Manic Monday – 02/22/16

Manic

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 6: What Was Planned vs. What Happened

Monday 02/15/16: 30 Minute Moderate Run30 Min. Moderate Run
I had Presidents’ Day off, so I had the luxury of running outside, in the daylight, whenever I felt like it. I did a 10 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down on either end of this run, and felt freaking phenomenal. It was WORLDS better than Saturday’s freeze fest.

Tuesday 02/16/16: 45 Min. Easy Run45 Min. Easy Run
I REALLY didn’t want to do this run. I was in a foul mood and had a ton to do to get ready for my conference travel. I almost bailed, but in the end, hauled my butt to the gym and got it done.

Wednesday 02/17/16: 45 Min. WalkingTravel Nonsense
Our first flight was fine, but our second was delayed almost 3 hours, so there was a lot of hurry-up-and-wait, a gate change, calling the rental car company to make sure our reservation would await our actual arrival, and general stress. By the time we finally got to the hotel, we were already late for the cocktail hour, and then went straight on to dinner.

Thursday 02/18/16: 30 Min. Moderate Run25 Min. Moderate Run
I actually managed to haul my ass out of bed at 6 am to go down to the (surprisingly nice) hotel fitness center. Due to time constraints, I only managed 25 minutes, but it was better than nothing, and made sitting on my butt in a conference center for the next 10 hours bearable.

Friday 02/19/16: 45 Min. WalkingAt Least 45 Min. Walking
The conference concluded at 2 pm, so Freda and I drove over to Safety Harbor to see the sights and do some shopping before seeing Book of Mormon. We walked all over the place, and had an amazing dinner at Marker 39, a chef-owned restaurant where 80% of the food is local and organic. I had seared Mahi Mahi with rice pilaf, and it was to die for.

Saturday 02/20/16: 6 Miles EasyRest/More Travel Nonsense
Our first flight was delayed enough that it was doubtful whether or not we’d be able to make our connection. We landed with about 20 minutes to get from one terminal to another, and after learning that there were no flights to our city for TWO WHOLE DAYS, we booked it as fast as we could, and just barely made it. By the time we finally got home, I was dehydrated, hungry, and exhausted, so I decided to bail on the run.

Sunday 02/21/16: Yoga6 Miles Easy
After hydrating like crazy and getting a great night of sleep, this run felt awesome. I had a beautiful progression run without trying too hard, and felt happy and strong the whole time.

Weekly Mileage: 17.65
Total 2016 Mileage: 103.5

Having a cutback week that coincided with my travel plans was pretty clutch. Now this week starts another build period, and I have to run 12 miles on Saturday. I confess, I’m a bit nervous about that, but I think as long as the weather is better than for last week’s frigid 11 miler, I’ll probably be just fine.

Do you have a hard time keeping up with your fitness or training plans when you travel?

14 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 02/22/16

Nice week, especially with all the travel madness! *high five* I’m so jealous that you saw Book of Mormon… I was supposed to see it back in the fall and had to bail last minute, and I’m still disappointed. I hope you enjoyed it! 🙂

I definitely struggle with keeping to training while traveling. I have a trip for work coming up, and I’m hoping that having an *actual* training plan will help keep me on task. Fingers crossed!

Travel can be SO annoying! I was lucky that during my heavy work travel time (most of 2013) I got to use one of Corning’s private shuttles, which was walk-on/walk-off. At least that eliminated the hassles of commercial travel!

I tend to schedule my stuff around family – so if Lisa is off all weekend I will plan rest days, if she is working the weekend (like this past weekend) I will just run both days. And yes I know how fortunate I am to have a body that is cool with me saying “no rest day this week”. Vacations … we are always active so I don’t stress. In fact, I guess I don’t stress too much about training for races either. Oh well … it’s just running 🙂

Nice work getting in your work outs around your trip! The only travel I do is to races so luckily I never have to think about it. I hear you on the 12, I still had 12 milers. I have a 16 on the plan in a few weeks that I may hate even more though.😮.

4. irishrunnerchick says:

Nice week! Glad you enjoyed the Book of Mormon – I loved it. Flying sucks! I don’t travel a ton for work and I like to keep active during my vacations so I try to fit running where I can but it’s way more important to have fun, and drink and eat well.

Ugh, flying does suck. I never used to have problems, but it seems like my last few flights have all had issues. I’m hoping I hit my “bad flying experience” quota for a little while and can just go back to departing and landing on time.

5. allisonfiorini says:

Great job fitting it all in while traveling!!! I always stress about that, but over time I’ve learned what I can and can’t manage. For example, I am going away next week and I know I won’t be motivated to do actual workouts so I moved things around that my speed work happens at home, and I just need to run easy miles when I am away. I always plan one of my rest days to be when I’m away, too. Helps take pressure off and lets you enjoy the getaway!