Friday Free-For-All – 06/03/16

FFFA (1)

I officially have a part-time job at Athleta! I filled out paperwork on Wednesday and start training next week. I have absolutely loved everyone I’ve met at the store so far, and I’m excited to start learning. Also, I get a pretty sweet discount, which will make it really hard to *actually* save extra the money I’m earning to put toward student loans.

I relinquished my Nuunbassadorship. Unfortunately, they reformulated the product late last year, and I’m really not a fan. Firstly, they added Stevia, which I HATE. I actively dislike the taste of Stevia, and it totally ruined the flavor for me. Secondly, each tube used to have 12 tabs; now each tube only has 10 tabs, even though they cost the same. I loathe companies who start downsizing their products and still charging the same price. I get that prices change, but I think there’s something inherently dishonest in charging the same amount for less product (I’m looking at you, 16 oz bottles of soda-I want my 20 oz!). I’d rather just have them increase the price for the same size product. Is that crazy?

I went for my first post-marathon run today. My quads were pretty sore for a few days, but other than that, no issues, so I decided to take it to the new-to-me section of the rec path that I discovered during my walk yesterday. It was pretty hot and humid, and it took a while to warm up, but I’m happy to report that everything seems to be back to normal, so I’m ready to get back to regular running next week.

How long do you usually wait to start running again after a big race?

13 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 06/03/16

1. hellyontherun says:

I love this post. First, yay for Athleta! I sometimes think about working retail b/c I did it for a long time in college and even when I taught, but the scheduling is tough with kids. Can’t wait to see all you new goodies!

Second, I love how honest you are about deciding to leave your Nuun-bassadorship. One of the things about being an ambassador and that sometimes makes me question someone who is one for something, is if they *really* like the product. You are SO awesome for staying true to your convictions.

Finally, yay for running/walking!! I’m glad you tried a new route too! Have a great weekend, friend!

• Rae says:

I’m so excited to start working at Athleta. I love their clothes and their culture! And yes, it was very important to me to be honest and true to my own opinions regarding Nuun. When I heard they were adding Stevia, I figured I wouldn’t like it, but went ahead and bought a tube to try just so I could have a true opinion–what a waste of $7!

2. Rebecca Royy says:

Athleta!! Nice. Now can you solve a question for me? Is it pronounced ath-lee-ta or ath-let-a? Anyway, I do the same thing…work p/T retail. I really do try to save a bit, but??? Not sure

• Rae says:

Yes, we’ll see if I’m able to actually save any of it. As for pronunciation, I’ve heard it both ways, but I’ll be sure to ask what the “official” pronunciation is and report back 😉

Hooray for Athleta!!! That’s awesome news!! 😀 I’m also upset that Nuun changed their recipe – I loathe the taste of Stevia. I didn’t know that they downsized the tube count though – that’s not cool! I bought one of the new tubes and tried one tab before giving it away, and just assumed it was still 12. I’m trying to make my stash of pre-change Nuun last as long as possible…

• Rae says:

Yeah, I was VERY unhappy. I still have a bit of the old stuff left, and last time I was in Sierra Trading Post they had some overstock of the old stuff for only $4, but I think it’s time to just cut the cord and find something else.

• dgobs says:

If you find a good replacement, let me know… I’m on a quest for a substitute myself!

As everyone else said – great news on the Athleta job … but beware the siren song of the ‘great discount’! haha our older son is working this summer at TJ Maxx, and also worked there his senior year of high school and learned just how quickly those great deals can chew up a part time paycheck!

And I also applaud you for dumping Nuun for clashing with your personal standards. Too often I see bloggers who will champion pretty much anything and feel trapped as a result! I am also not a fan of products shrinking size and charging the same – Consumerist has an entire category dedicated to the practice (https://consumerist.com/category/grocery-shrink-ray/).

I was happy to see you get out and try that new location for a start-back run! It looked really cool in your IG post yesterday! I love finding new paths … but seldom do 🙂

As for post-race rest, I generally take 1 day. After my first marathon I took two days and then was going to ramp back, but really just did a shorter run on day 3 and then back to normal. The only time I didn’t take a day was after the super-hilly marathon in the Grand Canyon of PA, because I was on a plane the next morning, and I figured that running would help stretch out my legs. Great idea, but walking up stairs was still an adventure 🙂

Happy Friday!

• Rae says:

I think focusing on my goal of being debt free by Christmas 2017 will help me stay focused and not spend too much! Have a great weekend!

Congrats on the Athleta job! That’s great news. Hmm, I feel unobservant, I hadn’t even noticed the change in the number of Nuun tablets, but that does explain how I am going through it faster. I love Skratch Labs hydration mix. My only gripe with it is that I make huge mess every time and I haven’t figured out a good way to bring it with me on trips. I’ve been using Nuun more just for the convenience sake. Actually, the other day I just dumped a salt packet in my water bottle. It wasn’t bad. 🙂

Yay for the athleta job! I think that if you had had the full marathon, I would have liked to see you wait a bit longer, but with what actually happened during the marathon, I think you are ok to start running again. Just keep it chill (I know you will). Proud of you!