The lovely Charissa of Charissa Running tagged me to do a fun runner’s survey. Since I haven’t been running much lately (for a very good reason!), it’s nice to have a fun little prompt for a blog post. Enjoy!
Considering that the beach is pretty much my absolute favorite place to be, I’m gonna go with beach path. Especially if I can jump in the water once I’m done!
2. If you could choose the flavor of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
Lemon-Lime is usually my favorite.
3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would you purchase with it?
Oo, that’s a toughie. I just got new shoes, so I might go with socks, or a new handheld water bottle. Mine is too big and is really difficult to drink out of. And several tubes of Nuun as well!
4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and then decide how far and how fast you want to run?
A little bit of both? I like the structure of a training plan to help me meet my goals, but sometimes I just know that the mileage or paces that are on the schedule for the day aren’t what’s in my best interest.
5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
Definitely start with the uphill. Then you get an immediate sense of accomplishment and know that the worst is behind you, so finishing strong is easy.
6. When you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do?
Not much, haha! Especially with how busy I’ve been lately. When I have time, I love Les Mills classes like Body Pump and CXWORX. I wish I could do yoga more, but it’s just too expensive 😦
7. What is your preference—>out and back, point to point, or loop runs?
Loop runs are great, because you get new scenery the whole time, but still end up back where you started.
8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner it would be…?
Good shoes! Seriously, get fitted and just suck it up and pay for the good shoes. Your feet and joints will thank you!
9. Do you see any wild animals while out on your runs?
Lots of birds and squirrels, but not too much else.
10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
Thankfully, no. I know the roads in my neighborhood like the back of my hand, and if I’m going to be running in a new place, I ALWAYS map out a route beforehand.
11. If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days…what would it be?
Macaroni and cheese. Omnomnomnomnom.
12. Capris or shorts? What do you run in most?
It depends on the time of year. I wear shorts in the summer, capris in the spring and fall, and tights during the winter.
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?
Usually after the first mile I feel like I’ve found my groove.
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
I either put it in the pocket of my shorts or clip it into my FlipBelt.
15. If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one?
Meh, I don’t think any of my races thus far have been special enough to relive.
16. What type of run is your least favorite?
I don’t really like long runs. I psych myself out really easily and end up dreading them during the whole lead-up, and then I just feel like crap all throughout.
17. When you go for a run, do you leave from your front door or drive somewhere to start?
98% of the time, I start running right outside my door, but for run club runs and some long runs, I’ll drive elsewhere. I’d like to try starting in new places more often to alleviate boredom, but then it’s just one more step between me and being done, so I usually just take the easy route.
18. When running in daylight, are sunglasses a must or an annoyance?
MUST. Especially when running along the lakefront bikepath, because holy gnats, Batman! Without sunglasses, bugs are a problem. I also like not having to try to hide the pain in my eyes during a tough run, haha!
19. When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting?
Thinking about my goals usually helps push me through. Sometimes it’s a short-term goal like an upcoming race, sometimes it’s a long-term goal like staying healthy and fit for my whole life.
And now, I’ll tag a few friends to play along!
Everyone else, feel free to play along too!