Life Update: STRESS!

It’s been a while since I talked about life. In a word, it’s stressful. I alluded to this in Monday’s post, but I feel like I sort of let my schedule get away from me this month, on top of a bunch of other stressful goings-on. Here’s what’s up:

First things first: I’m booked solid every single weekend in September. This weekend is the final weekend of Chess, next weekend is our pig roast (which I feel like how the hell did we get here I haven’t done anything holy crap), the following weekend is the Spartan Sprint (see further stress about that below), and the Color Run (for which I’m an ambassador and leading two teams) is the weekend after that. Hooooooly over-scheduled, Batman!

Next, the Spartan Sprint is in just a few weeks, and I feel completely and totally unprepared. I’m really disappointed because I signed up months ago with the intention of taking training very seriously and doing at least SOME strength training on a regular basis. As you all know, that hasn’t really happened because I’ve been so busy with rehearsals. At this point, I feel like I’ll probably survive, but I don’t think it’s going to be very much fun. I foresee myself doing a lot of burpee penalties because I won’t be able to complete many of the obstacles.

Chess the Musical, while incredibly rewarding, is causing me to be overtired as all hell. Performing the show also requires me to oscillate wildly between emotional highs and lows–I go from happy and in love, to bewildered, to happy and in love, to pissed, to devastated, and back to pissed, which is exhausting and confusing. And then of course, I’m faced with the final weekend of shows this weekend. Despite all the exhaustion and hard work, I’m not quite ready to let it go. This has been such a rewarding process and incredible opportunity… I’m just trying not to think about it too much.

Then of course, there’s work stress. I can’t go into too much detail because I’m still waiting for the dust to settle, but things at work are kind of up in the air right now (not due to me, but other issues). I have no idea how things are going to look when all is said and done. I may end up with a ton of extra work and responsibility that I absolutely DO NOT WANT, but don’t really have a graceful way to refuse. Or nothing at all could happen. But the waiting and the uncertainty is excruciating.

And then everyone’s favorite, financial stress. Between race registration, flights, hotel rooms and park passes, I’ve already spent 95% of the amount I budgeted for my Disney trip; that doesn’t even include food, so I’m having a bit of a heart attack about that. I’ve also wracked up a small amount of credit card debt this year, which I HATE. Ben and I are trying to very seriously figure out the timing of things like starting a family and buying a house, which is complicated by my stupid student loan debt and terrible money management skills. There are lots of spreadsheets and calculations going on, and it blows.

Lastly, my training is off due to the show. I missed an entire week of running, and then only ran twice the following week which, while totally necessary for my sanity and health, makes me nervous about my goal of completing two half marathons on back-to-back weekends. This is something that I really wanted to accomplish, but now I’m less confident that I’ll be able to manage it. And related to financial stress, I probably shouldn’t pay for another race registration right now…

Obviously, none of these situations is dire or life-threatening, and many of them are my own choice/fault. It’s just that a lot of things are all happening at the same time and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. Once the show is over, I think I’ll be able to handle each of the other issues in nice, bite-sized chunks as they come up. I have a plan for my financial stuff that I have already set the wheels in motion for, and I have plenty of help for the pig roast, so I have faith that the other stuff will com together. Sometimes ya just need to bitch about it, am I right?

What’s stressing you out right now?

How do you cope when you’re feeling overwhelmed?

21 thoughts on “Life Update: STRESS!

1. Olivia says:

I’m sorry to hear about this stress. 😦 I’m still figuring out how to cope when I get stressed, so unfortunately no answers here. However, something that seems to work for me is calling a good friend – one that I know will help me to have a balanced perspective. I’ve also found that when I want to process through my inner thoughts, journaling really helps. Also, prayer/meditation can be really grounding. I hope things at work get ironed out in your favor. Hang in there!

2. Brittany says:

Oh no! Stress is never a good time, we all know this. Right now, my new puppy (although he is cute and fun!) and planning a wedding are stressing me out.
    And while physical activity (like running!) helps me a lot with stress, sometimes it’s just not in the cards because of how BUSY I get. Then, I write lists. Or at least, a list. Of all the things I need to do, my goals, things to change, however you want to organize it. Only add to it when you HAVE to, and cross things off that list with RELISH. It helps me a ton to know that even though I have an uphill battle, I’ve already scaled a mountain :0)
    Take care of yourself, and remember to breathe!

I LOVE lists, and I have a Master To-Do List in a Google doc that helps me keep things organized. Good luck with the pup–I know first hand how much work that is, but it’s SO worth it 🙂

Stress? Oh yeah … never fun.

First – give yourself permission to be stressed and overwhelmed! Don’t blame yourself (regardless if it is of your choosing) and don’t minimize your feelings (we all know someone has it worse) … just accept that you are stressed and overwhelmed and work on that.

Everyone is different – lists work for some but stress others out more! And find your ‘relief valve’ and try to squeeze in a few minutes every day.

For me … just dropping older son at college in the heart of NYC, younger son on college search and getting ready to start senior year, wife new job stresses and long commute, my own crazy work schedule, the $$ of having a kid in a $75k/year college and the other also looking at expensive schools, the fact that our youngest pet is 8.5 years old (oldest is 14.5!), and our 11-year old dog is on pain and blood pressure meds now … and all of the other day-to-day stuff …

My release is running … and wine … and music … and nonsense with Lisa.

4. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Sorry to hear you are so stressed out! It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Usually when I’m stressed out I need to go run…no watch, no distance in mind…just go run and leave everything else behind. It might not solve any problems but I sure feel better after my run. Take it easy.

I’m glad that you are getting it out in the open so that we can help support you! That is part of why I had to come out with my Monday post–I just had to say something. You know that we are all so very much behind you. When I’m stressed out, I usually reach out to Alex, but as he is hit or miss right now, I spill it out to all you pour people.
    Or I sit around and watch Bravo TV. Or both.

Sorry to hear things have been so stressful. Then throw in performing and ouch! Running, Netflix and pizza are my go to’s when stressed. Hmmm, sleep should be in there. Are you getting enough sleep? Hopefully things at work will calm down for you soon. My work has been chaos for months and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. My September is equally booked and I am just trying to not look at my calendar too closely. 2 days at a time, that’s doable right?

7. allisonfiorini says:

Ugh, so sorry you are dealing with stress. I feel you for sure. Financially, I feel strapped right now. I’m back to work and we are in an awful heat wave – I WANT to run, but at the same time, it’s stressing me out and I dread it. Ugh. I’m looking forward to the second half of September when things slow down a bit. Everything is all over the place right now!

I think finances are the top thing that I will always be stressed about always. I totally feel your pain. I’m sorry that things have been a little nuts for you and I hope that it all calms down soon. ❤

Oof, you have a lot on your plate right now. Sorry about all the stress. It sounds like you have a lot of exciting and fun things coming up though so I hope you can enjoy every bit of it. The financial stuff is always the worst stressor. Student loans…ugh. I know going to school was a good thing but sometimes I feel like universities are just trying to destroy their students with how much it costs. But, in order to not go off on how our education’s financial system sucks, let me just say you’re not alone in the struggle.
    I really hope you have the best time at Disney! And hope things get sorted out as best they can!