Lake Champlain Running Club

I know you were all probably expecting a race recap today, but I’m waiting on pictures from my sister–she got some really great ones of me running, so bear with me!

I am so excited to announce that I’m FINALLY joining a running group! Despite the fact that Burlington is about as bustling a metropolis as you can find in Vermont, and despite the fact that it’s a very health conscious community, there seems to be a dearth of running groups. The few I found initially were either based too far away, or their run days totally didn’t jive with my schedule.

Then, about a month ago, I got an email from RaceVermont (they organized my PR half last fall, as well as several other small races I’ve run with them), gauging interest in a RRCA-coached running group sponsored by Fleet Feet. I immediately emailed the guy, but didn’t hear much for a while. I was beginning to think that maybe they weren’t going to follow through after all, but I got a follow up email last week that the first run will be this Saturday! Woohoo!

The group will be running two times a week; on Thursday nights, we’ll set out from the local Fleet Feet store (about 15 minutes away from our new apartment, depending on traffic), and on Saturday mornings, we’ll start from the Shelburne Field House (about 10 minutes away from our new apartment). This schedule is perfect and doesn’t conflict at all with rehearsals. The annual cost is only $10, and all of this is included:

• An annual Fleet Feet Savings Certificate
  • $2.00 off Racevermont.com entry fees (this is amazing because I race with them frequently!)
  • Free LifeTrak Personal Training 1 hour Fitness Assessment
  • Free DeePT injury screening
  • 20% savings on Shelburne Health & Fitness punch pass (1x/member)
  • Lake Champlain running gear available for a discounted price

I’m over the moon excited. One thing I’ve heard consistently from running friends is that running with friends or a group was a main contributing factor to them getting faster and stronger. I’m also psyched to try out some new routes, and hopefully make some new friends. I’ll be sure to give you an update next week 😀

Do you run with a group or groups? What’s your favorite part about it?

20 thoughts on “Lake Champlain Running Club

YAY!!! This is awesome news!! 😀 I *love* being part of a running club… joining the Shammies is the best thing I’ve done since starting up with running, and I’m so pumped that you’ve found a club nearby! And those are some sweet perks too. Huzzah!!

2. Run Colby Run says:

That’s awesome! There are a bunch of running groups around here. Including one that I’ve been meaning to link up with that’s a stone’s throw from where I work. I’m more of a Lone Wolf type. But at least I’m one that’s looking to get out of her comfort zone. Have fun!

3. allisonfiorini says:

Wow, your new group sounds so awesome!! I don’t run with any formal groups but have a pretty amazing group of friends. I love being surrounded by others who love running as much as I do 🙂

That’s awesome!! I have troubles finding a group around here. There is one that I know but the schedules don’t work out. I admit that I also feel like a wannabe so that may be adding to my hesitation. Your group sounds awesome- have fun!

That’s so awesome! I am part of a couple different groups and plan on getting out on more group runs this summer. It’s something I waited way too long to get into and I’m so enjoying the social aspect of it! You are going to LOVE it!

Those are great perks for such a low cost!! Yay to running groups!!! I especially enjoy doing my long runs with my Fleet Feet crew. They are so great for motivation 🙂

7. kristenk says:

Yay this is so exciting! I love running with my training group and I’m sad that it will be over soon. I need a group to run with a few days a week now!