Friday Free-For-All – 05/29/15

FFFA (1) It’s moving time!  We haven’t gotten the final word from our property manager, but we’re anticipating that we’ll be able to start moving into the apartment this weekend. The timing isn’t ideal; we have the Craft Brew Race tomorrow, and I have rehearsal and a birthday party on Sunday night. But what can you do? At least we (hopefully) won’t have to move stuff after work all next week.

Today will (hopefully) be my last day with a car commute, and I am SO relieved. Driving around at rush hour stresses me right out, and makes me an angry, foul-mouthed person. I seriously can’t keep my composure anymore. It’s a good thing I keep my windows rolled up, because if other drivers heard what I was yelling at them, I certainly would have more than a few road rage-induced incidents.

I’m racing tomorrow!  You can read my goals for the race here. Regardless of whether or not I hit my goals, I’m VERY excited for this race. It’s the first time Ben and I have raced together since 2012, and there’s a Brew Fest at the finish line. We also get pint glasses and medals, so I’m a happy camper. I’m just worried that the race might be cancelled, because the weather forecast is calling for thunderstorms right around the time of the race start 😦

I hit 100 miles in 2015 this week. That puts me pretty far behind in my goal to reach 500 miles for the year, but with Spartan and Wine and Dine training on the horizon, I’m confident I’ll get there. And if I don’t, it’s not the end of the world.

My 5 week Pilates class series is over. I only went to 3 of the 5 classes. While I enjoyed myself, I don’t really notice a significant difference in my body or strength. I think if I had actually gone to all of the classes, I might have had better results. I also think having more than one class a week would have helped, but oh well. It was fun to try something new, and now I know that Pilates is an awesome workout if I’m ever in the mood for something a little different in the cross-training department.

Do you drive to work? Does commuting stress you out?

14 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 05/29/15

I used to do a 30+ mile each way commute around Boston on 128 … THAT was stressful. Then we moved and I commuted ~20 miles each way on 495 … less stressful, but still stressful. Then for 15 years in our house I commuted 35 miles each way on 495 and back roads … yeah, great stuff.

Now in Corning area … aaahhh, ‘traffic’ is a breeze 🙂 And for 4 of the last 5 years my commute is about 5 miles from home to the ‘innovation center’, with longer drives to my main engineering office and the research center, which I do a few times a week. No biggie at all!

My complaint is that there are no showers here – I would run/bike it in a second if I could shower at work!

Good luck with the move and the race! And be happy with the 100 miles! Yay!

Congrats on the 100-mile milestone! 😀 I used to drive to work, when we first moved out to the super-burbs. It seemed like the least ridiculous way to get to work, but holy stress Batman. People are so ragey, and with all the bikes in Cambridge and Somerville I was just anxious all the time. I take the bus now, which doubled my commute time, but it’s much less stressful. I’m glad you’ll have a better commute from your new place! 🙂 Good luck with the move!

Good luck with moving and the race– remember to beat Ben! I have a pretty solid morning communte–10 minute walk. It is part of the reason that it is so hard for us to consider moving!

Congrats on hitting 100 miles!!!! Oddly enough my commute has decreased my road rage. I used to be horrible and irritated at the smallest thing. Now, it has to be something completely idiotic to make me mad otherwise I treat my drive as a time to blast my music and relax. :). Good luck with the move!

Glad you don’t have to deal with the commute anymore. The only thing I really can’t stand about my job is my commute. Driving across the GWB everyday to get to NYC is definitely NOT ideal. I try to leave before most of the traffic hits but lately I’ve been having a hard time getting up in the morning to leave early :/ There are so many horrible drivers on the road it takes so much focus to not get into an accident everyday. Ugh!
    On the plus side, good luck in your race! Looking forward to hearing about it!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!! I can’t wait to hear about it.
    As far as your mileage goals, you’re doing fine! Especially with the challenges that you’ve had with scheduling and shows.

7. allisonfiorini says:

Good luck with the move and the race, and awesome job hitting 100 miles this month! That’s awesome! And OMG – my commute to and from work is so freaking stressful. I drive, therefore I have rage. LOL.