Back on Track

Now that Legally Blonde is over and I have a few weeks to myself before Chess rehearsals start, it’s time to re-establish a fitness routine. Towards the end of Legally Blonde rehearsals, I made the tough (but ultimately smart) decision to stop running for a while, because the strain on my shins was too much with all of the jumping rope I had to do for the show. Also as you may remember, I was too exhausted to do much but go through the motions outside of rehearsals and performances for the last week or so. I took two full days off of pretty much any physical activity, and now I’m ready to get back to it.

With the re-establishing of the fitness routine also needs to come better eating. Things have been so insane lately that convenience has become the most important thing, and my diet has consequently suffered. Too many processed carbs, too much sugar, and not enough produce or protein. That’s got to change.

I also need to come up with some more structured strength training to get ready for the Spartan Race on September 20. I’m hoping to be able to start taking Body Pump at least once a week (ideally twice per week), and I’m considering biting the bullet and paying for some personal training sessions to really come up with a plan.

I’d be lying if I said my ultimate goal with all of the above wasn’t to FINALLY lose these extra 10 or so pounds that have crept up on me over the last year or so. It will be better for my running, better for the Spartan Race, and better for my self-esteem. I think investing in a personal trainer is a smart move at this point, because obviously, what I’m doing on my own isn’t working. They say that if you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten. I’m tired of doing the same old workouts and beating my head against a wall, wondering why I’m not getting stronger and leaner. It’s time to call in the big guns. It’s time to get professional help.

Unless and until I finally pull the trigger on personal training, and until Chess rehearsals start, here is what my schedule will probably look like.

• Monday:  Short run at lunch; Body Pump in the evening
  • Tuesday:  Walk at lunch; stretch and roll
  • Wednesday:  Short run at lunch; Body Pump in the evening
  • Thursday:  Walk at lunch; CXWORX in the evening
  • Friday:  Short run at lunch; Body Flow?
  • Saturday:  Longer run or race
  • Sunday:  Rest

I’d still love to incorporate yoga once a week, but I’ve finally accepted that while we’re living with Ben’s parents out in the boonies, it just doesn’t make sense to drive into town on Sunday morning for a yoga class. I’d end up spending more time in the car than in yoga. There’s a 5:15 Body Flow class at my gym on Fridays, but as you can see by the question mark above, I don’t know how reasonable it is that I’d want to go to a yoga type class on Friday evening. My gut says I’d skip it more often than not, especially as the weather gets warmer and more activities start happening on Friday nights. I guess we’ll see.

I’ve also got a few races coming up–a 5 miler on May 2, a 5k on May 9 (visit my fundraising page here), and a 5k on May 14, so I’ve got plenty to keep me busy training-wise.

What’s your number one tip for getting back on track after time off?

Have you ever worked with a personal trainer?

32 thoughts on “Back on Track

I would definitely leave that Body Flow open ended…if you feel like it DO IT! If not, don’t beat yourself up. I don’t know how well I’d be able to commit to timing like that either.
    Congrats on making it through the show and I think you have a great looking plan in place!

Well, you know where to find a PT 😀 (no pressure, just if you are interested) But it you have questions about working with one, hit me up. I think that you just have to be prepared to be in a different place than you were previously–take your body and all the differences it gives you. Those changes aren’t bad–they are just changes! So find what you like, what makes you feel good, and experiment! Have FUN.

Thanks, Susie. I think with a trainer, I’d need someone physically with me–I just don’t have the drive/commitment to do it on my own yet. But maybe after my in-person sessions are done I’ll be in a better frame of mind for coaching from afar!

3. Darlene says:

Congrats for getting back into running. Only advice if just do it and accept no excuses. Good luck on your upcoming races. That should keep you motivated. I want to do yoga too once a week but I never seem to fit it in.

4. veryrach says:

I love that you take the time to plan out how your week would look, and figure out what works and what doesn’t. Personal Trainer sounds fantastic to give you new ideas & push you harder! Good luck!

5. kebe51 says:

I worked with a personal trainer before I got married and it was great, but then I did CrossFit and I honestly feel stronger and faster than I ever did with the trainer. But a definitely has its benefits!

• kebe51 says:

It actually isn’t! At least for me it wasn’t. My trainer was almost $100 a session (hello NYC prices), so just seeing him just once a week costed more that my unlimited monthly CF pass. But you also know I try and talk everyone into CF lol

Yay, welcome back! 🙂 My number one tip for coming back from time off is to ease into it… I always want to zoom back in at the same speed and intensity, but try to give myself an easy workout or two just to make sure everything is as it should be. And apart from one gym-intro session with a trainer (who was a total bro and it was all kinds of awkward), I’ve never worked with one.

I love the idea of a personal trainer but can’t decide if I would actually listen to them or have a knee jerk reaction and sulk like a toddler. Make sure you get some rest before jumping back in too. You worked hard for the last few months- relax a bit!!

8. kristenk says:

It sounds like you’ve got a great workout schedule! Good luck! My only tip for getting back into running is this: I hate to say it, but it’s going to suck at first. But then it will get better and you’ll love it again 🙂 Have fun!

9. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

I know strength training is a weakness of mine…which probably caused my injury. My plan is to do 2 strength training sessions, 1 yoga and run 3-4 times per week. I’d love to try out Body Pump some day…have fun!

Strength training is definitely where I always lack. I try to do squats and planks at home, but I’m inherently lazy so I never keep up with it. Class helps me be consistent and work harder than I would on my own.

I love your planned schedule – it looks great and totally do-able.
    I think a personal trainer is great for pushing you in areas that are your weak point. In my own experience, I’ve found that taking different classes has been a good enough substitute, but if there really is something you want extra one-on-one help with, a personal trainer could be just what you need. Depending where you go you can usually get a cheaper (or sometimes free!) try out session to make sure you like who you’re working with, etc. I would highly suggest doing that!

My biggest issue is upper body strength–I know I’ll need to be able to do some pullup type stuff for Spartan, and I think I need focused training to get there.

11. piratebobcat says:

Smart to take a break. No sense hurting yourself. And now you’ve got the time to do it right. I always start back slow after a time off. Feel it out to make sure my body doesn’t overreact. I hope you’re able to get some yoga back in!