Manic Monday – 03/14/16

Photo Mar 13, 9 24 50 AM

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 9
What Was Planned vs. What Happened

Monday 03/07/16: 30 Min. Easy Run30 Min. Easy Run
The weather was warm-ish and sunny, so I set out for a nice, easy run. It’s delightful to be able to get a quick run in outside after work.

Tuesday 03/08/16: 50 Minute “Caterpillar” Run50 Min. “Caterpillar” Run
I warmed up for 10 minutes, then alternated 2 minutes of easy running with 30 second “surges.” My paces were pretty inconsistent because I was running outside instead of on the treadmill, but this run felt awesome. It was warm and sunny out again, and it was nice to be outside two nights in a row.

Wednesday 03/09/16: Spin ClassRest
I just couldn’t face a 5:30 am wakeup call. Could. Not. As I mentioned last week, I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by my ridiculous schedule. I did a few lame strength exercises before bed, but this was pretty much a rest day.

Thursday 03/10/16: 3 Mile Tempo5.82 Miles Total With 3 @ Tempo
This run sucked. I got to my usual gym location and they were in the process of replacing all of the treadmills with new ones. While in the long run this is awesome, it meant that there were zero available treadmills. I left, fuming, and drove to another location. I got on the treadmill in the worst possible mood and proceed to have to mentally flog myself in order to complete my scheduled time/mileage. I ran three miles at my marathon goal pace of 10:30 and it felt so freaking hard! I wanted to quit, or die, or both, the whole time.

Friday 03/11/16: Rest/Strength Rehearsal
We did our first full run-through of the show, and it was… special. We’re at that magical point in the rehearsal process where it seems like no one knows what they’re doing and how the hell are we gonna open in three weeks?! But at least I got some dancing and stretching in.

Saturday 03/12/16: 10 Mile Easy Run10 Miles @ 10:30 Pace
This is the fastest I have EVER completed a double-digit run. I’m not sure where it came from, especially considering I was really not feeling it, but hey, I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth!

Sunday 03/13/16: YogaA Bit of Strength Stuff
Yeah. That whole yoga thing. Why is it so hard to get there? I guess today I could blame it on the time change, but whatever. I did two loads of laundry and cleaned the apartment before rehearsal, so I wasn’t a total slug. I did some hip and ankle strengthening exercises, and danced and stretched at rehearsal.

Weekly Mileage: 24.4
Total 2016 Mileage: 180

I had a great phone chat this weekend with Coach Suz. It was really cool to actually hear her voice and get to talk about stuff. We focused a lot on nutrition, because that’s what I’ve been feeling crappy about, and she gave me some really great suggestions for ways to improve my eating habits, and just kind of redistribute the foods I’m already eating so they’re more effective. We also talked about my crazy schedule and how stressed I’m feeling, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER now. I may expand on this in another post later this week, but I definitely don’t feel as worried as I did.

What do you do when you’re planning a treadmill run, and there are no available ‘mills? I seriously almost pitched a fit…

22 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 03/14/16

Awesome week, yet again! I’m sorry your tempo run was no fun… serious props for getting it done regardless! There are 5 or 6 “good” treadmills at my gym, and the others are either harder on my knees or just old and crappy, and when I can’t get one of the good ones I get so bummed out. Usually I’ll walk on one of the crappy ones (if there’s one free) or hop on a bike to warm up a bit, keeping a hawkeye on the good ‘mills. Then I’ll try to jump on as soon as one is free. Hopefully next time you’ll have lovely, shiny new ones without having to go elsewhere!

Marathon training is so hard to fit in when you’ve got a million other things in life to do too. But you are doing it and succeeding at it!!! Congrats on your awesome 10-miler – I hope that left you feeling like a beast heading into this week 🙂

As for the treadmill predicament…that would totally throw me off too. And not only that, but I typically have 2 or 3 “favorite” treadmills and when those weren’t available and I got stuck with one I didn’t like (you know like the one in the stuffy corner where air doesn’t circulate as well to? lol), it definitely affected my mood. Good for you for getting through it though!

Thanks! I honestly almost drove home, I was so frustrated. I feel like there should have been some kind of email to let people know it was happening, or a sign at the desk or something. I just walked in and there were no treadmills!

Great week even with the challenges … and THIS is again why I think it is SO awesome you have teamed up with The Suz! Getting past the overwhelming stuff this week, dealing with eating, just having an objective outsider to talk to is all so invaluable! Hope you take a moment to be proud of yourself … you deserve it.

It is funny when you talk about how to deal with these challenges. This morning we were having a nice soaking downpouring rain that I could hear in bed before I got up, and knew the temperature was supposed to be ~40F and windy but getting colder during the day (meaning the wind and rain would be cold).

Getting up and ready was no issue, but then I opened up the door and felt the brisk blowing wind and rain, it would have been so easy to turn around and say ‘F that’ .. but instead I said ‘oh well’ and just went. It was cold and miserable, I stepped in way too many big puddles in spite of knowing the route and having a headlamp, and when I got home my skin was lobster red from the chilling, soaking rain and winds (Lisa even commented ‘OMG you look awful’) 🙂 But hey, oh well, right? I got in my run!

I saw your post from this morning and thought to myself, “Mike is SUCH a badass!” If I had been faced with that, I definitely would have said no way! That being said, it’s raining and 40 something right now, and I’m supposed to run tonight… I think I see a treadmill in my future!

4. allisonfiorini says:

Ohmygoshiwouldlosemymind if a treadmill wasn’t available at my gym! I would probably throw a fit. You handled it well! I am actually trying to buy a treadmill so I can quit the gym. I’m in the preliminary research process right now 🙂 Great week! I think working with a coach is really going well for you!

Seriously, Allison, I was thisclose to pitching a fit. I just tried to remind myself that the front desk staff is rarely in control of situations like that. I’m fortunate that I had another location near enough to go to. I would love to have my own ‘mill someday, but it’s not super practical for apartment life!

5. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Wow, your killing your training! Way to go 🙂
    Since I usually run on my treadmill at home, I only have myself to blame when it’s not working…usually when I have to do it’s 350 km maintenance. I probably would have given the spin bike a go and elliptical…but a much shorter workout.

I could have done something else, but I just really wanted to stick to my plan and run. I’m trying to be a little more flexible going forward so that stuff like that doesn’t ruin my mood.

6. hellyontherun says:

Awesome 10 miler!!! I rarely run on the treadmill but do have two I prefer. I def get bummed out if someone’s on it. I get super upset if the floor is full–the area where I do my core work–because I actually like doing those exercises and don’t if there’s no space. I seriously almost pitch a fit like you when it happens, lol!!

You are rocking this training!! Nice work! I’ve only ever seen all the treadmills at my gym full once. It did not make my happy. I rode the bike until on freed up. But I do whatever I can to avoid the treadmill. Daylight savings brings speed work back into play for me and I am not looking forward to tempos. They feel so hard!!