And So It Begins…

This is it folks; week one of Marathon Training for the People’s United Bank Vermont City Marathon. Dun dun DUNNNNN. As I have mentioned a few times previously, I decided to hire a coach to help me through my first marathon.  A lot of consideration went into this decision, and I feel really good about it. Here are my top three reasons for hiring a coach:

1. It’s my first marathon and I have no idea what I’m doing. I want to finish and feel proud. I don’t want to end up injured, or feel sad about my time, or be totally burnt out on running.
  2. In addition to marathon training, I’m rehearsing for a musical. My schedule is BANANAS. I need structure, I need accountability, and I need someone to tell me to get my ass in gear when I whine about having to do a 16-miler on a two-show Saturday.
  3. Susie is awesome, experienced, and level-headed. I trust her. I like her. I know she will be tough when she needs to be, and hold my hand when I cry like a little bitch baby because marathon training is HARD.

I’m definitely nervous, but because I feel so good about my coach, the excited outweighs the nervous. I have The Plan for this month in my hot little hands and I feel good about it. I’m also really glad that I’m only getting it a few weeks at a time, because seeing 18 or 20 miles might cause me to flip a biscuit…

Does seeing high mileage on a training plan freak you out?

23 thoughts on “And So It Begins…

Sometimes people assume that because I toss off the miles now that I have ALWAYS been like that … and yet less than four years ago when I ‘got serious’ about distance running, I went from running 12 – 15 miles per week to >50 pretty much every week since. But back then I had run > 5 miles *once* – by accident!

So yeah, there were many years when seeing a long run would have absolutely freaked me out. But now … meh. 🙂

You will amaze and surprise yourself and you will realize that you are full of awesomeness and will totally rock this marathon and come out healthy and a different woman. Can’t wait to hear about it every step of the way.

I’m trying to focus on one week at a time and not get too far ahead of myself, but it’s scary to think that at some point I’m gonna have to surpass my previous longest training run of 10 miles, or even my longest EVER of 13.1. I just have to trust that by the time I get there, I’ll be ready for it, and I’ll have Susie to help me along 😀

2. prairieprincessrunners says:

Take it one run at a time or even a mile at a time. Just take it easy, relax and stay strong and uninjured. I feel like you are already 20 steps ahead by not starting training with an injury (which is what I did when I did my first/only full).

Yes absolutely. 🙂 This is so exciting!!! Congrats on starting your training! Definitely take it one week at a time and don’t let the higher mileage scare you too much. It’s just a long run and you’ll get through it fine. 🙂

4. allisonfiorini says:

Hi! So I missed a lot, but CONGRATS on getting ready for your first MARATHON!! AWESOME, lady!!

High mileage does not freak me out – it’s the intensity that scares the crap out of me. If you tell me I need to run 75 miles one week, no problem. Tell me that in those 75 miles I need to do track workouts and tempo runs, well, I’m scared. I’m following Hansons right now so I’m terrified every single week!

My biggest piece of advice for your first marathon? Run the miles. Don’t worry about paces. Yes, try to hit the pace that you intended to hit for the workout but ultimately, build that base and your endurance. Your legs will carry you on race day. Also remember that 18-20 weeks of training is a LONG time and your race will not be defined by one workout, or even one WEEK – its what happens after you survive the training that will help you on race day. You got this, sister!

High mileage on a training plan does indeed freak me out… training plans in general do 😉 I think going with a coach is a great idea! Maybe if I decide to tackle a marathon someday I’ll take that option too… lord knows I need the structure and accountability! I’m looking forward to reading your training adventures!

Training plans haven’t worked so well for me in the past because I rarely follow them. Now I know I have to tell Suz what I did (or didn’t do), and face up to it.

6. irishrunnerchick says:

Good luck! I remember the first time I saw something longer than a half marathon on my training schedule I was pretty freaked out. BUT you’re right to take it one week at a time. Once those 20 milers come up it won’t be as intimidating.

Yay for your first week!! High mileage long runs stress me out. 12 miles and I have a real battle–at least in my head we do. 🙂 It never ends well. But you have an awesome coach and the right mindset, so I am sure you will rock this training!

I’m happy dancing, and not just because you have the sweetest things to say, but because that is exactly how this is going to go: it will be hard, yes, but there will be no biscuit flipping (well, maybe just a bit)–when we get there, you will be ready. I will be there to hold your hand and, if necessary, pull you forward. But at the end, you will be just find holding your own hand 😀