Friday Free-For-All – 06/10/16

FFFA (1)

I had my first training shift at Athleta on Wednesday. So far, so good. The people are great, the environment is dynamic, and the discount is BALLER. My second “training” session will be tonight, which basically involves me trying on ALLTHECLOTHES. The theory is that in order to properly sell and represent the brand, I have to know how it feels, how it fits, and how to style it. I’m excited to try on all the pretty things! Of course, this is probably going to make me want to buy all the things, but I need to stay strong.

Ben and I are about to adult super hard and go see a financial planner. Yes, I work for a financial planning firm, but I want to keep my personal life separate from work as much as possible. We’re trying to get really serious about buying a house and starting a family sometime in the next year, so we need to get our shit together. For people our age, we’re actually pretty savvy (I think), but we need some professional guidance for the next steps.

I did something stupid last night. I went roller skating with friends. It was great. I was having fun. I was doing well. Then I tried to exit the rink a little too quickly, my legs went out from under me, and I went down HARD on my tailbone. I don’t think it’s broken, but it’s pretty painful. Walking, stairs, and standing up/sitting down hurt. Sudden movements hurt. I’m not sure I’m going to be able to run at all the next couple of days, which is very frustrating. Aside from being in pain, I feel pretty stupid for not being more careful. Β It’s hard sometimes to remember that I’m not a kid anymore, and stuff like roller skating should be approached with a little more caution.

When is the last time you went roller skating?

13 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 06/10/16

1. Rebecca Royy says:

Oh gosh hope the tail bone feels better soon! I love to skate too. Haven’t been in a few years but it is fun! Enjoy trying on the clothes at Athleta and dont forget to edify us on the pronouciation

Athleta gig FTW! Tonight’s training sounds like a ton of fun, and also a really good point! I’m sorry about your tailbone… been there 😦 I went rollerskating a few years ago, back when I thought I was going to do roller derby. I skated around my driveway a bit, realized I was utter crap, and hung up my skates (at least temporarily) while I discovered how much I loved running. I have done the same tailbone-smashing exit of a rink before though, so I feel your pain!!

• dgobs says:

You totally should!!! They sell special padded shorts you can wear that protect your tailbone… they don’t even look *too* ridiculous. I may have bought myself a pair. Someday I may consider a derby career again πŸ˜‰

Ugh – sorry about the fall! Hope everything feels better quickly!

We were recently thinking about roller-skating when it came up in our TimeHop (I think in February?), that it had been ~5 years since we went as a family roller-skating. We do try to go ice skating every year, but I find I worry about my ankles much more now! πŸ™‚

I have to confess to mixed feelings about the noun-to-verb thing of ‘adulting’ … but maybe that is because I was adulating before most of you damn kids were born! And get off my lawn, dammit! arrrgh! πŸ™‚ Seriously though … I think it is great you’re seeing a financial planner – it should really be able to help you hit your goals! (and also, I think that ‘adulting’ hits me like a lot of those classic business-speak verbing words)

• Rae says:

Hehe, I mostly use the term because I find it amusing. I know that I am a fully-functioning adult, but sometimes I just find myself utterly bemused by exactly how “adult” I’m acting.

Getting paid to try on clothes?! Sounds awesome! I think the last time I was on roller skates my mom broke both wrists. Haven’t been on skates since. Hope you feel better soon! Pain while sitting is never any fun.