2015 Running Goals/Resolutions

It’s that time of year again where people make promises to do things like get their finances under control, lose weight, get a better job etc.  I often make a really loose goal to “get in shape,” but since it’s amorphous and non-specific, I never feel like I’m accomplishing anything and give up halfway through the year.

I sort of fell back into running last March when I decided, for no discernible reason, that I was going to run a half marathon, just because.  And I did.  Twice, in fact.  And it felt REALLY good to do what I said I would.  So I figure if I set more goals and achieve them, I’ll feel even better!  I decided that this year, I would set some very specific, achievable, running/fitness-related goals, so that when 2015 is over and gone I can maybe feel like I actually did something I set out to do.

Without further ado, here they are, in no particular order.

1. Volunteer at a race.  Over the course of running half a dozen or so races in 2014, I met some really cool people, and had some really positive race experiences that were directly related to volunteer interactions.  I’d like to be on the other side and help somebody through a tough race as I’ve been helped so many times.
  2. Run at least 500 miles.  My total mileage for 2014 was 326 (I may run today, but I’m not sure yet), and I’d like to beat it, but also not kill myself, haha!
  3. Run 15 races in 2014.  I know “14 in 2014” was a thing this past year, so I’m gonna jump on the bandwagon and do 15 races this year–any distance, any time.  I’m undecided yet on whether virtual races will count, but they most likely will since the races in my area are somewhat limited.
  4. Run a sub-29 5k race.  My current 5k PR is 29:17, and I know I can do better than that with some speed work.
  5. Run an actual 10k race.  I have run a couple of virtual 10ks, but never a real, live race.  I’d like to see what I can accomplish in a true race setting.  As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve got my sights set on the Tufts Health Plan 10k for Women in October.
  6. Don’t have any non-running months.  In 2014, I didn’t do any running at all in January and February, and very little in November.  I’d like to be much more consistent with my running and training, because I know it will help me to improve.
  7. Participate in the RW Holiday Run Streak.  I REALLY wanted to do this in 2014, but it started just as I was beginning to recover from my foot injury, and I didn’t want to injure myself further.  Next year, as long as I’m healthy, I’d like to see if I can do it.  I ran three days in a row this past week, and it actually felt great.

That’s all I have for now.  I’m sure these goals will evolve, and others may be added as the year goes on, but I feel like this is a good starting point.

What’s your number one running goal/resolution for 2015?

28 thoughts on “2015 Running Goals/Resolutions

I used to do the very same thing with vowing to “get in shape” every year, only to fail in a wretched haze of ambiguity. Specific goals are the way to go, and this is a great list! My biggest running goal for 2015 is to get my 5K PR under 30 minutes… I swear I will do it this year 🙂

I think making more specific goals definitely help keep you more focused and on track to keep your overall general goal 🙂 This is a great list and I hope 2015 is a great year for you!!

3. veryrach says:

My number one goal this year is to run a half marathon! I also like your consistency goal – no “non-running” months for me either! That is definitely something I struggle with. Great list and happy new year!

I think those are some awesome and reasonable goals … except for maybe the streak. I worry about non-rest streaks, and definitely suggest you be very careful … but since it is 11 months until it starts you have plenty of time to think!

That said I did one in 2012 that I started coming off my final half-marathon and was having a hard time getting my rhythm again, so I jumped right into it and did 65 days and more than 480 miles … which was an incredible experience and when I finally stopped I was glad for both doing it … and stopping! 🙂

It will definitely be a “let’s see how this goes and if I hurt or am tired, I’ll stop” rather than a “must finish the streak at all costs.” I think by then I’ll be in a much stronger physical and mental place, but who knows?

Sub 2 hour half is a GREAT goal. It looks like you’re not too far off! I’ll be excited to read about training if you decide to go for the full. I’m definitely a long ways away from tackling one.

Yeah, I’m not very good with following through on 30-day challenges and run streaks, but I’m hoping that in a year I’ll be in a better place, both physically and mentally with my running/fitness, and it won’t seem so overwhelming.