2016 Race Schedule

I know, I know. Everyone and their mother is posting about their 2016 race schedule. You’ve probably read at least 6 of these posts already this week. But suck it up, buttercup, cause I’m going for it. If you’re not interested in yet another list of races that you’ve never heard of and will never run, feel free to come back later in the week.

So yeah, 2016 is The Year of the Marathon for me. My first marathon will be on May 29. But that’s only one race, and there’s a whole lot of year left after May. And plenty of fun opportunities between now and May that I hope can be squeezed into my training schedule. So, without further ado, my tentative 2016 race schedule. Things in bold text are definite, and things in orange I’m really excited about but haven’t committed to yet.

January
Ha! Nothing. Nothing but cold, snow, and treadmill running.

February
Hopefully Race Vermont will repeat their Valentine’s Day themed run. If not, I may do a virtual one with good swag.

March
Nada. Just marathon training and Mary Poppins-ing.

April
Nada. I’ll be too busy with Mary Poppins and marathon training

May
My birth month. Also, race-a-palooza.

• May 1: Middlebury Sap Run Half. Cause I am mentally incapable of running more than 10 miles solo.
  • May 7: Vermont Respite House Jiggety Jog 5k. This race is VERY important to me
  • May 12: Vermont Corporate Cup Challenge 5k. Can you say “Free Registration”? 😉
  • May 21: Craft Brew Races 5k. Because beer.
  • May 29: People’s United Bank Vermont City Marathon

June
Nada. Marathon recovery, baby!

July
Of course the two races in July I’d really like to do are on the same day, and a day I’ll most likely be on vacation out of state…

• July 7: Mad Half Marathon or Stowe 8 Miler
  • July 30: GMAA Women’s Round Church 10k

August

• August 6: Fairfax Egg Run 10k. You get an omelet at the finish!

September

• September 4: Archie Post 5 Miler.
  • Spartan Sprint. Not sure I’ll do it again, but most likely will.
  • September 24: Color Run 5k
  • September 25: Island Vines 10k. Because wine.

October

• October 2: Leaf Peepers Half. Possible PR attempt?

November

• November 5: runDisney Wine and Dine Half with Team Can-Am!
  • November 24: Zack’s Place Turkey Trot 5k

December

• Ri-Ra Santa 5k

While I would love to just run right out and register for all of these races immediately, I have learned that it’s better to pay a few dollars more for late registration than to pay an early registration fee and not be able to run the race at all. My schedule is nutty at the best of times, and this year will be no exception, with marathon training, a spring show, and hopefully some nice vacations 😉

Some of these races haven’t announced official dates yet, and may not be happening at all. I’m also poor as all get out after the holidays, so I will be VERY selective this year about who I race with. And any races between now and May 29 need to fit my marathon training schedule. My schedule might not work with any of the races I want, and I need to trust my coach and her plan to get me through this training cycle..

Do you like to sign up for #alltheraces at the beginning of the year, or do you wait?

24 thoughts on “2016 Race Schedule

1. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Very exciting about your 1st FULL! I don’t sign up for races too far in advance but usually before prices go up. I’ve signed up for two races (June – half and Sept – 5k/Half) but will probably run a handful of others. I’m super hesitant to sign up for races this year because of my hamstring injury last year. As for a FULL – I’m not sure it’s on the table for me this year.

Haha – *loved* your opening paragraph … because, yes, I feel like I’ve read six of these things *today*, let alone this week! 😀

Busy schedule – and definitely thought “wow … $$$” looking at the list. I know that most smaller races and non-big city events are less money, but still those things add up fast … or maybe I am cheap on what I’ll spend on running – well, in every sense except for time!

I have a few possibles – trail marathon in the summer, a couple of 5Ks, might like to find my first 10k in the area, I like the Corning 8K run but the schedule hasn’t worked for me the last couple of years … who knows. I just don’t stress on races 🙂

I actually have a spreadsheet with all the races I want to run and the registration fees, so I can keep an eye on how much this stuff is costing, haha! It surely does add up fast, which is another reason to be very selective this year.

Lol there have been a lot of these lately but that’s ok because I love hearing about everyone’s plans. Looks like you’ll be doing a lot of racing this year! I have a bunch of ideas for races but I’m trying to keep a pretty open schedule so I can keep doing what I want. I am signed up for 3 big races: my spring goal race (NJ Half on May 1st) and two big races in the fall (Wineglass Half and Rehoboth Beach Marathon). Other than that, I’m keeping options open right now 😀

You’re not kidding about May being race-a-palooza! 🙂 I used to be the “sign up for ALL the races!!1!” in January person but yeah, I learned the hard way last year that it’s not the best method for me. I’m going to take it a little easier this year, though I certainly understand the temptation to sign up for everything now!

5. irishrunnerchick says:

LOL! I love reading these posts. And I can’t wait to follow you on the journey to your first full marathon. I have signed up for some spring races but I’m going to wait for everything else – after a bunch of crappy races while slightly injured I’m now happy to pay an extra $10 to register closer to race day.

That’s exactly how I feel. I’d rather wait until the day or two before and be sure I’m ready to race than waste a ton of money. I hope that your return to running and racing goes well!

Nice schedule!! May is marathon month- good luck! I have a tentative plan but have only registered for my next race in a few weeks. I would rather pay more money and register late than lose it all and DNS. Even though there are a few I probably should have DNS’ed over the years. 🙂

7. Movin' it with Michelle says:

LOL loved the start of this post. I have only one race scheduled so far, with a half I am eyeing since it’s my PR race and I want to break sub 2 FINALLY so I may do it again. Other than that, I am going to wing it this year!

8. allisonfiorini says:

Love it!! You have a great year planned. I am not doing a race plan post, but I like reading everyone else’s. I know I’m running Boston, and I have a few little ones lined up as long as training goes okay. Usually I do sign up for all of the races early in the year, but this year I’m just winging it and seeing how it goes!!!

9. Run Away With Me says:

Woohoo! I love your race schedule! This is also the year of the marathon for me too (yay!) and I’m also planning on doing some half marathons as training runs because it’s so much easier than running long by myself. Good luck this year and I can’t wait to hear all about your races!