So What Now?

You might have noticed that I’ve been taking this whole marathon DNF thing pretty hard. I honestly feel like I’m grieving. Like I’ve lost something that I can never get back. I’m still sorting through my feelings and trying to decide if another marathon is a) in the books at all, and b) if I want to do it sooner rather than later. It’s hard to figure out, and I’m taking my time. Of course, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t already looking at fall marathons (it’s part of the decision-making process), but NOTHING has been decided yet.

In the meantime, though, I’m trying to find something else to focus on, and THANK GOODNESS I’m already signed up for a 10k race in July.

Coaster Swag

On July 16, I’ll be running the Run or Ride 10k at the Great Escape theme park in Lake George, NY through my association with the BibRave Pro program. There are MANY reasons I’m excited for this race. Here are just a few reasons:

1. The Great Escape is my favorite theme park
  2. My favorite rollercoaster, the Comet, is there
  3. I’m thinking a 10k PR is a distinct possibility
  4. I get TWO medals–one for running, and another for riding rollercoasters

This week is week one of my 10k training plan, and I’m VERY excited to get back to speed work and running shorter, faster distances.

I also need to re-learn how to eat like a normal person, and not a person who is training for a marathon. For the last several months, I have literally been eating whatever I want, whenever I want, with very few restrictions. For a short while after my chat with Coach Suz, things were better, and then they weren’t. I sort of mentally threw my hands up in the air and said “Fuck it! I’m marathon training. I’ll deal with this shit later.” And now it’s later and it’s time to deal with this shit. Time to back away from the sweets and the booze, dial in portion sizes, and eat a lot more fruits and veggies. Thankfully, summer is pretty much here, so it’s a lot easier to access tasty, fresh produce.

I’ll still being going to hot yoga once a week, which I’m very excited about, and I’ll be trying to incorporate even just a tiny bit of strength training into my workouts, because I know I can only benefit from it. I’m also excited to get back to running with various running clubs again. The Terrible Turtles are all WAY faster than me, but they’re fun and welcoming, so I hope to join them at least once a week for a long run, and maybe a few trail races too, which would be totally new to me.

Do you like to ride rollercoasters?

25 thoughts on “So What Now?

1. Jessica @ Fit Talker says:

I used to love roller coasters but as i’ve gotten older, i’ve developed a bit of motion sickness (not fun), so now I skip them. Although I do wonder if popping a dramamine would help (if I could stay awake). 🙂
    I’m running my first 10K on Saturday!

2. Darlene says:

I’ve considered that race too. It’s hilly so I wouldn’t get a PR. I don’t do the big coasters, though.

Enjoy.

Awesome! I love roller-coasters, and when all the kids (our own as well as nieces & nephews) I was the ‘roller coaster ride-along designee’! 🙂

Also LOVE Great Escape – my wife grew up in Glens Falls (~15 minutes south of Lake George) and we had our wedding reception at the Fort William Henry Hotel (overlooking the lake in August … gorgeous!).

Also can’t think about Great Escape without thinking about having a huge ice cream from Martha’s – twist with a chocolate dip! Maybe that is just because I think about ice cream too much …

Along the lines of food – both my wife and older son (freshman 20lbs, of course!) want to lose weight, so we’re all doing MyFitnessPal tracking, which is great for personal accountability of eating and tracking calories … though the integration of fitness tracking seems really wonky to be honest.

Good to remove the focus from the marathon and on to other things. Marathons will be there … no stress, no hurry 🙂

• Rae says:

I’m using MFP too. I have a hard time with it just because estimating portion sizes or dealing with prepared food on the go can be hard, but it’s better than nothing.

4. Nora says:

Having just finished my goal race I’m struggling with nutrition too. It seems worse when I take rest days; I just want to eat and eat. I’m hoping this is partially PMS.

• Rae says:

Ugh, it’s so bad. I’m just used to being like, “Eh, I’m running 30 miles a week, it’s fine.” Not so much anymore. Whomp whomp.

That 10k sounds awesome!! I’m not the hugest fan of rollercoasters… I’m sort of a wuss. I’ve been on 3 or 4 and had fun maybe one of those times. I’m glad you have a fun race – and a fun park! – to look forward to!

6. hellyontherun says:

I can’t do coasters. I just can’t. They freak me out. I’m not afraid of heights–I think it’s just me not trusting something man-made to throw me in the air, lol. It sounds like fun race though and I’m glad to hear you have something to look forward to 🙂

That sounds like a fun race! Do roller coasters at Disneyland count? Those seem to be the only ones I ride. I am a fraidy cat when it comes to some of the other amusement parks. Dramamine is a necessity though.