Back to a Formal Training Schedule

I mentioned briefly in my Manic Monday post that I’m officially training for a 10k on March 21. Since I’ve never actually run a 10k race before (just a couple of virtual races), I wanted to get back to having a training plan so I can hopefully set a new PR. What happened is what usually happens for me: I found a plan and totally doctored it to suit my needs. I was initially set to run a 5 miler that same weekend, but then the race was moved to a later date, so I started with a 5 mile/8k training plan from Hal Higdon.

I had to switch around the running versus cross training days because of my rehearsal schedule, but the basic idea is still the same.Β Right now, my running days are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I do CXWORX on Thursdays, and try to fit Body Pump in where I can. Basically the only day I can fit it in is Tuesdays at 6am, which simply isn’t going to be a regular occurrence. I heart sleep too much. And I keep hoping to get to yoga on Sunday mornings before rehearsal, but again, I heart sleep.

training

Technically, I’m in week 4 right now, but as is always the case for me, I fudge things more often than not. I have all of the scheduled runs written in my planner, but I’m not super married to The Plan, whatever The Plan is in any particular instance. I don’t know, I just have some kind of psychological block against following plans to a “T.”Β I just try to run a few times a week, with at least one “longer” run, and I want to get as close to 6 miles as possible before race day.

Are you good at following a training plan, or do you play it fast and loose like me?

19 thoughts on “Back to a Formal Training Schedule

That looks like a great plan to me! I always leave a little flexibility for some extra rest if I really need it. At the end of the day, if you put the work in but take a little break when you need it, you’ll do even better than if you overwork yourself.
    I create my own training plan and for the most part try to stick with it, but I reassess every week to see how I feel and I definitely don’t beat myself up if I didn’t get in every single workout I had planned. πŸ˜€

My schedule is just too nutty to get paranoid about doing everything The Plan says. As long as I’m running and safely and consistently upping my mileage, I’ll be fine.

Ugh, me and plans don’t get along so well. Even when I try really, really hard to stick to one, something always goes awry. This looks like a good one though… godspeed! πŸ™‚

3. Darlene says:

I am very loose with my plans. Sometimes I don’t feel well or have time or the weather sucks. I just try to run 3 miles a few times a week or a longish run on the weekend.

4. veryrach says:

lol I love sleep a lot too. It’s so hard to get out of bed earlier than you reeeeaaalllllyy have to. At least, that’s what my sleepy brain tells me :c) I’ve never been on a “plan” but I might have to verrryy soon!!

5. irishrunnerchick says:

I think plans are great (they totally worked for me for my marathon) and are a good motivator for me to get out of bed early in the morning to run/workout. But life happens and I usually have to swap things around but they are a great rough guide. Sounds like you have everything under control and you’ll get an automatic PR so the pressure is off!

I am horrible at following plans! With my current plan, I read it over once and then blocked most of it out. Now I check it Sunday nights just see the following week. I find not looking ahead makes it easy to trick myself into completing the workouts. All your cross training is impressive! Good luck!

Thanks! I try to focus on one week at a time too, but my schedule is so hectic and ever-changing that I have to look ahead more than I’d like, which leads to worrying over longer runs. Oh well.

7. Erica says:

I HATE following plans! As soon as it tells me this is what I have to do on a certain day, I don’t want to do it! Same reason I can’t make meal plans. Training with the Running Room has been amazing for me. I show up on scheduled days and run where and how they tell me. Good luck, I hope it goes well πŸ˜€

8. Amy says:

I love having a plan! I usually move days around quite a bit, but I wouldn’t say I play it “fast and loose”. I’ve done that once (as long as I get in the long run I’ll be fine, right?), and boy was it a mistake. So, I try to stick with a plan these days.