Manic Monday – 05/30/16

Manic

Vermont City Marathon Training Week 19

What Was Planned vs What Happened

Monday 05/23/16: Rest | Rest

After a quick dinner at home, I went to a bra fitting party with a bunch of girlfriends. It was super fun, and I was still home and in bed by 10:30.

Tuesday 05/24/16: 40 Minute Easy Run4 Miles @ 10:28 Pace

It was pretty warm out, which was uncomfortable, but I just tried to look at it as a good preview of race day. It’s supposed to be quite hot and humid. Yuck! After the run I stretched out really well, then foam rolled and did some hip exercises.

Wednesday 05/25/16: Hot YogaHot Yoga

Other than overdoing it a bit on some quad stuff, it was a good class.

Thursday 05/26/16: 50 Minute Progression Run40 Min Progression Run

I was short on time because I had to run on my lunch break, so I only did 40 minutes. I had great negative splits and felt pretty good.

Friday 05/27/16: RestRest

I had a ladies’ night out with some friends, and then was home and in bed by 10:30.

Saturday 05/28/16: 2 Miles Easy + Yoga2 Miles + 45 Min Yoga

This was my final run with Athleta, and then they sponsored a 45 minute Yoga for Runners class when we got back to the store. It was fun meeting a bunch of VCM runners and getting a good stretch. Then I basically sat on my butt, carb-loading and binge-watching Gilmore Girls for the rest of the day.

Sunday 05/29/16: Vermont City Marathon | Vermont City Marathon DNF

Those of you who follow me on social media know by now that VCM was cancelled due to black flag conditions at the 4 hour mark. I was at mile 19 and knew I couldn’t finish without water stations, so I bussed it back to the start. Obviously I’ve got a lot of conflicted feelings going on, but you’ll have to wait for my recap for that mess.

Have you ever had a race cancelled while you were still out on the course?

20 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 05/30/16

1. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Are you kidding me? Oh my goodness, I’m SO sorry to hear it was cancelled and after making it to the 19 mile marker.
    The Ottawa Marathon this past weekend almost got cancelled but they ended up changing race start times, added more water, community involvement (water, hoses, etc.).
    Oh man, I’m so sorry! (I haven’t been on social media much this weekend).

I’m sorry the race was canceled, Rae… I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been after all the work you put into training! 😦 I heard some of my run clubbers didn’t get to finish either. 19 miles is still badass, as are you!!

I had a race canceled just as I was heading out the door to the start line (bad thunder storm rolled in) but never while I was running one.

• Rae says:

Thanks, Dana. I’m feeling pretty crappy about the whole thing today. Eating potato chips, drinking beer, and watching Harry Potter seems to be helping.

3. Darlene says:

I was there. I ran the 2nd leg of the relay. I was on mile 5 when they called it I did finish.

I was really pissed that they lied. They told us that there was no support, no timing, etc.

But NOT TRUE.

There was water stations, medic support, sprinklers, ice, etc. There was timing and medals at the finish line.

I wish you had continued.

4. Pam says:

I’m so very sorry about your race. Weather conditions are beyond your control, but after hard training for a marathon it absolutely stinks to have to stop when you did. Hopefully you can recover and then make plans for a fall marathon.

I am so bummed that you weren’t able to finish. Everything I’ve read about the races says it was rough out there. I was really rooting for you out here. I am sorry all your training ended like this. 😦

As I noted on social media … I have never had a cancelled race, but have had a couple of 80+ finishes, and in particular one Wineglass Marathon … I remember finishing Wineglass marathon one year it was 88 and humid – that is no joke! I passed 3 ambulances taking fallen runners and was twice asked by police about people down on the course! The medical tent was overflowing as well! I don’t know what the cutoff to cancel was for that … but it gets dangerous fast!

Glad you stayed healthy, and chose the safe path of taking the bus back!

7. veryrach says:

wow, on one hand I am sorry to hear it was cancelled on you… but on the other hand.. 19 miles is still freaking amazing!! The marathon let you off “easy” lol. I can’t wait to hear your re-cap.

8. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

I know there really isn’t anything anyone can say to make it any better, but for now, just put it behind you. When your head and heart are in better places, then maybe look back and decide what you want to do next. Sometimes space is all you need.