Manic Monday – 01/12/15

Photo Dec 30, 12 48 14 PM

First of all, I need to give a big, congratulatory shout-out to my accountabilibuddies Kellie and Nicole, who completed the Goofy Challenge and the Dopey challenge, respectively, this weekend in WDW.  This was Kellie’s first-ever marathon, and I am SO insanely proud of both of them.  Completing 39.3 or 48.6 miles in just a few days is nothing to scoff at.  Congratulations to Kellie and Nicole, and anyone else who kicked butt in a runDisney event this weekend!

And now down to business!  For the first time in forever, I had a VERY good training week.  My foot is feeling great, and I’m exercising more regularly and eating better than I have in months.  The enforced structure of rehearsals 4 times a week is really helping me develop a routine and stick with it.

Monday 01/05/15:  Ran two slow and easy treadmill miles, then did 20 minutes/5 miles on the bike, and finished up with lots of stretching.  And then about 5 minutes of jump roping at rehearsal too!  There’s a jump roping number in the show, so we’re getting in shape.

Tuesday 01/06/15:  Rest

Wednesday 01/07/15:  1/4 mile warm up, then ran to 3 miles, and a short walking cool down.  I had intended to do some leg strengthening exercises, but I was really pooped after the run, so I just focused on stretching out really well.  At rehearsal, we did a bunch of jump roping too, so I made sure to roll my legs out when I got home.

Thursday 01/08/15:  Unscheduled rest day.  I had intended to try out a Les Mills Sh’Bam class, but I ended up with an ocular migraine and an emergency ophthalmologist appointment instead.

Friday 01/09/15:  Unscheduled rest day.  After a long week, I just didn’t feel like going to the gym.  At least at rehearsal we did a great dynamic warm up, and a few minutes of jump roping.

Saturday 01/10/15:  Rest day.  Lazy, lazy day.  We met some friends for lunch, and then I went to a party.  The good news is, even though it was a really lazy day, it was a pretty good food day, so I felt like I achieved a bit of balance.

Sunday 01/11/15:  I skipped pre-rehearsal yoga in favor of being productive around the house, but we did the customary dynamic warm up and jump roping at rehearsal, which was a nice little blast of cardio.  I also did some leg and core strength exercises at home after rehearsal, including but not limited to planks, bridges and squats.

This is the most active week I’ve had since before my foot injury, so I really have no complaints.  I’d like to run at least 3 times this week, and actually try Sh’Bam on Thursday, but we’ll see.  I’m still technically in recovery mode, and I don’t want to do too much too soon.

How many runs/miles did you manage this week?

What’s your favorite at-home strength exercise or routine?

17 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 01/12/15

I’m hoping that it was just sort of a random, one-time deal and I won’t have one again, or at least not for a long time. And I doubly hope I never experience an ACTUAL migraine. I can’t even imagine how awful that must be.

• prairieprincessrunners says:

They are def. not fun, Rae. I hope it was one off and nothing something that becomes regular. Definitely keep us posted…oh and side note–yay on the runs! So glad your foot is holding up with running and rehearsals.

Sounds like you had a great week of workouts! It’s much easier to workout when you settle into a good routine 🙂 I managed my first 20+ mile week since my marathon last month!

My strength exercises have been a little lacklaster of late (I’ve mainly been doing high-resistance biking for that), but when I do exercises at home, I try to look up different cardio circuits and try those out. Here’s one of my faves: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvbz26icr81r6kyono1_500.jpg

Glad to hear your foot feels good and that it was a good week! Jump roping is a good workout… I haven’t done that since high school. I should change that! 🙂 My favorite at-home thingie is probably the plank. Not that I do it very often…. I should change that too!

3. hellyontherun says:

What is it with these headaches going around??? I had the worst headache(s) of my. entire. life on Sunday. I was seriously bedridden 😦 Hoping you feel better and yay for getting more productive!

You are doing great!! It’s so hard to get back into a routine again after an injury and it sounds like you are right on track. I’m so glad your foot is feeling good too and I agree…take it slow and don’t put too much on it too soon. You’ll be back 100% in no time. 🙂

OMG that is SO awesome! So glad to hear that your foot is doing better, and that you’ve found a routine that helps with eating and exercise! Yay for you!

6. irishrunnerchick says:

Great news about the foot! And it sounds like you are having a blast at rehearsals. I’m all about routine – eventually it just becomes second nature to pack your gym bag and bring it to work. Nice week!