Looking Back, and Looking Ahead

Waaaay back this past January, I made a 2015 Goals post, like you do when you’re a running blogger. And now, it’s time to look back on that post and see how abysmally awesomely I did, like you do when you’re a running blogger.

So what were my goals for 2015? Honestly, other than run 15 races and run 500 miles, I couldn’t remember without going back and looking at my original post. Oh, right! Here they are:

1. Volunteer at a race.
  2. Run at least 500 miles.
  3. Run 15 races in 2014.
  4. Run a sub-29 5k race.
  5. Run an actual 10k race.
  6. Don’t have any non-running months.
  7. Participate in the RW Holiday Run Streak.

So, how did I do?

I DID NOT volunteer at a race. I had great intentions. Truly I did. But when it really comes down to it, I’d rather be running a race than watching a race, and if I’m gonna get up early and plan a day around a race, I want to be running. I’d still really like to do this someday because I’ve heard such wonderful things, but alas, 2015 was not the year.

I DID NOT run 500 miles. It just wasn’t in the cards. This year was ridiculously busy, and I only trained for one half marathon this year, unlike last year when I trained for two. My final total ended up being about 356 which is almost exactly what I ran last year. Weird.

I DID NOT run 15 races. The biggest obstacle for me truly was time. I was SO BUSY this year that cramming in more races would have been stressful. And of course, racing ain’t cheap either, so affordability was another obstacle. But I ended up running 12 anyway, which isn’t bad.

I DID run a sub-29 5k race! And on my birthday, no less! Truly the best present I could have gotten, and at one of my favorite races. What’s not to love?

I DID run an actual 10k race. It was not my best race, but I finally did it.

I succeeded in not having any non-running months. I remained mostly healthy and totally uninjured this year, so even though my total mileage some months was lower than I would have liked, I ran at least a little every month.

I DID participate in the #RWRunStreak… But I quit after two weeks. I’m glad I tried, especially because it was one of my goals for the year, but I learned that streaking is not for me, and that’s A-OK.

And now, for 2016…  My only real goal is to complete the People’s United Bank Vermont City Marathon. It’s my first 26.2, and to me, it’s a big freakin’ deal. I plan to post more about this soon, but I’m taking this goal very seriously. So seriously, in fact, that I’ve hired a coach. Many of you probably know her: Coach Susie, of SuzLyfe. Training will begin in January, and I’m VERY excited.

Fallon over at Slacker Runner did a great post earlier this week about how she’s not setting goals for 2016, and that’s about where I am too. I understand that for some people, goals are very motivating, and help them get out and achieve great things. For me, goals can go either way. Sometimes, they really do help me keep up with running or push outside my comfort zone, but often, they just stress me out. Like, oh no, I have to confess to the world that I didn’t complete XYZ goal and now I’m a failure! And that’s dumb. Especially because this year is going to be crazypants busy anyway, what with marathon training and rehearsing a show at the same time. I think that’s quite enough to worry about.

Did you set any goals for 2016? Why or why not?

17 thoughts on “Looking Back, and Looking Ahead

I have in my calendar when I’m sending you all the good stuff for training 😀 I keep wanting to just send it to you now, but then I’m like NO YOU MUST WAIT. But get ready to have some fun!

2. prairieprincessrunners says:

I haven’t officially set any goals yet…but I did sign up for a half in June…and then hopefully Wine n Dine with you guys in November. I’m still really afraid that I’m not perfectly healed yet and that, when I start setting goals, Herbie the hip flexor will get angry and derail me….again.

I think that sometimes NOT setting so many goals is a great goal to set. (oh, and thanks to reminding me to go comment on Fallon’s post 🙂 )

Over the last several years we’ve gone from ‘New Year Resolutions’ – which were generic and vague and quickly forgotten – to ‘S.M.A.R.T. Goals’ which can be almost work-like and end up being TOO much to handle and feel like a job! Neither is really the overall ‘right fit’ for most people.

I think one of the biggest things that you personally can do – whether or not you bother setting running goals – is to integrate your already busy life into your planning and goal-setting.

I mean, if you are working and doing a musical, you know what your life will be like! You have a husband, family, friends, social life, and so on to manage on top of trying to run.

For me, when I look at your year, why not set some basic goals like “Do the Marathon with Coach Suz, and end the year having done some amount of running each month and remaining healthy!”

4. Rebecca Royy says:

I like Fallon’s post too! Fewer goals for me this year. Working on getting back to the basic fun of running without so many “have to” things

I’d say that was a great year, even if you didn’t meet all your goals! You met some, plus starred in a musical, plus actually kept up with regular blogging, and we’re basically awesome 🙂 As for my 2016 goals… I’m thinking I’m going to go the Fallon route, too. Maybe one big goal of trying to stay uninjured but… we’ll see!

Forget about goals, you were in 2 big shows this year- that’s awesome! And yay for an injury free year! Next year you are tackling a marathon and you’re going to do great! I look forward to reading all about your training. Bring on 2016! Thanks for the shout out!