This week’s topic is warm weather running gear. This is definitely a good one, as we’re (theoretically) moving into the summer months. Although, judging by the fact that it snowed 3 inches last week, I’m not holding my breath. Anyway, having the appropriate gear for any weather is important, and it can take time to acclimate to the spring and summer heat after running through sub-zero temps like we had this winter. Everyone has their necessities, and here are a few of mine, in no particular order.
1. Hat. A hat is a necessity for me for two reasons. First, it helps keep my hair out of my face. This was especially necessary when my hair was too short for a ponytail. Second, it helps to shade my face from the sun. I have a Brooks Nightlife running cap, and it’s great. I got it for $7.99 at TJ Maxx and my only regret is that it’s white.
2. Sunglasses. They prevent me from squinting in the sun, and allow me to actually be able to see where I’m going on sunny days. They also prevent bugs from getting in my eyes when running through wet or wooded areas. I currently have a pair that are too big for my face though; they sit on my cheeks and get fogged up, so I’m in the market for a new pair.
3. Handheld water bottle or hydration belt. Any time I run more than 5 miles, I bring some form of water bottle with me to prevent dehydration. For anything less than double digits, I’ll bring my Nathan handheld bottle, and for more than 10 miles I’ll wear my Fitletic 16oz hydration belt. My Nathan bottle is actually 18 oz and might be more suitable for longer runs, but I get tired of holding it in my hand after a while.
4. Nuun. Nuun electrolyte tabs help keep me from getting dehydrated on those hot days. Zero sugars, no artificial colors, and only 8 calories per tab means I’m not getting a bunch of extra crap like I would by drinking Gatorade or Powerade, and it’s much less expensive. One tab turns 16 oz of water into a flavorful electrolyte beverage with a light fizz. There are lots of flavors to choose from, so there’s something for everyone. (Full disclosure–I am a brand Ambassador for Nuun, because I truly love it. I receive a discount on their products, but do not receive any additional compensation for talking about the products).
5. Old Navy 8″ inseam compression shorts. It took me a LONG time to find shorts that I could run in. I was blessed with large thighs that rub together when I walk or run, so I need shorts that will a) be long enough to prevent chafing, and b) won’t roll or ride up during a run. These shorts are PERFECT. Not so long that they look dorky or awkward, but long enough to protect me from chafeage. The waistband comes up high enough to prevent muffin top, and they come in cute colors and patterns. They’re also very affordable.
What is your favorite warm weather running gear?
Is it warm enough near you to wear shorts yet?
Have you ever tried Nuun?