Friday Free-For-All – 01/09/2015

Friday

Woohoo!  The first Friday Free-For-All post of 2015!  It’s been a big week around here.  Let’s see what’s up.

Rehearsals for Legally Blonde started.  And they’re AWESOME!  So far, we’re only doing music, but for someone like me, who went to school for theater and grew up singing, there’s just something so exciting and magical about singing and performing with a large group.  Plus, the people are really fun.  Woo!

I got my very first GPS watch!  Ben got me the Garmin FR 220 for a wedding/Christmas gift, and it finally arrived!  I’m totally in love, and can’t wait to take it for an outdoor run.  I’ve used it for one treadmill run (internal accelerometer approximately measures distance), and it seems to be about a quarter of a mile off from the treadmill calibration, but I’m not worried about it.

I got a bonus at work.  This bonus is much-needed and much-appreciated, and means that I can actually afford to do the runDisney Wine and Dine half marathon in November.  Yaaaaay!  I can’t wait to finally meet my accountabilibuddies in person and run through the happiest place on earth with them 😀

It’s been f$(%ing freezing!  As I drove home from rehearsal on Wednesday night, the temp was -10, and that’s without windchill!  I actually saw a guy out running on Thursday morning and wondered what was wrong with his brain that he thought that was a good idea.  I mean, I get that most people prefer running outside to running on the treadmill, but seriously?  Yikes.

I was diagnosed with ocular migraines.  Yep, that’s really a thing.  I had a couple of very scary episodes of blurry vision on Thursday morning and made an emergency appointment with an ophthalmologist.  Turns out, some people have migraines without actually getting a headache; it just manifests as a weird, vibrating blind spot, and usually dissipates after 10 or 15 minutes.  I’m very relieved, because I was honestly worried I might have cancer or be going blind.  I’m a hypochondriac at the best of times, but when something like this happens, I’m on high alert.  While I’m grateful that it’s nothing super serious, it’s a little scary that I could go temporarily partially blind at any time.

Have you ever heard of ocular migraines? Ever had one?

What’s the weather like in your neck of the woods?

26 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 01/09/2015

Let’s not talk weather, but that is crazy about the ocular migraines! Is it just something to tough out, or is there something you can do about it? What little bitches! And YAY for rehearsal! I love theater, would have done theater if I hadn’t ridden horses (conflicting schedules) so I am super excited for you. SO MUCH FUN.
    ANd holllllla $$$ make money monaaaayyyy! Congrats, love! Do you get Tigger back, too?

Unfortunately, I haven’t had Tigger in a while 😦 Time to step up my game at work!

I need to do more research regarding the migraines, but after a cursory search, it seems that they are in the same category as actual migraines, in that there’s not a lot one can do to prevent or predict them 😦

2. veryrach says:

Legally Blonde sounds fuuuuuunn!! I suck at singing, but musicals always looked so fun. I’m a big supporter lol. Congrats on your bonus! Scary about those ocular migraines tho! My BFF has migraines a lot and they are nothing to joke about. Even though they don’t hurt, I hope you can find some relief from them. There’s a cool headband that takes migraines away… very futuristic looking http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-approves-electrical-headband-to-prevent-migraines/

3. piratebobcat says:

Bummer about the migraines, I hadn’t heard of that. I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck with your gps! Stay warm out there. I guess I shouldn’t complain about our Texas cold, huh?

4. greenmountainlife says:

A garmin and a bonus? Rock on! Bummer about the migraines but better to know what is happening than be in the dark about it (horrible person pun). The weather is the same in my neck of the woods 😉 I’m so happy that we are climbing out of it!

Oh, ocular migraines are rough! I’ve had a few, they kind of make you feel a little crazy. Thankfully they don’t last as long as a typical migraine. I have that Garmin, I love it but I am under utilizing all its features!

YAYAYAY! Sounds like your life has some excitement happening! I’m glad you’re doing something you love. I was never a theater type because I get major stage fright, but I love and appreciate watching performances. And yay to your Garmin!! Definitely no need to worry about it being off – the satellite reception really doesn’t work as well indoors. It’s extremely accurate outdoors though 😀 Have fun with your new toy!

I had a co-worker who got ocular migraines and they sounded intense. I’m glad it’s not cancer or you going blind though! At least migraines are usually treatable. I get regular-old headache/nausea/no lights or sounds migraines, which are also no fun. Boo to migraines!

Whoa! My wife gets ocular migraines as well! Growing up she had the ‘normal’ kind that seemed to have gone away, but as an adult she found herself seeing ‘geometric figures’ and assumed it was due to her nasal and sinus issues. She had sinus surgery a few years ago and the ENT guy said ‘no, not normal’, so she’s had MRIs and so on, and that was the diagnosis. She has a fast dissolving sublingual medication that does wonders for her.

I’m glad Lisa found something that works for her, and that she doesn’t get the actual migraine headaches anymore! If it happens again I’ll definitely go to see my GP, but I’m hoping it was just a one-time, or at least VERY occasional occurrence. I’m very anti-medication unless absolutely necessary.

• txa1265 says:

Definitely agree – Lisa doesn’t like taking anything either, but having the meds in her bag to use maybe once every other month it a relief, sort of like her rescue inhaler.