Manic Monday – 05/02/16

Manic

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 15
What Was Planned vs What Happened

Monday 04/25/16: 18 Miles | 16 Miles
You can read more about this run in this post, but the long and short of it is that I hurt myself attempting my long run, and I’m not sure how. I’m still trying to assess possible causes.

Tuesday 04/26/16: Rest | Rest
My left quad was still bothering me quite a bit, so I just did a bit of gentle rolling and tried not to walk around too much. I started feeling a sore throat before bed, but figured it was just allergies messing with me. FORESHADOWING! DUN DUN DUNNNNN.

Wednesday 04/27/16: Ladder Workout | Rest
Left quad was still tender, though not as bad as Tuesday. Once again I did some light rolling and a bit of gentle stretching, but otherwise just tried to leave it alone. My throat was REALLY sore all day, but just tried to put it out of my mind and sooth it with tea and salt water gargles. At bedtime though, I decided to take my temperature just for giggles, and wouldn’t you know it? I had a fever. 😐

Thursday 04/28/16: Active Rest/StrengthRest
I didn’t sleep at all Wednesday night because my throat was still sore, and I still had a fever when I got up for work, but I went in anyway. I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep, and I needed to provide coverage because half of our team is away at a conference. I left as early as I could, went home, and went to bed.

Friday 04/29/16: 4 x 8005k @ 11:31 pace
I took the morning off on Friday to get some sleep. I was so congested all night that sleep was difficult, but it started to break up in the morning, so I wanted to sleep while I could. After work I just got out there to get my legs moving again for an easy 5k, and then I immediately changed into my PJs and spent the rest of the evening relaxing before an early bedtime.

Saturday 04/30/16: 30 Min Easy Run | 4.5 Mile Run with Athleta
This was the first run with Athleta that I got to “pace.” Unfortunately, attendance wasn’t super great; only the other pacer and her husband showed up, but they were really nice and we had a good run.

Sunday 05/01/16: 20 Miler with Athleta20 Miler with Athleta
I might post more about this later this week, but for now I’ll just say, that was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done, and I’m so fucking glad it’s over.

Weekly Mileage: 27.62
Total 2016 Mileage: 313

And that’s mostly a wrap. My left quad and right foot issues came back with a vengeance during that 20 miler, so Coach Suz has me doing a modified long-ish taper to give everything time to heal up and get ready for the marathon. I’m still working on the shoe issue, because it has become apparent that I can’t wear the Mirage 5s for the marathon without seriously hurting myself and/or jeopardizing my ability to finish.

How is everyone feeling this Monday? I’m sore and tired…

12 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 05/02/16

1. Jenn @ Fairest Run of All says:

Not to beat a dead horse about the shoe issue, but another thing just occurred to me. You’re a dancer as part of musical theater, right? I’ve been told that dancers tend to wear their shoes tighter since we’re use to very fitted footwear. I generally wear a size 7 street shoe, but am a size 8 in running shoes. You might try going up a size. This may be old news, but I figured I’d throw it out there!

2. SuzLyfe (@suzlyfe) says:

So proud of you for this week. I know it was rough, but you pushed through like a champ. I’ll go in and update your calendar. and to echo Jenn, not a bad idea. I run in 8-8.5 and wear 7-7.5 street shoes.

I plan to hit up another running store this week to see if they can help, but not until my foot feels a bit better. It’s pretty sore today 😦

“Rae’s week in suck-ville” … not a comedy. 😦

Sorry for the crap week, but glad you are feeling better on the sickness front. It has been a rough one for a lot of people this year … hope you are at full strength!

As for the 20-miler:

“that was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done, and I’m so fucking glad it’s over.”

Be proud of what you’ve done and don’t let the soreness get you down. I really think that once you get past the shoe issues you will be fine!

And I like the idea of the proper sizing. Everyone’s feet swell when we run, and really they don’t just swell but actually grow and shrink over the course of a long run … and if there isn’t enough room & flexibility then either you get blisters or your feet compensate by shifting form.

I tend to leave my laces looser (still knotted tightly), and as often as possible use Lock Laces, which are elastic and allow your feet to stretch.

I hope you find something good at the shoe store!

Thanks, Mike. I miss my lock laces–I had them on my first pair of Mirage 4s, which will likely be my emergency shoes this week, since I’ve realized they have a lot less miles on them than I thought. And yes, I’m hoping for some help at the Ski Rack this week, too!

Boo!!!! I am so bummed to read that you are still having horrible shoe problems! As horrible as it sounds like it was- you did run a 16 miler and 20 miler in 7 days. That is nothing to be sad about- that’s intense! I really hope you can figure out the shoe thing in time to put some miles on them.

Boo sickness and boo injuries! Glad you’re on the ups by now, but still a bummer. Monday was rough for me too, and I ended up taking Tuesday off just to sleep and try to reset. Urgh.