfully, my body made me take it easy.  It was like, “Woah, there, buddy, we haven’t done this in a LONG time.  Let’s not go crazy.”  So it was a slow and easy mile, with a good half mile warm up, and then I finished up with 15 minutes on the bike on a hill setting.

It’s funny, coming back from an injury definitely makes you hyper-aware of all the little niggles and tweaks.  Every minute or so it was like, “Wait, my ankle feels weird.  Should I stop?  No, I’m ok.  Now my glutes hurt.  Why????”  I feel like I’m even more of a hypochondriac now than I was before.

When I was done, I made sure to stretch out really well, and I rolled some when I got home.  The good news is, it FELT FINE!  It still feels fine today!  The rest of me, however, feels like it got hit by a truck, because I haven’t been using my muscles this way in forever, but DANG it feels good!

I plan to take it easy today, and maybe try another mile or so on Wednesday or Thursday.  YAAAAAAAY!

27 thoughts on “I’m Back, Baby!

1. allisonfiorini says:

Nice job on your run! I’ve come back from a few injuries and every single little thing makes me think I am re-injured again. It helps if I listen to music when I run when I come back because I can focus on the music and not every little fake tweak I feel!

YAY!!! That’s exciting! The same thing happened with me. I feel like I was just waiting for the pain to come back and every time my foot landed I got so worried. I like your plan of not running again today too…give it rest in between!

YAY!!! *happy dance/Carlton dance/muppet flail* Glad you’re back and that your first run was successful! I’m always hyper-aware of every single little thing after coming back from injury too… so scared it might be something bad again!

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!! 🙂

So glad to hear that the first outing went well. And oddly, also glad that you hurt – one of the dangers is when you feel totally awesome the next day and say ‘instead of one mile, let’s do FIVE!’ haha 🙂

And the Carlton dance GIF was perfect 🙂

5. Amy says:

Hooray! I was thinking about you on my run last night, and hoping everything went well. Good job not over doing it, that’s a huge temptation, I’m sure.

6. kebe51 says:

I know this is where I’m supposed to be all congratulatory (and seriously, woohoo!) but all I can do it sing “It’s Not Unusual” while Carlton is dancing…