Manic Monday – 02/29/16

Photo Feb 29, 8 13 05 AM

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 7

What Was Planned vs. What Happened

Monday 02/22/16: 30 Min. Easy Run | 30 Min. Easy Run
Nothing much to say about this run. It was quick, easy, and painless, and I did some planks and other core stuff afterwards. I’m trying to be better about adding in a little bit of strength more often!

Tuesday 02/23/16: 4 x 8004 x 800 With W/U and C/D
I ran a mile to warm up, then banged out the prescribed intervals at about my 5k pace, with 400 recovery in between, and a half mile cool down. I’m sure I’ve said this before, but I LOVE intervals. They always make me feel badass and strong, and this run was no exception.

Wednesday 02/24/16: Spin ClassSpin Class
This was my first class in several weeks, and I was really happy to be back. It was a great workout. The best part, though? The sun was FULLY UP when I left class. Spring is coming!!

Thursday 02/25/16: 45 Min. Moderate Run45 Min. Moderate Run
I did a 10 minute warm up and then got down to business. For whatever reason, it took me a long time to settle in, and I was watching the clock A LOT on this run. After about 30 minutes I found my groove, and this was a pleasant run overall. The gym was a bit crowded, but I still got one of the good treadmills (right in front of the AC vents), and my audiobook was good company.

Friday 02/26/16: RestRest
I don’t know what happened, but shortly after I posted this nice, relaxing picture:

shit went south, fast. My stomach started to cramp up and I had to RUN to the bathroom. I spent the rest of the night writhing around, trying to get comfortable, and eventually fell into a fitful sleep.

Saturday 02/27/16: 12 Miles Easy12 Miles Easy
After Friday night’s stomach troubles, I wasn’t sure this was going to happen. I slept in a bit, and took my time getting ready, hoping that whatever residual badness was in there would work itself out before I left. To be on the safe side, I opted to do 4 mile loops around my neighborhood instead of attempting an out and back. Loop 1 was pretty bad, and I wasn’t sure I’d finish. Loop 2 was surprisingly ok; I felt decent, my stomach was holding up, and it was a pretty nice day. Loop 3 was awful. My stomach started to cramp up again and I was tired, but I finished.

Sunday 02/28/16: YogaDance Rehearsal
I don’t know why I have such a hard time following through on Sunday yoga, but I do. I did a few strength exercises and danced my butt off at rehearsal, but no yoga. I also bought new shoes!

I tried on lots of different options, but ended up back in Saucony, the Guide 9s this time. The heel-toe drop is a bit higher, and the cushion is a bit more than what I was running in, but Sauconys seem to have the widest toebox around, and my big fat duck feet need that extra room.

Weekly Mileage: 24.5
Total 2016 Mileage: 128

That was my highest mileage week ever, and February will be my highest mileage month ever–almost 90 miles! Crazypants! My goal for the next few weeks is to prioritize recovery efforts, specifically, rolling. I always stretch well after every run, but I tend to let rolling go by the wayside, and I know I need it. My calves are crazy tight, and my legs are starting to feel some general fatigue that I’m sure can be mitigated with some loving from my Addaday and foam roller.

How often do you roll out your muscles? Do you find it makes a significant difference?

11 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 02/29/16

1. Darlene says:

I ran 12 this weekend too. And it wasn’t great. Since I am running the VCM relay, we’re on the same schedule. I have a few halfs in the middle though.

I am looking forward to seeing how a coach helps.

If I ever run a full, I’ll need one.

Awesome week and month Rachel! 🙂 You should be very proud of what you’re doing and what you’ve accomplished! Seriously – sure it is ‘just running’, but we all know that isn’t really true.

As for the stomach stuff, well – sh$#@!t happens.

Sorry, had to say it. I’ve never pretended to be a ‘grown up’. 🙂

But seriously, I think the thing is to look at things you ate that day and before and how you were feeling and in general see what might have reacted poorly. Everyone has a different system – Lisa’s reacts almost instantly, mine takes a minimum of 12 hours (once again my body seems engineered for endurance running).

Hopefully the change in shoes will work – I started on Nike Free Runs, tried New Balance Minimus, but settled with Saucony Kinvara (4mm drop). The cushion is moderate, and overall the fit works well for me. They keep messing with the toebox, but fortunately it still fits me OK, just means that by the end I will wear through the tops (on the Kinvara 5 at least, the 4 and now 6 are a bit better)

Again – it is great reading how well you’re doing!

Thanks so much, Mike! I usually have a pretty cast-iron stomach, so I’ll definitely have to take a look at what I ate. Probably time to start a food journal…

I also started running in Nike Frees and loved them, but switched to the Saucony Mirage (4mm heel-toe drop) when I started upping my distances. I hope that the extra 4 mm with the Guides does ok for me. Higher cushion and “stability” shoes have a history of making my toes go numb.

Nice work on toughing out your long run! I empathize about horrible stomach issues. It happens all to often for me. Do you always have popcorn? It has a good amount of fiber and that can mess things up. Our mileage is pretty close- I’m around 125 ish. I hope the shoes work out for you! Every time I try to up the cushion for long runs, the shoes make my knees hurt. Boo.

I’m sorry you have regular stomach issues. I’m very lucky that normally my stomach handles just about anything. I have popcorn 3 or 4 nights a week and usually don’t have issues with it, but who knows?

4. irishrunnerchick says:

Congrats on your highest mileage week ever! I’m with you on the tight calves. I’m going to treat myself to new shoes when I’m done with my marathon. I’m running in Saucony’s right not but I think they’re too much shoe for me so I’d like to try something different.

The Guides are definitely more supportive than the Mirages, so the jury is still out on whether or not I like them. I started running in Nike Frees, so everything else feels like a lot of shoe to me!

Nice week! Sorry to hear that awesome rest day moment was ruined by a dodgy stomach… that’s never fun. Well done getting your 12-miler done in spite of that! I certainly don’t roll out my muscles as much as I should… I find the roll so awkward. I’ve started using The Stick more, which seems better than nothing.

• dgobs says:

Yeah, same with my Stick. I think I’m a little scared of the pressure from the foam roller too, since my muscles are so frikkin’ tight, so the Stick makes me feel like I’m more in control, even if it’s not helping as much.