Tuesdays on the Run: Why I Run

For the first time ever, I’m joining the link up “Tuesdays on the Run,” hosted by Erika at MCM Mama Runs, Patty at My No Guilt Life, and April at Run the Great Wide Somewhere. I’ve been having a bit of writer’s block, so I thought it would be nice to have someone else give me an idea. This week’s topic, “Why I Run,” seems like a great topic during Boston Marathon week. Thanks for hosting, ladies!

Tuesdays-on-the-run

I run for alone time. Yes, I love my husband, family, and friends, but sometimes, a girl just needs to be by herself. I think about my day, process things that are happening, listen to music, and enjoy the scenery. I don’t have to talk or socialize. I also have mild social anxiety, so it’s a relief not to have to interact with people for a while.

I run for a stronger body and long term health. I have a family history of breast cancer, Alzheimer’s, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes, and congestive heart failure, so I need to build healthy habits and a strong body now. I don’t want to be 50 years old and injecting myself with insulin every day like my aunts and uncles, or need to have a double mastectomy at 65 like my grandmother. I know that a lot of this isn’t up to me, but being generally healthy can help combat a lot of these issues.

I run for self-esteem. Body issues. We’ve all got ’em. I know I do. But running helps me combat the demons inside my head that tell me I’m not thin enough, not pretty enough, not whatever enough. It makes me feel strong, sexy, and confident.

I run for a sense of accomplishment. Every time I run a new distance or achieve a new PR, I feel like a rock star. Overcoming obstacles, or completing tough workouts always makes me feel good. Running is the one fitness endeavor that I’ve managed to stick with for more than a few weeks, and as long as it makes me feel this awesome, I’ll keep coming back for more.

Why do you run?

25 thoughts on “Tuesdays on the Run: Why I Run

Great post! And ditto to all those reasons… plus another reason I started running is because I was jealous of the medals my friends were earning at races and posting on facebook. Bling ftw! 😉

2. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I have an extensive family background of health issues as well, so in the back of my mind keeping fit is my way of trying to keep these things at bay. I used to enjoy group runs the most, but running solo in the cold this past winter really made me value solo running!

It’s such an awesome time to reflect and relax. I’ve only run with others a handful of times, and while I like it, I really value the alone time I get running solo.

Great reasons!

Running is as much a part of me as just about anything after 26 years! That means ‘me time’, how I feel physically, emotionally and so on, and it is just a passion.

Health is definitely important – not just weight (and body issues), but my dad barely survived a heart attack at 45, my brother had two before 50 including one he only survived because a doctor and nurse were in spin class with a defibrillator in the room with him, and my mom and younger sister have each had one as well.

So for me to be closing in on 50 and in the best shape of my life, able to just go run a half-marathon anytime I wanted to … THAT is priceless to me.

4. Erica says:

Great reasons!

I run because I can!! There was a time when I couldn’t. Now that I am able to run I want to enjoy every minute. I know so many people who would love to run and for a variety of reasons can’t. As they say, I don’t have to run, I GET to run!

And who am I kidding, I love earning the medals!!!

5. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

I run because I love it. Love the feeling of accomplishment after a rub, love how my body is capable of so many miles, love my alone time to think and ponder.
    Lot of the same reasons as you 🙂

6. d20girl says:

Great reasons! I have a lot of heart disease in my family, so running is very important to me in helping me feel like I’m giving myself the best shot at long term health. We’re thrilled to have you linking up with us today!

All the same reasons as you! Running is the only real “me” time I get. I think it makes me a better, more balanced person. Many times when I’m out on a hard run I remind myself when it gets tough that this would likely be the hardest thing I would have to do all day. It puts other things into perspective. 🙂

Awesome! I love running for all those reasons but the #1 for me is probably that sense of accomplishment. I love improving at things and running is probably hands down the easiest sport you can track progress in – just aim to get those times down! It’s awesome when you can look back and see how far you’ve come from where you started 🙂