Friday Free-For-All – 05/13/16

FFFA (1)

We’re house-sitting for Ben’s parents this weekend. This means we’re back at our old stomping grounds in Underhill. Which means I’m commuting 45 minutes into work each way. This time of year, though, it’s not so bad. No snow means it’s faster, safer, and a lot prettier to get back and forth. Plus, Ben’s parents have 2 dogs, 3 cats, a horse, and chickens, so we have lots of animal friends to snuggle and play with. It’s also quiet out there, and dark, so I’ve been sleeping pretty well, which is a nice bonus.

I ran the 5k last night with ZERO foot pain! I took it easy and was hyper aware of my foot the whole time, and I didn’t feel anything. Woohoo! I will obviously continue to be super conscious of it, and play all of my runs on the safe side. No more racing until after the marathon! I’m hopeful that with continued rest and rehab, my foot will be 100% ok by May 29.

My parents got me a $50 giftcard to Dick’s Sporting Goods for my birthday. In addition to all the other stuff they got me already! I think this weekend (as long as my foot is feeling ok), I’m gonna head over there and just dedicate some time to trying on new and different shoes, to see if I can find a good alternative. At this point, I’m pretty much committed to wearing my old Saucony Mirage 4s for the marathon, but I’m going to need something new soon, and I think since I’ll mostly be running shorter distances this summer, I can try something more minimal like Nike Frees. I used to run in Frees all the time and LOVED them, so that may be a good option for me. Fingers crossed!

Do you have to drive to work everyday? How long is your commute?

23 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 05/13/16

1. allisonfiorini says:

YAYYYYY for no foot pain and YAYYYYY for your gift card! Excited to see what shoes you choose. I don’t know if they sell the Brooks Launch, but I am loving those lately 🙂 Have a great weekend!

They have a pretty good selection of Brooks usually, so I’ll have to give them a try. I think I just need to throw my preconceived notions out the window and try a bunch of stuff to see what feels right.

AWESOME on the race with no pain! That had to be a huge boost despite the heat last night! So excited for you to hit the marathon healthy and ready to roar! 🙂

My commute is pretty awesome … my ‘home office’ is in downtown Corning, which is ~15 minutes of mostly highway with little traffic. But where I am 99% of the time, the Corning ‘Innovation Center’, is a 5 mile ride on back roads that is super easy. Only down side is it has taken me all week to get through a 2CD album this week … and the last song still won’t be done when I get home tonight 🙂

Lisa just changed jobs, and left behind her 1 hour, 40-ish mile commute into rural Pennsylvania and is now working in downtown Corning (15 minutes) and loving it! Yay!

Have a great weekend with all of the furry friends! We go to NYC tonight and bring Thing #1 home from NYU tomorrow!

Oh man, that new commute must be so nice for Lisa! I know I’m really spoiled with my usual 10-minute walk, but I truly can’t image the commutes that some people have to deal with every day. Ugh! Enjoy your time in the city!

I’m so glad your foot didn’t misbehave during the race! That’s great news! My commute is 75 minutes on average each way 😦 The worst part is knowing that it takes 20 minutes when it’s not rush hour. Ugh.

Glad your 5k went well!!! My commute can range from 45 minutes to an hour. it depends on traffic. The sad thing is that it is only 30 miles! Good luck with shoe shopping excursion! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• dgobs says:

If you want to feel better about your commute Fallon, mine is only 12 miles and it takes me about 75 mins! (Not trying to one-up you, just hoping it will make you feel less sad about yours!)