Manic Monday – 06/13/16

Manic

Roller Coaster 10k Training Week 1
What Was Planned vs. What Happened

Monday 06/06/16: Hot YogaHot Yoga
I’ve switched my yoga day from Wednesday to Monday, and this was my first class with the owner of the studio. He’s awesome. We did equal amounts of gentle stretching and energetic flow and I felt great.

Tuesday 06/07/16: 3 Miles Easy + Arms3 Miles + Arms
I got up at 5:30 am and banged out 3 miles, then did a tiny baby arm workout. I’m glad I got up early because by the time I left for work, it was pouring rain, and rained off and on the rest of the day.

Wednesday 06/08/16: 3 Mile Tempo1 Mile w/u + 3 Tempo Miles
My splits were 10:54, 9:46, 9:27 and 9:22, so this was actually more like a progression run, but I’ll take it. My goal pace for the 10k is 9:30, so the “tempo miles” were pretty spot on.

Thursday 06/09/16: Rest | 2 Hours Roller Skating
This was all fun and games, and pretty good exercise too, until I fell hard on my tailbone. Not good.

Friday 06/10/16: 3 Miles Moderate | Rest
After my fall on Thursday, I was in a significant amount of pain just trying to make it through my daily life, so I decided to forego running and just try to get better.

Saturday 06/11/16: 6 Miles | Rest
My tailbone was still quite painful, so I just tried to rest and relax as much as possible.

Sunday 06/12/16: RestRest
Still in pain. More resting.

Weekly Mileage: 7.07
Total 2016 Mileage: 399.57

Well, that’s definitely not the first week of training I wanted. I’m still in quite a bit of pain, and it doesn’t seem to be getting much better, if it’s getting better at all. Unfortunately, there’s not much point seeing a doctor or getting x-rays, because the only treatment for a broken or bruised tailbone is rest, and I’m not going to pay to have someone tell me what I already know. According to the wise and all-knowing internet, a bruised tailbone can take up to 4 weeks to heal, while a fracture can take up to 12. Oof. I’m trying to stay positive, but it’s hard.

Have you ever had a non running-related injury affect your running?

14 thoughts on “Manic Monday – 06/13/16

So sad to hear it has persisted … and (still) hope that it is just a nasty bruise (or anything that reduces the time extent of pain).

You really DO deserve a break!

• Rae says:

Thanks, Mike. I think I may need to bite the bullet and go buy a donut to sit on at work. It hurts my pride, but sitting all day at work is very uncomfortable 😦 And anything I can do to minimize healing time is a good thing.

Oh no! Your week started off so wonderful and then ugh! Really hope your tailbone heals quickly. That’s so frustrating!

Dang tail bone! I am sorry it’s still hurting! I can’t imagine how you are sitting, ouch! Does ice help at all? Not sure how that would work either, though. I hope you feel better sooner rather than later!

• Rae says:

Icing does help sometimes, but it’s awkward to do at work :/ It’s starting to feel just a bit better, but it’s very frustrating.

Boo tailbone, boo! Tailbone injuries are so incredibly frustrating since, like you say, there’s really nothing you can do to help them heal other than rest. And they hurt so bad! A few years back I woke up one morning to find I couldn’t move my head at all, due to sleeping funny and a lifetime of bad posture. That kept me from running for at least a month, which was a drag. Sending you healing thoughts and hoping your tailbone heals up ASAP!