Cats Make Life Better

There are two kinds of people in this world: cat people, and non-cat people. I happen to be a cat person. Ben and I have two lovely adorable cats, Creemee and Rocket.

Photo Jan 23, 6 06 18 PM

They are best friends. They play together. They groom each other. They sleep together every night. It’s almost overwhelming how cute they are.

Photo Jan 18, 11 17 08 AM

Ben is also a cat person, and we are suitably obsessed with our fur babies. When I come home from work, I yell “Where are my kitties???” and they come running. It melts my heart.

Yeah, sure, cats can be jerks. Creemee likes to lick the mini blinds at 3 c’clock in the morning. Rocket likes to stand right on my boobs at all times. They chew on expensive bluetooth headphones and stick their heads in unattended cups of milk.

But these cats make my life infinitely better. When I wake up in the morning, Rocket literally follows me around the apartment, meowing and throwing himself to the floor at my feet, until I pick him up and snuggle him. He will sit in my arms and purr and lick my ears until I have to go make coffee or take a shower. And at night before bed, Creemee will jump up and slither beneath the covers, settle herself between my shins, and rest her little head on my feet, purring me to sleep.

Photo Feb 20, 3 52 23 PM

No matter how cranky or tired I am, these little lovebugs make me smile. And I know they do the same for Ben. When the world seems to be against us and life is really busy and shitty and hard, our cats still love us, and that’s pretty freaking great.

Photo Jan 18, 8 29 35 PM

Are you a cat person?

Do your fur babies (whatever kind you have) make life better?

27 thoughts on “Cats Make Life Better

Haha when I saw the title up there I actually said “yes they do” out loud! I am such a cat person. I have two guys…Oskie who I rescued in California 11 years ago this year and G who is from Maryland and about to turn 7. They are awesome! I LOVE your cats!

I love this post 🙂 I’m definitely a cat person. I grew up with a cat – got her when I was 1, and she lived to be 19! – and really miss having one now. Drew is also a cat person, and I think he’d be gung-ho to get one or two, but I can’t stop envisioning our furniture scratched up and cat hair on everything. (I’m terrible, I know.) Maybe someday I’ll finally break down!

Cats are definitely a$$holes … which is, of course, part of their charm 🙂

We have two cats and two dogs … quite a crew, really! Our dogs are 9 and 12 years old, our cats are ~9 and 15! The 15 year old is our ‘cancer kitty’ who really shouldn’t be alive anymore but doesn’t seem bothered by that reality!

Our younger cat was abused and neglected and we were actually asked to watch them (that cat, a much older one and the daughter of our cat) while someone moved … and of course they never took the cats back. Well, the daughter cat was taken by the son of the family that moved, but the other two were left behind (ok, it was my wife’s sister who did it!).

The poor cat basically lives in our basement, was traumatized and terrorized by the dogs the other family had – and the fact that they just aren’t ‘cat people’ … so we work with her. She loves us, but is incredibly skittish, alternating with being the most lovable little fuzzball!

It is sad that all of our animals are old (the dogs are small terriers with a life expectancy of 11-12 years … ) … not sure what we do next. 😦

Aw, poor traumatized baby kitty! That’s so sad. I love senior animals, they are so sweet and set in their ways. I hope they all outlive their expected spans and stay with you for a long, long time!

I love cats!!!! I always had them growing up. Mine is so ridiculously spoiled. She mostly gets along with the older cat but every now and then he decides to be mean to her. Neither of them like the dog so they agree on something!!

Hehe. It took Creemee and Rocket a little while to figure things out. Creemee is older, so she freaked a little when we brought Rocket home. But she had always lived with other cats, so she just needed to get used to him, and now look at them!

5. Chaitali says:

Aww… your cats are so pretty! I’ve got two cats as well and they really do make everything in life better. I hopped over from Coach Suz’s blog. I mentioned that I’m thinking about maybe doing my first full marathon but I didn’t know coaches were an option for first timers who are just looking to finish and don’t really have a time goal. She recommended checking out your blog to read about working with a coach for first timers so I’m going to check out the rest of your posts. But I couldn’t resist commenting on the kitties first 🙂

Thanks for stopping by! Always happy to meet a fellow cat person 🙂 I’m really enjoying working with Coach Suz, and if you have any specific questions that I haven’t covered on the blog, feel free to drop me an email at darlinrae[at]gmail[dot]com!

I feel like a lot of people have one bad experience with cats and assume they’re all bad. Admittedly, I’ve met some less-than-awesome cats, but I’ve met far more awesome ones than bad ones.

6. Brittany says:

I am NOT a cat person.. but I’m not a cat hater, either. (As a librarian, I would make so many enemies that way…)
    But I get it- I get being a cat person.
    I have a dog. He’s 9 months old and he was a tough puppy for a while there and he still does some insanely dumb/annoying things, but I can’t imagine life without him now. He is probably the best thing that’s happened to me in the past year :0)

• Brittany says:

OH believe me, I wish I was a cat person FOR the low maintenance aspect. Dogs are so. much. work. Especially when they’re young. But oh, so worth it :0)