Friday Free-For-All – 01/16/15

Friday

Ben and I had our first date night in I don’t know how long.  It’s been at least since before the wedding.  That’s not to say that we haven’t been spending time together, but most of the activities/parties/trips we do are with other people, and it’s really important for us to have some one-on-one time.  First up was dinner at VT Tap House.  We each had a couple of beers, and split a white pizza with roasted corn, black beans, tomato, chicken, and a cilantro lime drizzle (OMG so good!), and then I had vanilla ice cream and Ben had apple pie.  We finished up with a night out at the movies, and saw Unbroken.  While the story is amazing, I feel like it was over “Hollywood-ified,” if that makes sense.  I really want to read the book now!

I finally tried a Sh’Bam class.  My high school friend Brad, who is also in Legally Blonde with me, has been trying to convince me to come to one of his classes for ages, so I finally bit the bullet.  My coworker Freda and I attended the 5:30 class on Thursday.  I’ll do an actual recap next week, but for now let me say, I LOVED it!

I got my new driver’s license with my married lady name!  Just in case you were wondering, all of the name change hoops you have to jump through after getting married are ridiculous.  First up is a trip to the Social Security office, which is like the DMV on steroids.  Then, a trip to the DMV, which is just unfair.  Then you have to run around to all of your banks, creditors, and various online accounts to make the changes there too.  Next up is the passport, so we can take some awesome trips this year!

Married ladies, did you change your name?

Have you seen Unbroken, or read the book?

Have you ever taken a Sh’Bam class?

16 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 01/16/15

Congrats on date night – we did an impromptu one last night as it ended up that both kids had evening activities so we just went out! We sit on the same side of the table in a booth and everything 🙂 haha

I am reading Unbroken, but the ‘Hollywood-ized’ comment is what I have heard and makes me sad, it is a good book but I will probably never see it.

Lisa changed her name, but also back then NOT changing was a rarity. Not sure how I feel one way or the other about it – it is something I can see from all sides. I think that the growing impermenance of marriage definitely contributes to reasons why NOT to change … but that is a cynical comment, really … or just sad 😦

Have a great weekend!

I thought long and hard about changing my name, and Ben and I had some very honest discussions, even about perhaps making a new last name for both of us. In the end, he was supportive of whatever I chose to do, and I decided that I wanted to have the same last name as our children, so here we are.

Glad you guys got to have a date night too!

OMG that pizza sounds delicious!! I changed my last name and yes, geez, what a hassle! Changing it with HR at work was probably the worst, to be honest. It took 4 tries for them to finally get it right (why was that so hard?!). BUT my last name is much easier to pronounce and spell than my maiden name, so a few weeks of hassle seemed worth it 🙂 I haven’t seen Unbroken, but I do want to read it!

Haha yeah, I’m not looking forward to the work/HR components. The investment management company that we work for has ridiculous compliance requirements, which means that even something like changing my email address will take weeks!

Sounds like a wonderful date night! Glad you finally got to live it up with your man 🙂 I’m going out this weekend with mine to celebrate too. It’s been awhile!

4. Kate says:

I just found your blog and am loving it so far! I did change my name when we got married and it took forever and had so many pieces to it (SS card, drivers license, etc.)! I worked for Social Security at the time, so that part only took like 10 minutes, but everything else was awful, so I feel your pain!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Thankfully all of the more difficult name change stuff is done, but I anticipate that a lot of random little things are going to slip through the cracks and I’ll still be dealing with this for a while!

5. kebe51 says:

Doug didn’t care if I change my last name so I didn’t! I love my last name! It’s a palindrome! Plus all those hoops, so not worth it to add 2 freakin letters (and my last name is way cooler anyway 😛 )

Can’t wait to hear about this Sh’Bam class! Especially since I have no idea what it is lol