Goals for the Vermont Corporate Cup Challenge 5k

This is my second repeat race of the year–I ran the race last year with a bunch of my coworkers, and had a great time. Unfortunately, the weather was terribly hot and humid, so it ended up being pretty much my slowest 5k ever. I didn’t mind, because I didn’t want to end up puking, and I also got to run the whole race with my coworker Lisa instead of speeding ahead solo.

The weather for this year looks PERFECT. Sunny and 66 degrees with a light breeze. I’ve decided that I’m probably just going to run my own race this year, because Lisa isn’t running. I’ve set a few goals, but nothing crazy. This race is CROWDED. Last year there were about 4000 registered runners and walkers, most of whom had no concept of race etiquette. This is not the race to attempt a PR, and since I have a fresh PR from the Jiggety Jog on Saturday, I’m content to just run a strong race.

• A Goal:  Under 30 minutes
  • B Goal:  No walk breaks
  • C Goal:  Course PR (Under 36:04)

All of these goals are attainable. Nothing crazy. I’m honestly more excited about going out for dinner and drinks after than I am about the race itself. We’re all carpooling down after work, and then meeting at Positive Pie after the race for pizza and beer. What could be better?

Have you ever done a mid-week race?

18 thoughts on “Goals for the Vermont Corporate Cup Challenge 5k

Good luck and have fun! 😀 Those goals all seem attainable, especially with the form you’ve been in lately! Crowded races can sometimes be awesome because there’s such a great atmosphere and people are all pumped up, but yeah… crowds and people with no sense of race etiquette. Boo.
    I ran a few mid-week races in the past, down around the river on the Cambridge/Watertown line. They definitely had a different feel than your average weekend morning race (more relaxed maybe?) and the post-race BBQ with beer seemed much more appropriate! I’m actually signed up for a Thursday night race in July that I’m quite looking forward to 🙂

2. Jessica @ VEGGIE RUNNING MOMMA says:

Mid-week race. that sounds interesting.
    Good Luck.!! I think you’ll reach all of your goals 🙂

3. allisonfiorini says:

Good luck!! I’ve never done a mid-week race before but we do have a few 5K series races around here that run on Wednesdays, but I’ve never done them! I should get in on our summer series that just started up.

I’m bummed I’m missing out on a weekly 5k series on Wednesday nights. I didn’t know it was a thing, so I signed up and paid in advance for a Pilates class series instead.

Bahaha! You won’t puke, I believe in you. PS, I’ll be wearing a royal blue Hickok & Boardman shirt, with a big group of blue H&B shirt-wearers. We’ll be hanging out on the steps of the State House before the race if you wanna say hi–sorry I didn’t get around to emailing you!

4. Run Colby Run says:

GO GET ‘EM LADY! I have done a Corporate Team Triathlon mid-week a few times. And I’m pleased to report that WE WON EVERY YEAR! I love a mid-week race! Fun! And good luck!