Trying Out Pilates

For the last few weeks, I’ve been reading about how Kristen at Run Away with Me has been trying out a Pilates boot camp class. At first, she wasn’t into it, but now she loves it, and the results speak for themselves–she lost almost 5 inches over the course of 4 weeks! I was really jealous of her awesome results, but the only Pilates studio I know of near me has absolutely insane prices that I just couldn’t justify paying.

And then last week, I got an email from our office manager that our company would be sponsoring a 5 week Pilates mat class series–one class per week every Wednesday night, with a drop-in price of $12, or all five classes for only $50. At first I waffled, because I already spend a lot of money on my gym membership, and they have Pilates classes that I could take free of charge. But then I decided to go for it, because the classes are literally IN MY BUILDING. I would have to walk right by the room to go home, so it would be super easy. I’d also be in class with friends and coworkers, and $10 per class is a GREAT price.

We had our first class on Wednesday the 29th, and I’ll admit I was a bit nervous because I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was actually quite familiar with a lot of the moves due to having been exposed to them in lots of dance classes. Unfortunately, I felt like I was a bit short-changed on the basic knowledge, because this class has been going on for a while and was only recently opened up to my division. This meant that everyone else in the class had been doing it for weeks, and the instructor very obviously had already given them the core principles and I was just sort of left to figure it out on my own.

Despite that, it was a very fun class. It’s a small group of ladies who are all very friendly and don’t take themselves or the class too seriously at all. And it’s a GREAT workout. My abs were sore for two full days after class, to the point where sneezing was painful. I think this will be a good supplement to running and Body Pump, since it focuses on core strength. And the timing is perfect–the last class is the last week before Chess rehearsals start up on Monday, Wednesday, Sundays, so I can just transition right into rehearsals.

Have you ever tried Pilates? Did you like it?

23 thoughts on “Trying Out Pilates

I’m really liking Pilates–particularly while I am rehabbing. I don’t want to overload my ankle while it is chilling out (yoga has so much focus on stabilization), and I love the new challenge. I’m kinda obsessed with the reformer. Got an extra $5k for me to get one?

2. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

I’ve actually never tried Pilates! Too bad the instructor could get you up to speed on the basics since it was your first class. I like when instructors do that but not directed at you.

I have done Pilates a couple times and was shocked at how difficult it was! Such an awesome workout for your core! I’m so glad you liked it. 🙂

4. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

Sounds like a good time.! I wish my work offered something like that. I need to work more on my core, and I’ve heard pilates does that

5. Erica says:

I tried it years ago from the comfort of my living room! I bought the VHS (yes it was that long ago) Windsor Pilates set. LOVED IT! It is a great workout. I found it very hard in the beginning, though I was very out of shape and very over weight. But quickly saw improvements and results. Good luck!

Thank you! I think it would be an easy thing to practice on your own once you got the basics down. I hope to keep incorporating some of the moves once the series is over.

6. Brittany says:

Believe it or not, I was introduced to Pilates in my high school gym class. I was in really excellent shape back then, and I found it challenging then! I don’t know how I would fare if I did it today lol
    Hope you enjoy the rest of your classes!

7. kristenk says:

Ahhhh I just saw this and I’m so excited for you!!!!! It definitely kills me – I can only handle like 2 classes a week because I’m sore for days! I can’t wait to see how much you like it after a month!