Friday Free-For-All – 07/24/15

FFFA (1)

Remember those ginger candies I told you about last week? Unfortunately, they are not quite what I was hoping for. They taste ok, but they don’t have that super awesome spicy-ness that I was looking for. I’ll eat them all so as not to waste money, but the search continues for a direct source. I’m going to try some local shops to see what I can find.

I caved and had a beer on Monday. And it was DELICIOUS. I know, I know, I said I was going off the sauce. But I’ve decided that even though my intention will be to drink as little alcohol as humanly possible this summer, there will be some special occasions that I don’t want to miss out on. Ben and I went to the Swtichback Taproom for the first time. It’s one of our favorite beers, and the brewery/tasting room is a 10 minute walk from our apartment. We went for a walk on Monday night, and the malty scent emanating from the building was just too much to resist. In reality, having one beer or less per week will not have a hugely adverse affect on my singing.

The kitties are finally getting along! Creemee is still a typical big sister–game to play sometimes, but easily annoyed and obviously too cool for her little brother. But in the moments when they play or cuddle or groom each other, my heart melts. It’s only been two weeks, so I’m excited to watch them grow to love one another. I think that once Rocket gets a bit older and calms down some, they’ll get along handsomely.

Photo Jul 18, 4 26 31 PM

I started a training plan for W&D and my other potential fall half. I’m trying out the My Asics app. Basically, you input your goals and current abilities, and it puts together a training plan that will help you get there. Supposedly it “learns” and adapts the plan as you complete workouts. There are different phases like “Pre-Conditioning,” “Getting Faster,” “Going Further” etc, which is interesting. I’m somewhat skeptical, but willing to give it the ole college try. I figured using a legit training plan instead of cobbling something together myself might be a good idea if I’m going to complete two half marathons in 7 days. Right now, I’m a little confused by the fact that there are no cross-training days, but I can just add those in on my own as needed. I’ll check back in on how this is going in a few weeks.

There are only 20 people registered for the 10k I’m running tomorrow. And only one other female in my age group. Possible Age Group award? *crosses fingers* Only time will tell, but I will say that I’m planning to RACE this one. I’ve been running pretty strong lately and I know I’m faster than I’ve ever been, so I have high hopes.

Who else is racing this weekend?

18 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 07/24/15

1. allisonfiorini says:

Stopppppp with the kitties – I can’t take how cute they are! I have two kitties, and they didn’t get along at first – Zola is Newton’s big sister, and she wasn’t happy about his arrival. They are in love now, though!

2. kebe51 says:

Good luck on the 10K! You’re gonna rock it!

And don’t worry too much about 2 half marathons in a week…have you forgotten that some of us are running a full marathon a 2 weeks before W&D? And that some of us are already significantly slower than you? So basically you could walk half the race and then still catch up with me…

For the ginger candies, have you thought about just asking that person if she would pick some up for you at the store and then you just give her the money?

Wow, I think I have as many random comments as there were random thoughts. MY BAD!

The problem with the ginger candies is that buying them from that store is expensive. I want to find a direct source so I can cut out the middle man. I suppose I could ask that store where they order them from…

Run like the wind this weekend!! 😀 Your cats are too adorable. Drew and I have been cat-sitting this week and it’s been awesome to hang out with a kitty again. (He’s not as cute as Creemee and Rocket though!)

I think it is funny that you’re in such a small race … I have never done one below ~300 or so people! Good luck and remember that the most important things is to have fun and run your race – if you do those two things, nothing else matters. If you don’t … nothing else matters! 🙂

As for the beer … as I commented on your other post – cut yourself some slack! 🙂

Oh, I’m definitely cutting slack. I have no regrets and feel great about my choice on Monday. As you said, it’s making intentional choices. I knew that I REALLY wanted a beer, so I had one. It was great.

I was looking at those too. The kind I got are called “sanded ginger” candies–they’re just a hard candy type thing. Too sweet and not spicy enough. I’ll go with Gin Gins next time!