Why I’m Not Auditioning for a Show This Summer

Those of you who have been reading for a while know that in addition to being a runner, I’m also a performer. Not professionally, of course. I wish! But I have a degree in theatre, and still do one or two shows a year, mostly musical theatre, because it’s something I’m very passionate about.

Last year was an amazing year; I had my Lyric Theatre comeback with Legally Blonde, and then in the summer I went on the play the lead female role in Chess the Musical. It was a busy, exciting, exhausting blur of a year, and I wouldn’t change it if I could. HOWEVER. I missed out on a lot last summer because of rehearsals.

rehearsal

I missed Ben’s family reunion, which is really important to me. We’re very close with his cousins and extended family, but generally only see each other at the reunion every year, or if someone gets married or dies. Because the reunion wasn’t scheduled until I’d after already committed to the Chess rehearsal schedule, I wasn’t able to go.

I also missed out on a lot of spontaneous summer adventures that are so rare and beautiful. If someone called at 5 o’clock and said, “Hey, we’re going for drinks down on the waterfront, wanna come?” I can’t, I have rehearsal. “Hey, we’re going to Boston for the weekend, wanna come?” I can’t, I have rehearsal. “Let’s go swimming at the Bolton Buckets!” I can’t, I have rehearsal. It’s kind of lame to have to say no all the time.

With how busy this year has already been, between Ben’s Nordic Ski schedule, marathon training, and rehearsals for Mary Poppins, I’m kinda already tapped out. I’m really looking forward to a few months with zero commitments. Of coming home after work and having glorious hours of sunshine to run (or not). Of having long, lazy weekends of brunch, swimming, hiking, and activities with friends. Of blessed SPONTANEITY. It’s gonna be great.

What are you most excited for this summer?

20 thoughts on “Why I’m Not Auditioning for a Show This Summer

1. Jenn @ Fairest Run of All says:

Totally feel you – that happens to me over ballet performances all the time! Our schedules don’t seem to be quite as rigorous as yours so I don’t miss out on a ton, but it still sucks when someone offers an exciting adventure and I’m like sorry, I have to dance around every Sunday FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. Or May 14. Whichever.

I support this! As awesome as being in shows is, there’s definitely something to be said for the ability to be spontaneous. I’m looking forward to being able to sit on my porch again and enjoy lovely warm weather! I also want to take more advantage of working in the city and being more spontaneous with after-work plans… though living as far out in the ‘burbs as I do, it makes the whole getting home thing a pain 😦 Ah well, yay summer!

3. Brittany says:

THIS sounds like a great idea. As important as it is to set goals and stay busy, it’s equally if not more important to give yourself “me” time, or flexibility to do what you want. Enjoy the summer of leisure- I think you’ve about earned it :0)

4. allisonfiorini says:

I completely get it. I always commit to things and then realize later the impact it has. I think you are going to have a great summer saying yes to all of those fun adventures! I am excited for summer in general because I’m a teacher, and, well…you know. The whole being off thing 🙂

Absolutely agree! I think it will be a great opportunity for you guys!

Last fall our younger son had two parts in their production of Scrooge after bouncing between tech crew and on-stage stuff for his high school years. The director is pretty awful (as a teacher as well, tbh) and led to a fairly negative experience for many of the kids, and Chris decided to skip acting for the spring show … and the tech needs were small so he didn’t get to help out there. That annoyed us a bit (c’mon, 2nd semester senior who has been involved with *every* production and variety show – total of 4/year since starting HS gets left out?), but he was like ‘Fall was nuts between marching band, musical, applying for colleges … oh, yeah and school! So I am fine not having something EVERY night!’

I have no idea what this summer will look like … not sure what either kid will do yet, we have no vacation plans yet … I look forward to time with Lisa and the boys, running … being outside a lot … who knows what else 🙂

Yes yes yes to everything Chris said about senior year. Holy cow, my senior year was insane. I actually stuck it out and did 8/8 shows because the director my senior year was really special, but that was also the year I added track and varsity dance team to my schedule.. Ah, to be young and have that energy again 😉

A “free” summer sounds amazing. I think I’m just realizing how busy my summer is going to be and it’s freaking me out. Plus, being a beach town means work gets insane around that time too. I look forward to enviously reading about your summer adventures. 😛