Pseudo-Whole Life Challenge Check-In

I realized today that it’s been almost two weeks since I decided to try following a modified Whole Life Challenge diet. As I predicted, it’s been difficult. And even though I’m not following the prescribed compliant/non-compliant food list to a T, I still haven’t been “perfect” by any means. In fact, I went completely off the wagon at my parents’ this weekend. And then again at my mother in law’s birthday dinner on Monday. And that’s A-OK by me. Here’s a little bit of what this week or so has been like.

Pros:

• I lost a pound!
  • I’m eating lots more fruit and veg than I normally do
  • I’ve realized I have a lot more will power than I thought, and I have the power to say “no”

Cons:

• The cravings for carbs and sugar didn’t really go away, even though I was VERY disciplined the first week. I just want to bury my face in a vat of mac and cheese every moment of every day
  • It’s hard to stick to a “diet” when you’re a) away from home, b) want to have a social life, and c) neglect your grocery shopping
  • My will power is not limitless. When faced with a full turkey dinner cooked by my dad, all bets are off

Even though I went off the rails this weekend, I don’t think I’m giving up. I will continue to avoid sugar, limit alcohol intake, and try very, very hard not to eat bread, pasta, or processed foods for the rest of the month. But I’m also not going to beat myself up if I can’t stick to it. Realistically, eliminating entire food groups is not the way I want to live my life. More than anything, I’m looking at this as an exercise in will power. If I can say no to cupcakes at the office one day, I can say no to them other days. And as long as I say no more often than I say yes, I should maintain a relatively balanced lifestyle, which is ultimately what I’m going for.

What’s your number one, all-bets-are-off, can’t-say-no-to treat or food?

18 thoughts on “Pseudo-Whole Life Challenge Check-In

1. allisonfiorini says:

The problem is, I love all food. I can’t say no to pizza ever. Or sushi. Or any sort of dessert. The struggle is REAL. I love your outlook on trying this, though. I try to do the paleo thing but usually my week ends up being like 70% paleo, 30% everything else!

Sadly, just about anything put in front of me. I don’t have a great amount of willpower. I eat things that I don’t even like if they are in front of me.

I’m with Michelle on the wine, but also ice cream … and stuff Lisa or I bake … 🙂

But in general I have a pretty iron will. So if I decide to stop, I stop. Like soda. I was drinking 2 x 24oz diet Mtn Dew 5 days a week and about a year ago decided to stop. Have shared 3 sodas in movie theaters since then, but otherwise none. Done.

That’s incredible. I’m really trying to hone my will power so that I can make better actual decisions about what to eat or when, rather than just letting it happen.

Oof, I can’t even imagine trying to abstain from carbs and sugar… I don’t have the will power strong enough! Pasta would definitely be a can’t-say-no food, and also… stroopwafel 😦 I’ve been obsessed for the past month, and I kept telling myself I was just finishing off the package I brought home so I wouldn’t be tempted anymore… and then one of Drew’s coworker’s gave him another one. Nooooo! Sweet treats will be the end of me!

Pizza is a problem for me..and donuts. Luckily I refuse to buy the latter but I eat pizza way too often. I’m currently trying to blend quasi paleo, atkins with some indulgences. It’s not going so well, ha! Good luck with the rest of your challenge!

Oh boy…food!!! I’d say I’ve got a pretty good thing going since going gluten free – it gives me a lot more power to say ‘no’ to baked goodies because I know how awful they’ll make me feel. But I will never say no to french fries or a glass of wine!