Manic Monday – 05/16/16

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 17
What Was Planned vs. What Happened

Monday 05/09/16: Rest | 10 Miles @ 10:33 Pace
I needed to make up my missed long run, so I set out after work intending to just take it easy and enjoy some birthday miles. The weather was great, not too hot, not too cold, and I had a decent route planned out. It took a while to get warmed up, but once I did, my quad was totally fine. Unfortunately, my foot was still bothering me quite a bit.

Tuesday 05/10/16: 50 Minute Caterpillar RunRest
I did a few ankle and hip strengthening exercises, but because of the amount of pain I’d felt in my foot on Monday’s run, and because we had dinner with Ben’s parents out in Underhill, I decided to forego a run and just let my foot rest. I also emailed with Coach Suz about possible next steps for treating the foot. Ugh.

Wednesday 05/11/16: Hot YogaHot Yoga
I’m still really, really jazzed about getting back to hot yoga. I’m hopeful that a more regular practice will be a good complement to running, and also help me manage my typically high stress levels.

Thursday 05/12/16: VT Corporate Cup Challenge 5k5k @ 10:23 Pace
It was hot, hot, hot, but I got it done, and it was pain-free. Stay tuned for a recap later this week.

Friday 05/13/16: Rest/StrengthRest/Strength
I did some hip and ankle stuff, but otherwise just took it easy and went to bed relatively early.

Saturday 05/14/16: 40 Minute Easy Run | 4.52 Miles @ 9:45 Pace
Not exactly an “easy” run, but I was with the group from Athleta, and they were all super speedy, so I felt compelled to keep up. Thankfully, the foot was without complaint during the run, but I’m still getting odd tweaks and twinges at other times :/

Sunday 05/15/16: 16 Miles EasyRest/Strength
I skipped this run. Blatantly skipped it. I’ve got plenty of excuses, but the long and the short of it is that I just plain didn’t want to do it. I’m just feeling over this whole marathon thing, to be perfectly frank. It was a gross, cold, rainy/snowy day, and I just plain didn’t want to run. I did hip and ankle strength but that’s it.

Weekly Mileage: 14.52
Total 2016 Mileage: 341.1

I know that skipping Sunday’s final long run really isn’t doing me any favors, but I honestly couldn’t make myself do it. I may expand on how I’m feeling later this week, but I’m trying to wait until I’m better rested before saying things that I don’t really mean and coming off super negative and rant-y. For now I’ll just say that there’s a lot going on at the moment, and I’m having trouble managing my stress and anxiety. My current mood is not helped by the fact that it’s currently spitting snow outside…

Tell me something fun on this cold, dreary Monday!

29 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 05/16/16

1. veryrach says:

I feel ya with the cold not helping AT ALL! It made me not want to do anything yesterday either; let alone a 16 mile run! sheesh! Things are hard.

2. Darlene says:

This why I may NEVER run a full. I just don’t want to train for one. Yes, I ran a race Thurs eve and boy was it hot!!! And now today, it is freezing.

3. sarahdudek80 says:

Yuck to spitting snow. Honestly, missing one run isn’t going to ruin you. Life happens and you have to do what is best for you. I hope you feel better soon. Some warmer weather would certainly be a nice start!

Thanks, Sarah! I whole-heartedly agree on the weather front. I also think I just need a solid night of sleep–I stayed up too late reading last night!

4. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

With all the aches and pains you are having I would probably feel the same way. Hope that you are able to rest and take care of yourself this week and your stress load is reduce. Your marathon is almost here!

Seriously with the snow! Ugh – we didn’t have a bad winter here in NY, but the spring is making up for it by being uber-crappy! 😦

We were trying to BBQ all weekend after picking up Thing #1 in NYC (which was still beautiful, 75 and sunny when we left!) But Saturday night was driving rain and wind, and then we had snow and hail on Sunday afternoon … eventually I just had to grill but I was alone out there and we ate indoors! Yuk.

Here is my totally non-expert advice: Your Priority #1 – 10 should be STAY HEALTHY, AVOID INJURY. After that there are goals like ‘complete the marathon’ … and beyond that who the F really cares?!? It’s just a frickin’ marathon. And as you say, you are already pretty much resentful of the marathon for the impact on your life. ***

Running should be fun – not a hassle, and you really want to avoid injury.

*** as an aside, the ‘personal impact’ is part of why I barely run races. I mean, yesterday morning I ran ~16.5 or so miles and it was no big deal – but a half marathon would have meant prep the night before, and then taken up half the day or so. Instead I got to have coffee with Lisa, then after I showered we ran a couple of errands and all four ate lunch together.

I’m bummed the weather ruined your BBQ plans! We managed to grill on Saturday night before the temps dropped. This whole racing thing is interesting. I just looked back and realized I spent over $500 on race registrations last year! And am on track to do the same this year! Maybe less racing, more running will help things stay more balanced.

6. Movin' it with Michelle says:

Don’t give up hon, you can do this! We’ve all battled injury during training (well at least most of us), may I suggest easing up on your “junk” runs and focus on building mileage for your longer runs? I did this tactic for my 2013 marathon, and even after hurting my knee managed to finish my fastest marathon EVER.

Snow in May!! That can happen? Seriously? Your final long run? Holy crap, your race snuck up fast! If I feel that way, I can only imagine how stressed you must feel. Sorry about that. I am glad to hear that the runs towards the end of the week were better quad and foot wise though. I hope you get some rest and that the sun comes out to stay for you!

Thank you! The quad is definitely at 100% right now, which is a relief. The foot though.. Not so sure. Ah well. Just trying to take it one day at a time and not freak out!

8. allisonfiorini says:

Don’t panic about that last long run. In 2013, I was training for the VIA Marathon. I skipped my final long run (23 miles) because I began running and just felt tired. I said, screw it. I did enough and turned around and went home. I ran a PR and qualified for Boston. Sometimes rest is more important than the actual running. You did the work – the hay is in the barn – now just rest up and TAPER!

I can understand how you’re feeling… I haven’t been good at sticking with training plans (as you know) but you’ve been kicking ass with this marathon training and I’m sure it must get old at some point! Especially if you’re dealing with foot niggles and crappy weather. Ugh. I hope you’re feeling better and that the weather is nicer!