Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone

I got a forwarded email from my coworker Alison on Monday.  20% off registration for a Spartan Race.  I had been seriously considering a Spartan Sprint for a while, since Alison had done the one at Killington this past fall and really enjoyed it.  But I wasn’t sure I wanted to do it.  The catch?  The coupon code was only valid that day.

Long story short, I ended up registering.  I mean, come on, 20% off?  How could I say no?

Of course, I’m equal parts terrified and excited.  I’m terrified because I’ve never really thought of myself as the type to attempt an obstacle course race.  This is something that’s completely outside my comfort zone.  I’m not terribly strong, and this is a race with all kinds of obstacles like rope climbs, wall jumps, and sandbag carries.  It also requires you to complete 30 full burpees for every obstacle you fail.  Newsflash, I can’t even do 10 burpees once, let alone 30 burpees for each of the obstacles I’ll likely fail.

However, I’m excited because this will pretty much force me to focus on strength training in addition to my running.  As of right now, I’m only looking at one half marathon for this year, the Wine and Dine half in WDW in November, which will definitely not be a PR attempt (except in fun!).  This means that since most of my “long runs” will be much shorter this year, I’ll have more time for things like yoga, body pump, and burpees.  Seriously, does anybody aside from Kellie actually do burpees?  They suck.

My friend Andrew (remember I worked out with him once?) will also be doing the Spartan Sprint, so I’m going to see if he’s interested in doing some training together, because I honestly have no idea how to go about training for this.  I Googled “Spartan training,” and got a lot of crazy Cross-Fit style workouts that I am SO not capable of completing on my own.

So yeah, Sunday, September 20 is gonna be crazy!  Hopefully I don’t die…

Have you ever done a Spartan Race?  If not, would you?

If you have done a Spartan Race, how did you train?

23 thoughts on “Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone

1. veryrach says:

I did a run with challenges (and mud)… it was called MuckFest. I’m not sure how it compares, but there were 16 obstacles. It was a little harder than I thought – 1. because I’m afraid of heights so all the “tall” obstacles made my legs jelly. Plus my hands were slippery from mud 2. They had us jumping into pools of mud and holding my breath after running was not something I’d practiced. Also, there was no way to wipe the mud off my face after being fully submerged so I ate a lot of it. Hopefully there is no mud in your race cuz it really made it harder! Can’t wait to learn about your obstacles!

2. greenmountainlife says:

I’ve had a lot of friends do the one at Killington and love it but I’ve never done one probably entirely based on the fact that I’m intimidated. I would love to do it one day, perhaps after I figure out how to really do a burpee in the first place?

Badass! I’ve never done a Spartan, or any kind of obstacle race, and to be honest I’m not really tempted to do one. I have a friend who does charity ones and she’s been bugging me for ages to do one, but I can’t bring myself to, mostly because they tend to include water obstacles and I have a thing about being submerged (I can’t really swim and for this reason would never do a tri either!). I am interested in hearing how you train for it though, and of course reading the recap! 🙂

AWESOME! I’ve thought about doing a Spartan sprint before, but haven’t followed through with it yet. I think one of the hardest aspects of an obstacle course is not so much the physical, but the mental (at least for me anyway). For instance, I’m super scared of heights. I did Tough Mudder and tried all the obstacles, but if I didn’t have a team to push me, I’d have wimped out. Does the Spartan race allow teams? That would make it even more fun. Other than that, I guess practice burpees?! Good luck!! 🙂

They do allow teams! We aren’t getting a formal team together, but I know at least two people who will be there, and I plan to run with at least one of them. It’s definitely going to be mental for me, mostly because I don’t have a lot of faith in my physical ability.

5. irishrunnerchick says:

Wow! That’s pretty badass! Those races look super intimidating to me – all that upper body work. Seems like a great goal to train for overall fitness – and get real good at ropes, arm strength and hopefully not too many burpees.

Never have I ever, but I think you are going to do great with this! Honestly they intimidate me. I’m not an obstacle race type of person, but I have a lot of respect for people that can finish things like this!

I’ve never done one and I only kind of want to. I love the idea of the obstacle course and running but why are always in the mud? I have no desire to run through muck or swim in muck. Other than that they sound awesome, have fun training!

8. kristenk says:

Good luck! I did the Dirty Girl Mud Run once, and it wasn’t that great. The obstacles were a joke (which was actually good for me since I am a wimp haha!) except for the giant mud slide where people were breaking their ankles. Your race sounds much better and much more badass! Props for stepping out of your comfort zone!