Manic Monday – 01/19/15

Photo Dec 30, 12 48 14 PM

Happy Martin Luther King, Jr day!  It was another successful week of training for me.  I got a few runs in, tried a new group fitness class, and did pretty well on the healthy eating front.

Monday 01/12/15:  3 miles on the treadmill plus lots of stretching, and jump rope at rehearsal

Tuesday 01/13/15:  Rest day

Wednesday 01/14/15:  Rest day/date night!

Thursday 01/15/15:  45 minute Sh’Bam class (stay tuned for a post on this!)

Friday 1/16/15:  5k on the treadmill plus core workout, stretching, and jump rope at rehearsal

Saturday 01/17/15:  Did some leg and core strength exercises at home with my resistance bands/body weight

Sunday 01/18/15:  Rest day.  My stomach was a bit unsettled, so I didn’t even do the jump rope warm-ups at rehearsal.

All in all a pretty successful week, especially when you consider that I don’t even have the motivation of a race to train for at the moment.  My goal for this week is to run at least 3 times, and to check out a CXWORX class at the gym on Thursday.  It’s a short, intense class focused on strengthening your core, which will be a perfect complement to my running.

Are you able to stay motivated with your running/cross-training when you don’t have a race coming up?

15 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 01/19/15

It’s definitely harder for me to stay motivated without races on the horizon, but on the plus side, I don’t feel as guilty when I do miss a day 😉 You sound like you’re staying on top of things though!

2. greenmountainlife says:

I’m excited for the Sh’Bam post too 🙂 I guess I’ve been more on the cross training side with yoga and spinning than the actual running lately but I’d like to get more runs in soon to balance.

3. Lily says:

I usually get some runs in when I’m not training for anything, but I much prefer having a plan and knowing what I’m supposed to be doing on what days. But then again, it’s always nice to get a bit of a rest after a tough training period is over!

It’s a tough balance for me. I sometimes get resentful of a “plan” and don’t follow through, whereas without a plan, I just do what I want when I feel like it/have time for it. Of course, that also often leads to doing nothing, so….

Amazing week! I’m so glad your running is going well. Can’t wait to hear about your core class experience.
    I always have a race on the horizon so that I keep up my motivation now!! It definitely gives me something to work towards. I don’t know where I’d be without a race on the calendar. I’m sure I’d still run, but I’d probably laze around a little more too!

Having rehearsal 4 times a week definitely helps provide the structure, even if I’m not training for something specific, otherwise I’m sure I’d be much more lazy!